Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nook vs. Kindle

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I have a Kindle. I got it because I'd already started a kindle acct. for my laptop. I got the smaller one (it'll fit in my purse). The books I had on my computer automatically transferred to my kindle. After I got mine, I saw there were cases that had a built in book light. My little case doesn't. At night while dh is watching tv, I use a clip-on book light. Mine will hold a charge for about 3 days, and I read a lot. I've never used or looked at a nook, but my friend loves hers.
    Wow three days worth of charging. That doesn't sound right. Mine lasts for about a month. I wonder if its a mal function in yours.
    I didn't know about turning off the wireless...I thought I might need it on to be able to use it. Duh! I'll have to try turning it off :-D :-D

Dix
    Blog Entries
    It is amazing what I can find on the board. I have been thinking about these 2 also. From what I am reading, I think I will go for the Kindle. But, may wait till after Christmas till the new one comes out. Thanks to all who answered.

I have the Kindle app on my IPhone and love it. I have only had it about a month and already ready about 9 books and I haven't read a regular book in almost two years. If you are on Face Book, join this page, https://www.facebook.com/?closeTheater=1#]https://www.facebook.com/?closeTheater=1#[/url]!/PixelofInk, they have free books about every day and cheap ones. If you haven't read "Ain't No Sunshine", by Leslie DuBois, it is a very good book. But it is for the Kindle only.

Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Okay, I will jump in on this one. I got my Kindle for Christmas, and have yet to pay for a book or game. They say the charge lasts 55 hours, so depends on how many hours a day you read. And the price has gone down to $114.00. My hubby thinks they are going to come out with another new version bhy this Christmas. I don't read magazines on mine so I don't care about color. I take it with me everywhere I go.
    Magazines is the one thing that has me thinking about getting a different e-reader. I get three e-zines (I just made that up), on my computer, and they are all VERY visual...One quilting, one Scuba, and one Hawaii...I want to be able to view those in color. But, as I said earlier, I like being able to read the Kindle outdoors, so I'll have to do some investigating before I get anything different.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I'm so glad you asked this question! I've been wanting a Kindle, and had recently considered the Nook because of the color. It was the ability to see it outside that made me settle on the Kindle instead. Now I wish I could see my cell phone screen when I'm outside -- that drives me crazy! :lol:

Have never had a nook, but did research them. Chose a Kindle and love, love, love it. When I changed handbags and could not get my Kindle in my small purse, I syn'd it to my smart phone and am now in a whole new world. My phone has a backlight (naturally) and I am able to read in the dark if in that situation. I also have a book light on my Kindle...just doesn't work as well as the phone. Thought the screen would be too small , but after a couple of days, I don't even noticed it.

Did I say I love, love, love my Kindle.

diane

Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I have a Kindle. I got it because I'd already started a kindle acct. for my laptop. I got the smaller one (it'll fit in my purse). The books I had on my computer automatically transferred to my kindle. After I got mine, I saw there were cases that had a built in book light. My little case doesn't. At night while dh is watching tv, I use a clip-on book light. Mine will hold a charge for about 3 days, and I read a lot. I've never used or looked at a nook, but my friend loves hers.
    Only 3 days??? I read a lot and I charge about every 3 weeks. Maybe it's something about the new ones?
    I have the Kindle and love it! My battery keeps a charge for over 4 weeks. I just leave the wifi turned off when not needed and the book off when not reading. The last charge was June 15 and it still has over half left. I have the smaller one too, fits in my purse and goes everywhere I go. Would not leave it home, ever! Never used the Nook so don't know anything about that one.

Blog Entries
    LOVE; LOVE;LOVE my Nook; both the color one and the black and white one. I now use my color one the most. One of the best features of the Nook is that B & N doesnt care where you buy your books from; they accept alot of file formats.

You can put music, pdf's, books on cd, all MS office files on it and more. I love the color when reading the magazines, and kids books. Lots of free books and you can go into the BN and read any book for an hour a day; free of charge.

My grandson loves the Read to me feature when I'm too busy to read to him but he wants a story. I got the extended warranty and it comes w/a fix or replace feature that the do honor.

If you have any problems go straight into the store and get great help (thier phone customer service isn't the best; anyhow for me) If it needs to be replaced they'll do it right there in the store; no waiting for the mail.

Lots of free and low cost apps that makes it now like an organizer because you don't just sync it w/your pc you can actually add items right to your Color Nook. Some great games as well.

You can get your email on it. It was the easiest time I've ever had to set up for email; just put in your email address and password.

You can read in bed at night w/lights off and you can adjust the screen settings to read outside.

Barnes and Noble is a big company so they'll be around along time; they are local so I can just go there if needed.

It doesn't have 3G; my black and white did but to use it you have to pay extra for the service just like on a pc. All three of the Nooks on the market has wireless and that's all you need. Even most McDonalds have free wireless hookups.

Like I said; love my Nook. I researched before I got it and I couldn't be happier with it. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Apple Quilts
    I'm so glad you asked this question! I've been wanting a Kindle, and had recently considered the Nook because of the color. It was the ability to see it outside that made me settle on the Kindle instead. Now I wish I could see my cell phone screen when I'm outside -- that drives me crazy! :lol:
    You can adjust your settings and read the color nook outside just like you can read in bed at night w/the lights off.

Mine is the Nook Color. Wireless 3G. Wouldn't part with it for a day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    I love, love, love my Kindle! Just finished getting 25 free books on it.

I have been using this Kindle for just over 2 years now and would buy another IMMEDIATELY if it died. *antijinx* That is how much I love it.

And no more large quantities of DUSTY books making me sneeze :-)
    Same here. My son got me a kindle for Mother's Day and I really love it. I like to read the old classic books so of course they are all free to download. It fits right in my purse and I take it everywhere. If you turn off the wifi when you don't need it, the battery will last a very long time

[You can adjust your settings and read the color nook outside just like you can read in bed at night w/the lights off.[/quote]

I may have to try this out. Could be that I end up with two, one for the magazines and stuff, and one for just reading, but I could get used to that. THANKS for the comment...I didn't know you could adjust them so might have to take a 2nd look!

Blog Entries
    Can you actually read the nook in the dark, I love to read at night and use my IPad for that because it lights up, but I would like to get something smaller. I don't want to use a book light so I need something with a backlite

I have the kindle. My DH did research before he bought his. I love the fact that you always have tons of books to read at your fingertips. Wish I had one years ago when we'd go camping and I'd take a grocery bag of books to read. Anyway I just love it! I think the only negative is the battery replacement issue, but hey, the positive outweighs it. We each have one with that cover that has the built-in light, love that too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    Can you actually read the nook in the dark, I love to read at night and use my IPad for that because it lights up, but I would like to get something smaller. I don't want to use a book light so I need something with a backlite
    I do it all of the time; that is one of it's many fine selling features. I wouldn't trade my Nook color for anything.

I have a kindle and love it. I take it everywhere.

I had the original Kindle and when the new one came out I got that and gave the other to my daughter. I LOVE KINDLE! Since I am a big reader, I get many books free and discounted. I also order pre-order books and when I go shopping I bring my Kindle and type in the books that interest me.
    When I finish each book I put it inot my archive. The books you buy are always yours so if you want to read a book again, all you have to do is take it out of archive.
    Another important thing to me is that if you have a problem with the Kindle, customer service is wonderful and help you immediately. You get a one year warranty with the Kindle, so if you have any problem with it, the company sends you a replacement one the next day with a return slip to ship the damaged/broken one back. My Kindle 2 developed a crack so I called the company late one night and the next morning, the replacement Kindle was at my doorstep.
    I purchased a black cover with a light from Target and love it. The light comes on only when your turn on the Kindle. When Kindle goes into sleep mode, the light goes off. You do not need batteries.
    One more thing, one day when the Kindle battery dies, call the customer service, they will send you the shipping slip. Send your Kindle back and they will put in a new battery. I don't know if there is a charge, but the company is wonderful.
    I hope I covered everything.
    I am a Kindle addict.

Blog Entries
    I have a black and white version of the Nook, has wireless and 3G connections thru ATT, don't have to pay extra to use the connection to download books.
    Love it, fits in my purse, is lightweight and battery lasts 3 - 4 weeks before needing a charge.
    I can go to a Barnes n Noble book store and read any book free if I want.
    Lots of free books from Barnes n Noble to download too.

Blog Entries
    LOVE love love my kindle!!

I just read a comparison on www.kimkomando.com. Great website full of infor on all high tech stuff for dummies, like me.
    Go have a look!

My husband and I bought each other Nook Color for Christmas and I love it. For one thing, it is back-lit and has a night reading mode where the text is white and the background is gray - puts out very little light to disturb your partner. Also, you can access the internet with it at any wi-fi spot so you can get your email, shop online, search the web, whatever you wish. The color one is a little heavier than the Kindle, but I looked at both and decided for me it was the nook - love it!

Nook all the way. You can go to a B&N store for advice, etc. Kindle is all on-line. Not sold on all the internet stuff yet.

Blog Entries
    I love my kindle

I got my Nook Color for Christmas and love it. I download e-books from the 4 libraries I have cards for and every Friday check to see what the free book is for the week. I too had a hard time deciding which one to go with but I am not sorry at all that I chose the Nook and will get another when I need to. I really feel that the Nook gives a little more then the Kindle. With the library compatiblity you have access to thousands of extra free books.

I imagine you will enjoy whichever you decide upon. My Nook was a Christmas gift. It is the black/white version both 3G& WiFi. I like mine very much. I would suggest you try to find a friend who has a Kindle and handle/look at it...then go to Barnes & Noble...or even Best Buy...and look at the Nook and other e-readers that are available...then make you decision. I love being able to slip my Nook into my handbag and read while I am waiting at places.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast