An observaton - - -

Old 06-02-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I have made it a habit to compliment good service - if it is the kind of operation that lends itself to it, I write letters to the management complimenting an employee. I do it because it makes me feel good, but the employees appreciate it and look forward to seeing me. I have complained about bad service to the management on occasion, but, usually the employee is gone before anything can be done. At least in my case. I also don't patronize stores or chains whose philosophies are alien to me. I guess that is the same as a complaint, but, no one knows but me.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I can handle a rude cashier, inept employee, or silly policy, but to take my money and I not get what I paid for, it's time for the place to close shop.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 AM
dd

I have written letters to mgrs or supervisors about employees. Sometimes I tell them, this person deserves a raise. Don't know if it does any good but at least I voiced my opinion. Managers like to hear good things about their employees too. Do you always leave a tip, even if the service is lousy? I don't. A tip is a gratuity for good service and shouldn't be considered part of the bill. I do like it when restaurants put the different amounts at the bottom of the check so you don't have to figure what 15% or 20% is.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:25 AM

I always thank the person helping me and it surprises a lot of them. I know they take a lot from people through out the day. If a person is rude or doesn't want to help me I don't shop there anymore, there are plenty more places to shop.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Just like the news...it's the bummer stories that are "juicy".

Where I work, complimentary letters are really celebrated - the CEO selects one each month to read out loud in front of the entire company (about 400 people). It has made me a lot more likely to send a letter (or at least an email) when a staff person somewhere goes above and beyond for me.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:45 PM

When I worked in a restaurant we were told that someone that was pleased will tell 1 person vs 20 if they were displeased. Outrage makes for a better story. So, the way to combat that is to give such great service it becomes a story in itself. Not easy but when it happens you've made a customer for life.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:05 PM

I compliment good service every where I go. It's rare that I've run into bad service. And I try to remember how it was as a single working mother when I have. We don't know what their life is like or what problems they may be facing. And I always say to them I hope your day gets better and it usually brings out a 'thank you' from them. I think we tend to think that as ''customers'' it's all about us and we forget to see the person taking care of us as a person. And it's a good idea to remember we all have had and will have bad days. Showing a little compassion to all the people we encounter is some thing every one should do. Who knows it could be a wonderfully contagious thing.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but the money I pay should include good service, so I don't toot the horn for someone or place that gives value for value. They were supposed to! When I do pay and don't get the service or product I paid for, the world will hear. That said, I will accept excuses, but only so far.
I used to feel as you do, value for value. Now a days good customer service is rarer than green zebras, so when I get great service, I tell people about it, so they can be treated well too! Share the wealth! When everyone was making a more decent wage, service was better because fewer people had to work more than 40 hour shifts just to keep a roof. With the exception of a cable company who seems to oppose good service, and will remain nameless, customer service is harder to give when you don't know where your next rent check is coming from. Pretty hard to smile if you are a stressed out wreak. Just my thoughts...
Old 06-03-2015, 04:51 AM

Default along the same lines

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I used to feel as you do, value for value. Now a days good customer service is rarer than green zebras, so when I get great service, I tell people about it, so they can be treated well too! Share the wealth! When everyone was making a more decent wage, service was better because fewer people had to work more than 40 hour shifts just to keep a roof. With the exception of a cable company who seems to oppose good service, and will remain nameless, customer service is harder to give when you don't know where your next rent check is coming from. Pretty hard to smile if you are a stressed out wreak. Just my thoughts...
Manners seem to be a thing of the past, a thank you is easy to say but excuse me seems to be forgotten. I'm nearly 71 yo and I find myself opening doors for the elderly, saying excuse me if I get in someone's way, back into them or get too close to their personal space but never do I hear excuse me from someone else, and opening or holding a door open is unusual and deserves a thank you and a smile of appreciation. Same thing for good customer service.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:53 AM
dd

We were recently looking at computers. Our son, who used to sell computers, said don't even talk to the guy who is trying too hard to be nice. He is only trying to make a sale. Talk to the other one, he will make sure you get what you want and need. Had to laugh at is logic. Our daughter used to wait tables. One of the other waitresses told her to tell all her customers either she wasn't feeling well or her kid is sick, some sob story. She says you get bigger tips cuz they feel sorry for you. If a waitress tells me she isn't feeling well, I don't want her as a waitress.