Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 AM

Halloween is not here yet and I am planning a Thanksgiving dinner menu. I have to put some extra thoughts into it, as I have one member is a Vegetatarian, and two low carb people. We will all benefit from that.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Morning All!

Missy that basket program is wonderful unfortunately not one in the PA area. We have had farmers markets all over our area all summer and i will miss picking up fresh produce.

Love Love Love my mom but we were never touchy feely because there were just two many of us. My Mom was always pregnant, had a new baby or was recovering from a miscarrage. When we went to church we always sat in birth order the oldest first and then my mom and dad last. When i turned Four i was already Three people away from my mom.
In the evening when we were all supposed to be asleep i would sneak downstairs to snuggle up beside my mom on the couch and watch her hand embroider lingerie for a company so that she could make a little extra money. She did really beautiful embroidery and i learned by watching her eventually when i was good that enough she let me embroider some of the minor details on the lingerie. It is some of my finest memories. She is 85 and today we sometimes snuggle up together on her couch under a quilt i have made for her.

She weighs about as much as her age and me well i'm a lot bigger now. sigh. i am working on that though.

What was your favorite halloween costume as a kid? For me It was a pink satin elephant costume. (oh boy after i typed that i thought to myself i grew into that one)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today.

Just remember it takes 200,000 frowns to make a permanent wrinkle. No frowns here today all smiles, OK.

lisa
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 AM

Good Morning Ladies!

Lisa, thanks for sharing. It is nice to read about happy times. Favorite costume huh? I was a hobo many times over but my fave was when mom made me a satin gypsy costume....I thought I was be-au-ti-ful! LOL!!!

I saw this on Facebook yesterday: Some people come into our lives as a BLESSING, other come as a LESSON. Good to think about, right? I sure to be a blessing to someone today...gotta make that happen!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Love your Mom memories. There were just three girls in our family and 1 bathroom. We laughed that Dad often just went outside.

Favorite Halloween costume, this is terrible I know I went trick or treating but I can't remember what I would be. I do remember making costumes for my two. C3PO was one of my big efforts for my son, and Dorothy from the Wiazard of OZ for my daughter.

This year my daughter is dressing up for a party and work as a Monarch butterfly. She got the pattern from a Martha Stewart magazine. She did an awesome job on the wings, She bought butterflies to cut in half and glue to the outer part of her eye. It really is stunning. Can't wait to see it. Will try to remember to take a picture and post.

This has been a slow week on the scale. I am maintaining, but need to do more than that. It didn't help that there were so many fun recipes on line for caramel corn. I found one that was really a hit and a do over and easy as well. I made it for two little girls I am filling up a treat bag for and giving today along with two cut mug rugs I made with pumpkins on them.

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, because the focus is on family and being thankful for all we have. I also could eat all the stuffing and not share, it is my favorite part of the meal. Whatis your favorite holiday and food connected with it?

Originally Posted by ljs317
Morning All!

Missy that basket program is wonderful unfortunately not one in the PA area. We have had farmers markets all over our area all summer and i will miss picking up fresh produce.

Love Love Love my mom but we were never touchy feely because there were just two many of us. My Mom was always pregnant, had a new baby or was recovering from a miscarrage. When we went to church we always sat in birth order the oldest first and then my mom and dad last. When i turned Four i was already Three people away from my mom.
In the evening when we were all supposed to be asleep i would sneak downstairs to snuggle up beside my mom on the couch and watch her hand embroider lingerie for a company so that she could make a little extra money. She did really beautiful embroidery and i learned by watching her eventually when i was good that enough she let me embroider some of the minor details on the lingerie. It is some of my finest memories. She is 85 and today we sometimes snuggle up together on her couch under a quilt i have made for her.

She weighs about as much as her age and me well i'm a lot bigger now. sigh. i am working on that though.

What was your favorite halloween costume as a kid? For me It was a pink satin elephant costume. (oh boy after i typed that i thought to myself i grew into that one)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today.

Just remember it takes 200,000 frowns to make a permanent wrinkle. No frowns here today all smiles, OK.

lisa
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanksgiving has to be a favorite holiday with Easter right in there. A favorite food? Cranberry orange bread with lots of walnuts and spread with cream cheese. Turkey covered in good gravy.

The month is coming to an end. How are you all doing? Still keeping up with the exercise and drinking your water. If I have to answer it'd be yes to the exercise question and no to the water question as usual. Okay on food, though the cheese omelet wasn't a good idea.

One hour, one day at a time, we can do this. I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM

It is snowing!!!

Ugh. Not yet!

Missy
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 PM
mim

My most memorable Thanksgiving dinner was in Aukland New Zealand. I was visiting friends who had come to maine and stayed for several weeks.

They liked the idea of Thanksgiving so they planned a Thanksgiving dinner.

Because it wasn't a holiday in NZ, it was a cold buffet turkey -- with lots of hot dishes. All their friends and neighbors were invited and brought foods. It was truly a feast of love and friendship.

They continued the holiday because it was so well received

Mim
Originally Posted by reisingranch
Halloween is not here yet and I am planning a Thanksgiving dinner menu. I have to put some extra thoughts into it, as I have one member is a Vegetatarian, and two low carb people. We will all benefit from that.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mim
My most memorable Thanksgiving dinner was in Aukland New Zealand. I was visiting friends who had come to maine and stayed for several weeks.

They liked the idea of Thanksgiving so they planned a Thanksgiving dinner.

Because it wasn't a holiday in NZ, it was a cold buffet turkey -- with lots of hot dishes. All their friends and neighbors were invited and brought foods. It was truly a feast of love and friendship.

They continued the holiday because it was so well received

Mim
Originally Posted by reisingranch
What a sweet story! I think everyone benefits from a time set aside to be thankful!!

Missy
Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 PM

That would be a treat for us. I know if I had to drive in it it would be a dread. Hope you can stay warm and cozy inside.
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
It is snowing!!!

Ugh. Not yet!

Missy
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
That would be a treat for us. I know if I had to drive in it it would be a dread. Hope you can stay warm and cozy inside.
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
It is snowing!!!

Ugh. Not yet!

Missy
I hope the same! We were supposed to drop to 15 tonight but it is only 17 degrees right now so I am thinking we are going to be colder than 15 degrees by the morning. *sigh* I was just not prepared for this so soon.

Missy