Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
NOW What Friends?  A Job Deliema!!! >

NOW What Friends? A Job Deliema!!!

NOW What Friends? A Job Deliema!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 PM

I worked for JA in Norfolk , VA about 20 yrs ago in a high fashion mall (they called it), it was fun, but hard work, sometimes I would close at 10 pm go home at 11:00 be back at 9:00 am and have to move all of the fabric from one wall to the other, the manager felt that surprise was the thing to sell more fabric. I got so tired of carrying bolts of fabric....but I did bring home the fabric, my DH would say, No, you are suppose to bring home money, not material. It was a fun place to work, most people that go into a fabric shop like to be there . Have fun, only problem, I never had time to sew, as I was also taking classes parttime..
Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 AM

Congrats on your jobs. Hope you can work out a schedule for both!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Oh, I know, I wont have as much time to sew....I think working two jobs right now would be good because I was laid off a whole month and had to use up some savings....I would like to get it back....just in case this happens again....hoping for it not too, but with so many out of work you just dont know!
The JoAnns could be my fun money, lol, CB could pay the bills.....
I have to call JoAnns tomarrow to set up ANOTHER interview!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 AM

I can't believe how low the wages are in the U.S. Minimum wage in Ontario Canada is $10.25 an hour and there are no exceptions including farm labour picking apples etc. No wonder so many American working families are struggling if this restaurant is an example of how people are paid. I hope you are able to find a job that is satisfying yet pays you a decent living wage.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Wow, Shelbie...minimum wage just got raised here to $7.25 an hour, but they dont have to pay that to kids! My kids worked at Burger King in H.S, hard work, and they werent even given minimum wage.
The resturaunt has to make up the money if my tips dont let me make 7.25, but I think I will, waitressing usually pays well.
I was talking to my Mom yesterday, and I said, being off work with no money didnt hurt so much, because I am used to being frugal, and not making much, lol!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Minimum wage here in Oregon is 8.40 an hour.

Good luck with the interview.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by nativetexan
ha, ha.hate to say it but the job at CB is better for you all the way around. you'd end up spending all your earnings at joann's.
been there, done that ;-)
Me too. You think you are going to be strong but then something gorgeous comes in and you are sunk :)

Congrats on the jobs!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Good Luck on the interview and hopefully they will both work with you so you can do them both , at least until you can figure out which one will work out better for you :wink:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM

It would be nice if you could do both. If not, I think you would be better off at Cracker Barrel. People always go out to eat and I imagine it would be more 'consistent' work. I am afraid at Joann's, you might not get the hours you would need. However, if you are just doing it for 'fun' money, then Joann's would be a fun place to work.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Good luck! I think you'd probably be better off paying billes, etc with the CB job...but the Joanns job would sure be fun!!! :)