Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not a pretty picture

Not a pretty picture

How many of you have every used self-tanners? Even one person successful? Over the years I've tried just about everything made only to be an orange, streaky mess. Fast forward 5+ years. Heard about a new L'Oreal Bronzer that you can see the immediate tint so that you know where you're going and where you've been. Last night I showered, shaved and exfoliated. I used it on my arms and my legs. Smelled pretty good and looked even. I was pleased to finally have a little color on this lily white skin. Got up this a.m. and OMG!! It morphed into carrot orange and streaks all over. Plus, I smelled like a stinky dog.

Too hot to even think about trying to remove any of this during the day. Went downtown early p.m. for errands and had to wear a long sleeved shirt, jeans and socks.....it was only 90. Needed to conceal my creeping orange crude. So I'm on my way upstairs to try to soak, then see how much I can rub off.

Think I've finally learned my lesson. There is something in my body chemistry that turns all of these products into pumpkin orange. Faux tan faux pas for sure. Oh I'll have color tonight, bright red as I'll be missing the first layer of my skin. Supposed to go to a family thing by a lake on Sunday. I'm hoping I'm back to normal or it rains. Geeze......

Try spray tanning at a professional salon, perhaps that will give you a better look. Either that or do what I do and just remain white. My old legs look like birch trees stumps.

P.S. Please post a picture. I could use a good laugh.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Blog Entries
    LOL Sounds like something I would do. Haha, good luck!!!
    fatquarters

Blog Entries
    Wow too funny. Never tried anything like that. I'm white as a ghost. I'll stay that way.. I burn really easy.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Not on your life......my luck somehow it would go viral! You'll just have to continue to use your own imagination. Loved your comment about birch tree stumps. ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
    Try spray tanning at a professional salon, perhaps that will give you a better look. Either that or do what I do and just remain white. My old legs look like birch trees stumps.

P.S. Please post a picture. I could use a good laugh.

Blog Entries
    I've never tried a self-tanner. The American Indian in my blood blessed me with a great tan no sun needed. Good luck getting the tanner off, you might try vinegar? It's edible and cleans just about everything so you might try a bit on your leg or something to see if it works. Just an idea. Good luck
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

Blog Entries
    I recently saw an advertisement in a magazine (which I have now thrown out, sorry!) for a product which removes self tan. I hope you can find some.

I am at peace with being so white I am almost blue. On the rare occasions I need to be brown I spend on the spray booth things, which work really well.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Advertising is so hilarious! As I read this thread and looked at the top of the page where there is an ad for a sunless tanner. So ads do go on automatically, using words from what we post here! Wow! So sorry to read your story - hope it all works out for you. I've tried a few of these and didn't get very good results either, but not this bad.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    Advertising is so hilarious! As I read this thread and looked at the top of the page where there is an ad for a sunless tanner. So ads do go on automatically, using words from what we post here! Wow! So sorry to read your story - hope it all works out for you. I've tried a few of these and didn't get very good results either, but not this bad.
    Well, darn it! I didn't get an advertisement for sunless tanning. I still have that dumb Mayhem Guy...going to write that company!!

I don't sunless tan well either although I do tan in the sun. I've tried all the rub-ons, even the ones that go dark as you put it on...still get streaks. I think air brush tanning is the only way and then only if you get someone who knows what they are doing. I can't stand the smell of that stinky stuff!! LOL

Power Poster
    I long ago learned to embrace the mighty white look. In the sun I burn and feel sick. The tanning products give me a rash so I proudly display my pasty white skin in the summer as I camp out in the shade.

I also have white birch legs! I absolutely do no tan even when I try and try. Finally gave up trying and just embrace my pale LOL! I do need long sleeves and mostly long pants in the summer though.

Pam

Blog Entries
    There is actually one product, Fake Bake, that really works and does not turn orange. It gives a beautiful light tan and if you want darker, just apply more every day until the color you want is achieved. Ask you hairdresser for it as it is a professional product.

Blog Entries
    A friend always turned orange too. She tried removing it with lemon juice and baking soda and had good results. I don't think she used them together, but would add baking soda to a bath, and she also used a wet cloth soaked in the lemon juice and buffed all over. Me, I have never tanned and would not use a self tanner because of seeing her orange one too many times. I do sit out for 15-20 min. in the sun when I can just to get vitamin D. Teased all my life for my pale skin, and am now at the age I don't really care anymore.

Blog Entries
    I have never seen any artificial tan that looks natural.
    Got fabric?

I am proud of my pasty white chicken legs, knobby knees and all!! well, it is easier that way anyway. I notice when I am in a swimming pool with light sides, my skin is the same color as the pool walls. I blend right in.

Who says that tan is the only "lovely" anyway? Lily white can look very nice as well-just take a look at Deborah Ann Woll.

I've come to the conclusion that "If God wanted me that color, he would have made me that color" So I don't even try. Never tried the tan in a bottle, and I burn quite easily in the sun.

I have had better luck using leg make up. Try Airbrush Legs by Sally Hansen. It does not give a tanned look, just makes your legs look better. Takes a while to apply and get it even. Stays on well all day and does not rub off easily. But does it leave a ring around the tub when you wash it off!

Yes, I'm just going to have to embrace my lily-white legs. Happy to report that I've managed to get the worst of the orange streaks off. Thank heavens I only put it on my legs and arms. Thought maybe the tan would camouflage the worse of the spider veins on my legs. I have to avoid the sun completely, hence no color on my legs in decades because I've had four skin cancers removed (three on my face, one on my shoulder). I've learned my lessons. Birch tree leg ladies unit!

I have Lupus and the sun is my enemy and I was thinking about trying one of the tanning products, but after all these remarks, I think I will just be white.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I am proud of my pasty white chicken legs, knobby knees and all!! well, it is easier that way anyway. I notice when I am in a swimming pool with light sides, my skin is the same color as the pool walls. I blend right in.
    Me too Barb! And anything that lends to swimming pool camouflage is welcome!
    LOL! I have an ad for self tanning at the top of this thread too! Too, too funny!

So sorry for laughing out loud for your delilma! You would think living in the SW I"d have a a great tan but dp not enough of the special stuff in my skin to tan. After having skin cancer on face, just gave up.

Have you looked, really looked at movie stars? They aren't tan UNLESS they are Native American or African American! So in my book, pale is good and healthier for me. Check out the red carpet...rarely is there a tan goddess! Just a diff slant on this.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

I think I have legs that repell sunlight! Even when I was a lifeguard ... everything would tan .. but my legs... stayed white. I have concidered these self tanning products .. but after hearing your experience... I think I will just stay with the pastey look....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I long ago learned to embrace the mighty white look. In the sun I burn and feel sick. The tanning products give me a rash so I proudly display my pasty white skin in the summer as I camp out in the shade.
    I was wondering who was on the other side of the shade tree.Growing up our front yard was Lake Erie and we were in the water all day my 4 brothers all tanned but not me -they always called me Lily White Walking Stick and I still don't tan and I don't mind being a LWWS

I've never tried any of it, used to tan out in the sun when I was younger, now I just don't care.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast