Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 AM

That's so sad! We need to tell ourselves everyday "I am beautiful...maybe not perfect but God thinks I-am-beautiful!"

Originally Posted by Murphy1
My sister was that way. And if she had to be in a picture, she wouldn't smile. So she passed away at 56 and my niece has very few pictures of her mom. She on the other hand takes pictures of her husband, toddler and herself probably weekly and posts them on FB.
Originally Posted by Beachbound
Originally Posted by Rita's mom
Eeeew.... I love seeing pics of all of you but I am the queen of avoiding pictures, although the last ones I saw of myself are the ones that helped me finally start doing something about this wieght! hmmm I will have to think on that and muster up some courage.
I was the same way...to the point of stopping my dh from taking any pictures. Then I noticed that there ae no pictures of me with my grandbabies. Years & years from now they won't remember all of the fun times we had without pictures. I am sorry I did that & will try to be better & just smile. So I am not perfect...wow, what a shocker, huh? :roll:
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Kelsey is doing fine, as far as I know. She has been very busy catching up with friends. Sunday she took off for Michigan to visit her boyfriend that she met while in Korea. I hope to see her again next week.
Originally Posted by Beachbound
Lynne, your quilt is stunning!! Thanks so much for showing it to us. How in the world did you manage to make that in an RV!!!

Xylie, thanks for your story. It does help to hear sucess & encoragement.

Pam, how is Kelsey doing now that she is home?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Howdy Yall!!

Cathie is here and we have been having tons of fun. My mom and step dad are in NC and so we have been house sitting.

I have been commissioned to make a quilt that will be auctioned off to raise money for an organization called Better Bed Rest. As I understand it, the organization helps moms who are on bed rest before they have their babies.

Anyway...I'm going to to expose my ignorance here but I have to. I need your help.

The quilt that I have designed and been asked to make (the picture of the design is below) has quite a few triangles and I have almost NO experience making half-square triangles.

The finished HST blocks need to be 2 1/2 inches. HELP!!

Thank you guys so much in advance!!

Missy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-269646.jpe  
Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Howdy Yall!!

Cathie is here and we have been having tons of fun. My mom and step dad are in NC and so we have been house sitting.

I have been commissioned to make a quilt that will be auctioned off to raise money for an organization called Better Bed Rest. As I understand it, the organization helps moms who are on bed rest before they have their babies.

Anyway...I'm going to to expose my ignorance here but I have to. I need your help.

The quilt that I have designed and been asked to make (the picture of the design is below) has quite a few triangles and I have almost NO experience making half-square triangles.

Missy

I love the quilt, I am afraid of triangles still, congrats on tackling them and I am sure it will be lovely.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by katvert
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Howdy Yall!!

Missy

I love the quilt, I am afraid of triangles still, congrats on tackling them and I am sure it will be lovely.
Thank you so much! I really like it too. I know that as I was doing the designing I thought that this would be a good time to focus on triangles. I do not know why I fear working with them so much. I am hoping that by making this quilt that I will finally conquer my fears.

Missy
Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Missy,
I am confused. You need a nine-patch, of which one block inside is 2.5 inches? Or you need the entire nine-patch to be 2.5 inches?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Missy, maybe this link will help
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8342-1.htm
If you don't want to fuss with the 7/8" you can just add 1" and then trim to size. Much easier IMHO.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Missy,
I am confused. You need a nine-patch, of which one block inside is 2.5 inches? Or you need the entire nine-patch to be 2.5 inches?
The whole 9-patch is 12 inches (finished)making each part of it 4 inches (finished). That would make the half-square triangles to be 2 inches (finished). Did that make sense? All of these numbers are flying through my head!

Normally I love it that way when I design my own patterns but dealing with the triangles is definitely causing my head to spin. LOL!

Missy
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM

Good evening you beautiful group of skinnies! (In mind first, then the body follows)

Murphy1 and BettyKay, thank you for your sweet words about my quilt.

Judy, thank you, but I have never felt that putting colors together was something I did well. Actually, my friend Michelle helped me. I was buying the fabric in her shop and fell in love with the leaved print (border fabric) and we went from there. Really this pattern calls for more contrast. You sound adorable with your red curls!

Pam_H, thank you, thank you. With the exception of our 2 year RV stay, I've slept on a waterbed since 1990. They are getting harder to find. You can bet once we settle again, I will be leaving no stone unturned for another one. I love them!

LaurieJo, good to see you. It has been pretty chatty lately. Isn't it great?

Xylie, I so agree with you. Losing weight is easy in comparison to keeping it off. I have lost weight dozens of times - if I had KEPT it off, I wouldn't have to keep going around this mountain. This time WILL BE DIFFERENT!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM

duh-ble post!
so sorry