Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Novel to read

Novel to read

“The Forgotten Seamstress” by Liz Trenow. Our library has recommended it for winter reading and the description says a quilt could hold the answer to a mystery. I’ve not read it yet myself but it sounds interesting.

Sounds interesting. I'll try to find it at our library.

About 100 years ago, in elementary school, there was a short story in a reader about a granny that had a quilt that was old and beat-up and she clung to it constantly. She was senile and couldn't remember why it was so important and, of course, her family didn't know either. It was made from her scraps of the children's clothing, her dearly departed DH, etc. It invoked all kinds of memories, but she knew it was very important to keep. When she died the 'kids' destroyed it, I think, but under one block was a deed ... or something ... that was necessary for the 'kids' to have.

I have thought about that little story all my life. Any body remember it?

Both stories sound intriguing.

Blog Entries
    Will check with my library to see if they have the Trenow book. The waitiing list here can be long for certain books.
    No idea on the story you mentioned, SillySusan, but it sounds like a good mystery. I hope someone here knows the answer.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the recommendation. Just downloaded from the library.
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

I have vision issues and can't really read for pleasure any more but I listen to audio books. I put a hold on the audio version, it will come to me in a month or two. Looking forward to it.

This last year I started listening to the Elm Creek Quilters books by Jennifer Chiaverini, I think five so far and have enjoyed them. They had been recommended to me for years but I just didn't get to them, but your recommendation I'll get shortly!

Yep! My library has it... 3 copies in the county system. It should be in my branch in a few days. Thanks for the heads up!

Power Poster
    ​At my library but the review said a heart breaker.

Just downloaded the book from my library.

Have read it and keeps you guessing until the end. Great read.

I requested the book and it is available. Should have it in a day or two.

Thanks! Was just getting ready for a new read!

Blog Entries
    I will check it out and get it when the weather permits. So cold here even the LQS is closed tomorrow. Temp is supposed to be -17 with a windchill of -55. What is this native Texan doing in Illinois?
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post

About 100 years ago, in elementary school, there was a short story in a reader about a granny that had a quilt that was old and beat-up and she clung to it constantly. She was senile and couldn't remember why it was so important and, of course, her family didn't know either. It was made from her scraps of the children's clothing, her dearly departed DH, etc. It invoked all kinds of memories, but she knew it was very important to keep. When she died the 'kids' destroyed it, I think, but under one block was a deed ... or something ... that was necessary for the 'kids' to have.

That story sounds familiar but I don't know the name. Anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post

I hope someone finds the book or remembers the name because I would like to read it.

Rats, just checked my library online audio books and the book is not available. Will have to check on a hard copy. Thanks for another reading possibility.

Blog Entries
    Will get my copy from the library tomorrow. There is also a number of books similar to that. They are called Patchwork Mysteries. They are stand alone books. Different authors

Quote Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
    I hope someone finds the book or remembers the name because I would like to read it.
    It was in an elementary school reader... Maybe 3rd or 4th grade... and like I said... about 100 years ago. I do hope some one else remembers it.

I just finished reading the digital version of the book...it was a little difficult to get into the rhythm of reading it at first. Once I got past that, it was easy to get engrossed and I could not stop reading until I finished the story!

Blog Entries
    My library has one copy so I put a hold on it, I am next on the list. It is so cold here in Michigan it is a good week to stay in and quilt and read. The governor has declared a state of emergency and has closed most government offices and they even cancelled mail delivery until Friday. So far I like this new governor, she seems concerned about her citizens.

The story I remember about the deed in a quilt was a story of a young girl being abused by the family with whom she was living. Apparently not biological parents. She had a quilt that had something under the center block that made noise like crinkling paper. In the end they found out that in that block was the deed in which the young girl was the owner of some property. Happy ending.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    I will check it out and get it when the weather permits. So cold here even the LQS is closed tomorrow. Temp is supposed to be -17 with a windchill of -55. What is this native Texan doing in Illinois?
    I am in your shoes, too. I'm in Iowa, though. Our wind chill wasn't as cold as yours, but around -35. The high is supposed to get to 1.

I've read the Elm Creek books and loved them. Was sorry they had to end. Ann Hazelwood has written some quilting novels, too. She is very good author, and used to be a store owner also, I think.
    Last edited by nlgh; 01-30-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: to add comment about novels.

I have it downloaded to my kindle so need to read it next.

It’s a great book.
    At liztrenow.com , the auther’s blog there are pictures of the the quilt from the story. Type in Maria’s quilt in the search bar.
    Last edited by JanieW; 01-30-2019 at 02:53 PM.

If my Library is open tomorrow, I'll pick up the book. It is very cold in southeast Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast