Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: An observaton - - -

Power Poster

An observaton - - -

Has anyone else noticed that the "I got great service at . . . " threads seem to fizzle out rather quickly

and the

"I was not happy with . . . . at . . . " threads seem to get a lot of response.

Is is that we really do get okay to great service almost all the time - so that when things don't go well, we notice it more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but the money I pay should include good service, so I don't toot the horn for someone or place that gives value for value. They were supposed to! When I do pay and don't get the service or product I paid for, the world will hear. That said, I will accept excuses, but only so far.

Probably we notice it more. But, more importantly, I think I like to make others aware of the "bad service" so they won't shop there. We all work hard for our money and I personally resent "bad service"....it makes me feel like they are so cocky about their products/store that they don't need to be "nice". I don't feel it's appropriate for me to "beg" them to help me and take the $.....as our funds become more and more limited and prices get higher, people are going to have to make me want to spend my money at their shop! My favorite shop - Quilts Ole (Corrales, New Mexico) is the "queen" of customer service...they are friendly, happy to help, willing to please and very knowledgeable about colorways, themes, etc. I will spend my money there happily!

When I receive good service, no matter where I am, I try to thank and compliment the provider. I worked customer service for years and I always appreciated the thank yous. Many people feel they don't have to acknowledge good service (it is expected). Yes it is, but a thank you or polite response can really make the customer service rep's day be more positive.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    When I receive good service, no matter where I am, I try to thank and compliment the provider. I worked customer service for years and I always appreciated the thank yous. Many people feel they don't have to acknowledge good service (it is expected). Yes it is, but a thank you or polite response can really make the customer service rep's day be more positive.
    I always say please and thank you, no matter where or to whom!

In my opinion, many more people complain rather than compliment. More emotion is stirred up when you are mad than when you had a pleasant experience with a store.

I do try to stay positive so I will tell you that Hancock's of Paducah has provided excellent service to me. They are my favorite store, (I shop online).
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.”

Usually when we get bad service or rude store staff we ask to speak with the manager. That usually does the trick an service is better when we go back.
    We had such poor service at Applebee's about 12 years ago we never went back.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    It takes about the same time to find a manager to express satisfaction when someone has done something special - as it does to find a manager to complain about something.

Plus it's a day brightener for all concerned.

I don't say much about either one. If I have a problem with a service/ store employee I just never shop there again.
    I usually get good service, the way I think it should be.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Years ago I bought a new cell phone at Walmart from a young lady in the electronics dept. I mentioned how much I didn't look forward to putting all the new contact data in the new phone. She said "I'll do it" and she did. It took her about 10 minutes and I was on my way a happy customer. I called the store after I got home and asked for the manager. I complimented the young lady and the way she went out of her way to give good service. The manager laughed and asked if I had the wrong store--all they get are complaints.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I have made it a habit to compliment good service - if it is the kind of operation that lends itself to it, I write letters to the management complimenting an employee. I do it because it makes me feel good, but the employees appreciate it and look forward to seeing me. I have complained about bad service to the management on occasion, but, usually the employee is gone before anything can be done. At least in my case. I also don't patronize stores or chains whose philosophies are alien to me. I guess that is the same as a complaint, but, no one knows but me.
    Alyce

I can handle a rude cashier, inept employee, or silly policy, but to take my money and I not get what I paid for, it's time for the place to close shop.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

dd
    I have written letters to mgrs or supervisors about employees. Sometimes I tell them, this person deserves a raise. Don't know if it does any good but at least I voiced my opinion. Managers like to hear good things about their employees too. Do you always leave a tip, even if the service is lousy? I don't. A tip is a gratuity for good service and shouldn't be considered part of the bill. I do like it when restaurants put the different amounts at the bottom of the check so you don't have to figure what 15% or 20% is.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I always thank the person helping me and it surprises a lot of them. I know they take a lot from people through out the day. If a person is rude or doesn't want to help me I don't shop there anymore, there are plenty more places to shop.

Just like the news...it's the bummer stories that are "juicy".

Where I work, complimentary letters are really celebrated - the CEO selects one each month to read out loud in front of the entire company (about 400 people). It has made me a lot more likely to send a letter (or at least an email) when a staff person somewhere goes above and beyond for me.

When I worked in a restaurant we were told that someone that was pleased will tell 1 person vs 20 if they were displeased. Outrage makes for a better story. So, the way to combat that is to give such great service it becomes a story in itself. Not easy but when it happens you've made a customer for life.
    'Tacky' does not necessarily refer to the quality of adhesiveness.

Blog Entries
    I compliment good service every where I go. It's rare that I've run into bad service. And I try to remember how it was as a single working mother when I have. We don't know what their life is like or what problems they may be facing. And I always say to them I hope your day gets better and it usually brings out a 'thank you' from them. I think we tend to think that as ''customers'' it's all about us and we forget to see the person taking care of us as a person. And it's a good idea to remember we all have had and will have bad days. Showing a little compassion to all the people we encounter is some thing every one should do. Who knows it could be a wonderfully contagious thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elnan View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the money I pay should include good service, so I don't toot the horn for someone or place that gives value for value. They were supposed to! When I do pay and don't get the service or product I paid for, the world will hear. That said, I will accept excuses, but only so far.
    I used to feel as you do, value for value. Now a days good customer service is rarer than green zebras, so when I get great service, I tell people about it, so they can be treated well too! Share the wealth! When everyone was making a more decent wage, service was better because fewer people had to work more than 40 hour shifts just to keep a roof. With the exception of a cable company who seems to oppose good service, and will remain nameless, customer service is harder to give when you don't know where your next rent check is coming from. Pretty hard to smile if you are a stressed out wreak. Just my thoughts...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

along the same lines

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I used to feel as you do, value for value. Now a days good customer service is rarer than green zebras, so when I get great service, I tell people about it, so they can be treated well too! Share the wealth! When everyone was making a more decent wage, service was better because fewer people had to work more than 40 hour shifts just to keep a roof. With the exception of a cable company who seems to oppose good service, and will remain nameless, customer service is harder to give when you don't know where your next rent check is coming from. Pretty hard to smile if you are a stressed out wreak. Just my thoughts...
    Manners seem to be a thing of the past, a thank you is easy to say but excuse me seems to be forgotten. I'm nearly 71 yo and I find myself opening doors for the elderly, saying excuse me if I get in someone's way, back into them or get too close to their personal space but never do I hear excuse me from someone else, and opening or holding a door open is unusual and deserves a thank you and a smile of appreciation. Same thing for good customer service.

dd
    We were recently looking at computers. Our son, who used to sell computers, said don't even talk to the guy who is trying too hard to be nice. He is only trying to make a sale. Talk to the other one, he will make sure you get what you want and need. Had to laugh at is logic. Our daughter used to wait tables. One of the other waitresses told her to tell all her customers either she wasn't feeling well or her kid is sick, some sob story. She says you get bigger tips cuz they feel sorry for you. If a waitress tells me she isn't feeling well, I don't want her as a waitress.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

While I completely understand that customer service is a part of the job when someone works as a cashier, waitress, etc, I think people who haven't worked in that industry (or in a very long time!) don't understand how truly E-V-I-L some people can be. People seem to think it's okay to treat people in customer service roles as subhuman verbal punching bags, and yet we expect these people to take the verbal abuse with a smile and snap right back without letting it affect them. Most of the time, the "problem" genuinely isn't the fault of the person you're speaking with - it's the chef, the backroom, the warehouse or simply store policy.

I think compassion, kindness and understanding go a long way. People seem to forget that with every interpersonal interaction you're responsible for 50% of what happens. 50% of any good or bad experience is YOURS, and you need to own that. Most people just blame the customer service rep - it's easier.
    ~Erin