Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not Sure What To Charge

Not Sure What To Charge

I'm making three flower girl dresses for a wedding and it's been so long since I did this, that I'm not sure what to charge for them. Any advice?
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Blog Entries
    oh golly, costs first and then at least $50.00 or perhaps $75.oo per dress if very fancy. good luck on that though.

She's already purchased all the dress materials and notions. They're very simple dresses, though. More like sundresses since it's a beach wedding.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

First of all, I no longer make clothes. I have no idea, think maybe ii would have been better to discuss your charge before. Good luck.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Keep track of the time it takes to make them then figure out a per hour cost for making them. Time is money in my book.

She told me beforehand that she would be fine with whatever I charged. I just want to make sure that I'm being fair in my charges and not short changing myself or over charging her. Each dress has a lined bodice and a satin hi-lo skirt with a sheer overlay.

I agree with keeping track of your time. Sometimes it feels like a job takes forever but it doesn't, but more often we spend more time on it than we realize. When you have a final tally, hopefully you can figure a price that makes it feel worthwhile for you both.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Think about how much she would pay for a store bought of the same calibre and go up from there.

I would charge at least $25 a dress. If they are simple and she has paid for the material, I think that is a fair price.

You'll never get an appropriate amount for your time, so if this is family or friends and you have been lassoed into it, I would do it as a wedding gift and make it clear it is their wedding gift. If I do things like that that I DO NOT want to make a business out of, I tell the recipient not to tell anyone where the item came from, as I DO NOT want referrals! For me, I would rather do something like this a gift rather than be insulted with an extremely low amount ($25/dress). I made an middle school dance dress from a metallic fabric for the daughter of a friend of mine. I spend a lot of time on it, and she said she would pay me. She is fairly well off, so I assumed (wrongly, as it turned out) she would know the value of an hand crafted dress. But when it was all finished, she paid me $35! After that, I have practiced saying "Oh, I wish I could - I just don't have the time!" But, at the end of the day, what you charge is up to you. But if you truly have a choice, please don't undervalue your time!!

I would take 3 times the cost of all of the materials or set your self an hourly wage. I suggest $20.00 an hour since it is your machine and the wear and tear on it as well as think of all the other equipment you use. So then keep track or your hours. A simple dress still will take at least an hour and a half to sew that is $30.00 dollars per dress. For me the average dress takes about 3 hours to make that is cutting, sewing and fitting. Good luck.

Love the idea of your time being a gift. Saves you from having to go get a gift for the wedding.

yel
    Blog Entries
    i would use it for my gift.....then you don't have to be insulted by her lowballing and she don't think you are too high or to low prices ......

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    She told me beforehand that she would be fine with whatever I charged. I just want to make sure that I'm being fair in my charges and not short changing myself or over charging her. Each dress has a lined bodice and a satin hi-lo skirt with a sheer overlay.
    I made a flower girl dress for my grandniece for my son's wedding--it had a sheer overlay on a satin dress with a lined bodice. I used a trim on the hem of the overlay to make it easier. I seldom make clothes any more and with zipper, fraying satin and the sheer overlay, despite the dress being simple--no collar or sleeves--it still took forever and was a major pain. I would figure at least $40/ dress OR if for family member/friend--make it a gift.

Red face Making dresses

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    I'm making three flower girl dresses for a wedding and it's been so long since I did this, that I'm not sure what to charge for them. Any advice?
    I was a dressmaker before I became a quilter. I learned that when making multiple garments alike, by the same pattern, that I got faster as I went along. I also learned that it was better to keep track of my time and charge by the hour. I am not sure what the minimum wage is now, but I would not work for any less. You can get the average of your time as you make 3 dresses alike. I always had to learn on the first one. Hope this helps.