Nook vs. Kindle

Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 AM

I love my Kindle. I have games and books. The lack of color is not a problem. Most of the books I read are in black and white.
Norma
Old 07-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I imagine you will enjoy whichever you decide upon. My Nook was a Christmas gift. It is the black/white version both 3G& WiFi. I like mine very much. I would suggest you try to find a friend who has a Kindle and handle/look at it...then go to Barnes & Noble...or even Best Buy...and look at the Nook and other e-readers that are available...then make you decision. I love being able to slip my Nook into my handbag and read while I am waiting at places.
Agreed. I believe Target stores have Kindles on display (mine does, anyway) if you don't know anyone who owns one. That was when I decided I didn't care for all those buttons--I work in a grubby, dusty environment (live theatre) and I didn't want the buttons getting grime under them at work. The Nook has far fewer buttons (and only the power button is open-sided), so it's easier to clean.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I imagine you will enjoy whichever you decide upon. My Nook was a Christmas gift. It is the black/white version both 3G& WiFi. I like mine very much. I would suggest you try to find a friend who has a Kindle and handle/look at it...then go to Barnes & Noble...or even Best Buy...and look at the Nook and other e-readers that are available...then make you decision. I love being able to slip my Nook into my handbag and read while I am waiting at places.
Even though you can buy the ereaders at Best Buy and other places along w/the extended warranty; beware. When you buy the Nook (and maybe others) somewhere else you cannot take it to Barnes and Noble for them to replace it if you have problems; you will have to send it out. This came directly from the B & N manager himself. Where you buy it would have to refund it or you'd have to go thru the company to get it replaced. I'd much rather deal w/in store than on the phone customer service. I love B & N; they've helped me several times when I couldn't get the 1800 # to help.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM

I have a Nook and really like it. We are able to check out books from libraries.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM

I think either one would be okay. I have a Nook and love the fact that I don't have to buy books. Lots are free and I can download sooooo many books from the library! That is the main reason I love the Nook!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM

I bought my Kindle at Best Buy, along with the accessories. I purchased the extended warrenty as well. I figure I will eventually get an i-Pad, so I was worried that if I got the Nook color, I would have a harder time convincing my dh that I should invest in the i-Pad. :)
Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
Can you actually read the nook in the dark, I love to read at night and use my IPad for that because it lights up, but I would like to get something smaller. I don't want to use a book light so I need something with a backlite
you most certainly can read at night w/lights off or day at the beach; just adjust settings for bright light. I also got the screen saver to keep it clean; love the touch screen andit helps w/glare
Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Originally Posted by bj
I have a Kindle. I got it because I'd already started a kindle acct. for my laptop. I got the smaller one (it'll fit in my purse). The books I had on my computer automatically transferred to my kindle. After I got mine, I saw there were cases that had a built in book light. My little case doesn't. At night while dh is watching tv, I use a clip-on book light. Mine will hold a charge for about 3 days, and I read a lot. I've never used or looked at a nook, but my friend loves hers.
Only 3 days??? I read a lot and I charge about every 3 weeks. Maybe it's something about the new ones?
I get about 750 hours per charge on my eReader from Sony, but no colors.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM
lbc

Originally Posted by ssgramma
I love, love, love my Kindle! Just finished getting 25 free books on it.

I have been using this Kindle for just over 2 years now and would buy another IMMEDIATELY if it died. *antijinx* That is how much I love it.

And no more large quantities of DUSTY books making me sneeze :-)
My daughter just bought me a kindle and I can't compare to others but love my kindle. Any suggestions as to good books you have read?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM

The Help, Water for Elephants, Woman's Murder Club 10th Anniversary. My last 3. All were good