Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders >

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

Old 08-02-2011, 04:34 PM

I had surgery for this same thing about 2 years ago. I kept putting the surgery off for a long time but had to go the doctor for the cortisone shots just to get through the day. The surgery itself only took 15 minutes and I had a local so I was awake through the procedure. I went back to work 2 days after the surgery and was fortunate that my surgeon let me talk him into using an ace bandage instead of a cast. Honestly, the surgery to me was a life saver!! I hope you get the relief you need quickly.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:36 PM

My sympathy. Use this down time to research a technique you are not familiar with, watch quilting tutorials on line, study quilt patterns and plan your next quilt or 20, check out some good books at the library, or take a nice long nap for me! Take care and follow the doctor's orders. It will pay in the long run.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:39 PM

OMG! I don't know what i would do??? Maybe reorganize and plan out all the projects that will be waiting for you?? Sending HUGS!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

What are you taking for the inflammation?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Grab your lap top and be in charge of answering all of our questions. LOL. Hope you get to feeling better.
Blessings
Pam :D
Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Maybe you could teach yourself to sew with your toes if you get too desperate!! :roll: :lol:
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
What are you taking for the inflammation?
No meds, other than the cortisone patch my OT put on under the splint. That was on for only 12 hours tho. Ice both wrists 5 X/day. If I keep the splint on, then it doesn't hurt.

I did stop at the library on my way home from work yesterday and checked out 5 books. Leaving on vacation to the fireworks convention on Sat. for a week. I'd be away from sewing then anyway.

What's harder than not sewing is not being able to use my thumb and remembering the correct position to keep my left thumb in so it can rest and not get as bad as the right and then need to get a splint on it too.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM

I don't know what I would do. I can't talk without my hands and quilting is so important. Do what the Dr says. Read or listen to books on tape.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Listen to your Doctor. That may NOT take care of the problem. I've had wrist surgery to release the band that surrounds the tendons of the wrist and thumb. I've had 3 injections in the thumb joint and 4 in the wrist. I've used ice, Polar Ice, Bio Freeze, hot parrafin wax (this does give relief for awhile). I've had Sammons splint, black wrap around splint with metal in the wrist area to prevent me from moving my wrist, I've been to physical therapy, occupational therapy, they've made a hard splint that I've had to wear a 'sock' over, the injections of cortizone and now I've been on Lidoderm 5% pain patches and Vicodin tabs for pain since 2004 when I got hurt at work. This is very serious. I'll say a prayer for you. My injury occured at work because I thought the more that I did, the more money I made. I made real good money. BUT YOU CAN'T GET BACK YOUR HEALTH. It wasn't worth it. Cheryl

PS: Binding a quilt is the most painful that I do. It takes me about 10 inches of binding before my hand starts aching. But I don't like the way that it looks machine done.