Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • NOW What Friends?  A Job Deliema!!! >
  • NOW What Friends? A Job Deliema!!!

• NOW What Friends? A Job Deliema!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Sounds like it's going to work out for you you to do both! Great news!
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 AM

A friend of mine works at CB and they give a wonderful discount for dining there themselves.......

worth it going there to eat and not cook at home !!!!!
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    But if you got on part time at Joann's that should be considered a "freebie" job. That way you could spend all the money from it right there. Okay, so it's just a theory... but it's a good one. But just think, you'd have first chance when something was being clearanced.
    CB could be a job job where the money went for things that jobs pay for---gas, groceries, rent, utilities, etc.
    I think that anybody that works a second job, it should be tax free!! Hows that for more spending money for fabric?
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:26 AM

I work at Jo-Ann's in Maple Grove, MN. It is minimum wage, unless the store manager starts you higher due to previous retail or other experience. Just a warning, though, raises are not given easily, so you will most likely be at that wage for a while.
    I love the people I work with, the management team is great, and so are my co-workers (I work at the cutting counter) which makes the job more worthwhile. It is hard work, a lot of lifting, turning, standing, etc. A lot of people are not getting as many hours as they want, because corporate only allows so many hours per day/week depending on what the projected sales are for that week. Hours obviously pick up closer to the holidays.
    If you can do both jobs, that sounds like it may be the best option. Otherwise, go with your gut!
    Anyways, I'm babbling this morning! If you have any questions about working at Jo-Ann's, let me know, I'll help as much as I can!
    Oh! On a side note, about every other month, Jo-Ann's has a "double discount" day for employees, which works out to an extra 30% off sale prices..... this is when I spend the most money!! :lol: :lol: :oops:
    Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM

I was a waitress in a truck stop in Iowa in my younger days and I think my wage was like a buck fifty and that was because I was the cashier, which paid more, but I ended up being a waitress because they were always short handed. I had bought a fancy sewing machine (wish I still had it) and ALL my tips went to pay my monthly payment which was a whopping $36.00 a month for a year! I worked there for 3 years, I loved that job.
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Hope that both places can work it so out that you can work both jobs. I am sure that you will do what is right for you. DH thinks that I should try for a parttime job at Joanne's but I know that I would not bring home a paycheck. Maybe when I retire from my current job in a couple of years.
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    A waitress wage is 2.33 an hour plus tips, lol!!!!!!! When I started 20 years ago, it was 2.13 an hour plus tips. But if youre a good waitress you can really make out well....or if its a slow restauraunt, not so good!
    yes, but good thing is, they are required to make sure you get at least minimum wage :D
    A lot places the waitresses make more than anyone else on staff :D
    Not in the St. Louis area. Employer deducts tips from the whopping $2.33 an hour, all restraurants around here do that. Our Oldest Granddaughter has worked at them for the last 6 yr.s. Now with the economy down, people want to eat out but, not tip, even hard to make a little money at those jobs.
    Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
    Power Poster

Heather, Thanks! I might pm you! I am kind of sad, JoAnnes was supposed to call today togive me a second interview, and they didnt!!!!!!!! I am SO dissapointed.........
    Jingleberry, I think the employer takes taxes from the whopping 2.33 an hour. Uncle Sam get most of it, LOL, a few years back I owed my boss money, because I made too much in tips, so I had moe to pay in tax. With the recession now, no worries about that!
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM

think hard about the joanns a friend worked there and i dont know if it was just the store or if it is the comp but some of their rules are kinda wonky from what she said not sure if the discount would be worth it.
    Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM

Good luck no matter which one you pick!