Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Non-Quilt Sewing

Non-Quilt Sewing

The only real sewing I have done has been on quilts. I am now trying to branch out and try other things, clothing, housewares, etc. Any suggestions for a beginner? Easy patterns to try?

Blog Entries
    An apron for when you quilt.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Smaller curtains? Certainly more expensive than store bought but lots more fabric choices that way!

just a tip, most sewing other than quilting uses 1/2"-5/8" seam, hard to get used to the difference so try to remember

The cost of patterns has really gone up, along with the coat of fabric it is not really worth "sewing".... Generally, anyway. IMHO.

There are soooooooooo many helps on the internet. Google free beginner sewing patterns or how to learn to sew. Even though you know how to sew quilts there are many things done differently in making clothes, crafts items, toys, etc. I do a lot of charity sewing and haven't had to buy a pattern yet.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    just a tip, most sewing other than quilting uses 1/2"-5/8" seam, hard to get used to the difference so try to remember
    Yes, that was difficult for me to switch from sewing 5/8" to a 1/4" seam allowance. Considering making some tops so I wonder if I can handle the switch back.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Check out you library for books on sewing. My local library also has a give and take pattern area. Fabric shops also run specials on patterns that are $1-$2 each. Walmart carries some inexpensive patterns.
    If you can find a sewing buddy that would be great. Don't try to take shortcuts. Your finished garment will not look right if you do. Be careful to cut things on the grain line indicated on the pattern so that your finished garment hangs right. Many times you won't save money by making something yourself given the price of the pattern and material but you will get something that fits and you enjoyed making. Look for patterns that can be used again and again to get your money's worth. I use inexpensive muslin to draw my pattern on (tracing the store bought pattern) so I can make any fitting adjustments, it is more durable than paper, sticks to the fabric better so fewer pins needed and still maintains the integrity of the original pattern, which now come in multiple sizes, to be used again.
    My mother was a beautiful seamstress and taught me how to sew. I am so glad she did because it has given me many hours of enjoyment.

I love that patterns are now available in "cup" sizes...I used to do garment sewing, and I am anxious to give it a try again. Price of patterns has really gone up, but I just make a list of pattern numbers I like and wait for a sale/ coupon at JAF and stock up. Start simple-skirts, aprons, pillows-and Google help if you get stuck. Have fun!
    Last edited by jillmc; 05-07-2015 at 04:15 AM.

dd
    Joann's has patterns on sale for $1 or $1.99 at different times. Just keep an eye out for those sales and buy a couple different things that look interesting. Skirts are the easiest to make. Tops don't have to fit as well, they can be a little baggy and pants are the hardest. Patterns have a rating system. Look for one that says "easy" on the label. They have a section of easier pattern but they aren't on sale because they are normally cheaper anyway. PJ pants are another easy clothing item. They have a section in the back for accessories and housewares. Been sewing for almost 50 years. Please PM me if you have any questions. If your Walmart has fabric, look there for cheap fabric to start with. I have always told the girls I have taught, don't think you're going to love the first thing you make. Most of the time that gets thrown away or used for a rag.lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Here's one i love making. I sell them and give them for gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyvomCiN9Oo

Here is an easy video tutorial to make a quilted wristlet. They are great little bags that you can customize by making them smaller or bigger, with or without a strap and you will learn how to sew in a zipper. The Crafty Gemini has a bunch of beginner sewing tutorials. Here is the link the her quilted wristlet video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BrtcXAzeBU.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    The cost of patterns has really gone up, along with the coat of fabric it is not really worth "sewing".... Generally, anyway. IMHO.

Absolutely right if buying new. Check out the thrift stores for patterns. I always find them there.

If you're going to start sewing clothing, be sure to get your patterns on SALE (JA's has sales on different lines every couple of months - 5 for $5 or 10 for $10). Also clothing patterns come multiple sizes on one sheet. I always take my pattern down and make a copy of the size I want to use, so that I can reuse it over and over (NO copy right laws broken when it's for your use). Pattern paper is so thin that if you pin it and cut it one time that's about all you will get to use that pattern, so make your copy and keep the original to make your next copy.

dd
    Be sure to take your measurements and buy the correct size pattern. Clothing you buy off the rack isn't the same size as the pattern you will need. I normally have to make 1 or 2 sizes larger than I buy off the rack.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    most patterns are written for beginners (don't use a vogue or burda). Follow the steps IN ORDER the first time. Also, use your measurements not the size you think you are. Patterns have a unique sizing method. People usually want to jump right into the sewing. Take the extra time to prep. It is so much easier to tweak the paper pattern than to work with already cut fabric. We start our students with lounging pant (pull on elastic waist). Usually in cotton or flannel. Get the correct size for hips, then trim in (or out) the waist, thighs or length. This way you learn about patterns and sewing without fussing with zippers or to worried about fit. After you make a couple easy items you can take on set-in sleeves, zippers or bottonholes. Also, lay a piece of painters tape along the 5/8" seam line to remind you to sew a 5/8" seam. Then just have a blast!!! You'll feel more confident with every item you finish. And many, many free tutorials out there!

Palazzo style pants and tunic tops are easy and quick to run up, not sure about us, but you can get magazines in the UK with free patterns, happy sewing.

I make a lot of tote bags. They can be very simple to make (or very complicated!). I make simple ones. I have given away dozens, everyone seems to love a tote bag. The ones I make are smaller than the kind you use at the grocery store.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Since you're in Wisconsin, check out the PBS stations and see what channel "Nancy's Notions" and the other shows related to sewing time and date. We get the sewing stations on Saturday mornings 9-12pm. They have a lot of tips. Check your sewing center and see if they have regular sewing classes. YouTube is another for the videos. If you Google beginner sewing you will find all kinds of links. Have fun.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Check out "Stitch to Fit" that is a new show but I believe she has a video on YouTube

Blog Entries
    *** Only buy patterns (they are really expensive)
    *** is when JoAnn's or Hancocks put them on sale
    *** 5 fo $5.00.
    *** McCall & Simplicity Patterns run from $5.99 to $20.99 now.
    *** When I started sewing they were 29 cents.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

PJ bottoms; skirt;
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave

Well, I've been making "growler" carriers...similar to a wine carriers, but larger to accommodate beer growlers. They're really easy to make and I sell them (or trade for beer!!!) to the local brewery for their customers. Found the pattern in a Christmas quilting magazine...so keep looking, there's often simple projects to do as a break from quilting.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I just watch for the $.99 sale on patterns at JoAnns, and using a coupon, I can get patterns for $.50!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

There is sew many other things to sew than quilts. When I just feel like sewing, but not really into making a quilt, I go for pillowcases, tote bags or purse or small zipper pouches, baby bibs, burp cloths. You could try potholders, mug rugs, decorate dish towels, table toppers/runners, placemats, wallhangings, fabric boxes, purse size tissue holders, tissue box covers. I don't buy patterns, too many free tutes on youtube, here, and MSQC, just to name a few!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast