Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to try some of them. I guess the older your get the lets efficient the system gets.
Originally Posted by nancia
elm-- welcome home. i get constipated by my pain pills, so i totally understand. take a stool softener when you get up , with a glass of water. eat fruit and high fiber vegetables, like celery, bananas, oranges, and apples and believe it or not, potatoes. just don't use butter on the spud! i now eat mine with a little salt and pepper or mrs dash. i'm lactose intolerant so all i, personally, need to do is eat ice cream.lol it all goes through and has no time to leave calories. black licorice if you like it, and i'm talking the real stuff, also works well. molasses is a good natural relief, too.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 AM

That is perfect. I always wait till the last minute to buy it because I am tempted to eat it. This year we're giving out granola bars - a few years ago we were really a hit because I ordered popcorn balls from the popcorn factory and gave those out. With the economy the way it is, stopped last year, they are now $50.00 for 100. I can use the money for fabric instead.
Originally Posted by Beachbound
Taboo Tuesday!!!!

NO HALLOWEEN CANDY!!!! NONE! This one we can all do!!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Hi All! It's a brilliant day in the neighborhood!!! Thank God I'm Alive to witness all this glory!

Missy I am so happy that your child will be home soon! Hip Hip Horray for the return of our boys and girls.

Irish Have you ever tried a product called under armour?
I heard it's really warm and is form fitting not baggy like some "long Johns"

Nancia, I love the mud reference! I just hope that the sucking noise isn't to loud when you get pulled out! lol

Ok so what's everyone dressing as for Halloween this year?
Me I'm going as a thread catcher! I have been sewing up a storm just to keep myself out of the kitchen. I keep the sewing machine in the family room and the ironing board in the laundry room and the cutting board in the living room. Lots of moving about to accomplish anything but Its a conscious decision on my part to keep moving. (I hope the spelling police aren't reading)

Have a super dooper great day and put your arms out and pretend your flying through the air. throw your head back and laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!as you soar up over all of your problems

Love to all
Lisa
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM

No Halloween candy?? Okay, I always buy something I don't like or Twix bars because I can't have wheat that way I'm not tempted. Take away my Halloween candy, but give back my cheese. I made the week, but I had to revise a few recipes like Chicken Alfredo without Parmesan last night. I think I'll get a salad or a cheese omelet when I go out with my daughter tonight. Too cold and damp for salad though Bob Evans has some good ones.

Note to self: you do better if carbs are eaten in the first half of the day. I had pasta for dinner last night and I was starving from dinner time to bedtime.

Jeanne, it's a tough time of year for the arthritises and Lupus. I have a friend who just had to go back on pred because he couldn't move at all and he basically only has RA. His wife says she hasn't noticed any weight gain like I have with the pred.

All there is to say about our mothers is that I'm sure we all are better mothers to our children than our mothers were to us. So much of my mental state today stems for the things that were verbalized to me when I was a child. The person who gave birth to us effects us for our entire lives whether she is in our life or not. My mother had manic depression and was in an abusive relationship. Not a good combo. I had to sit with her until the ambulance came when she slit her wrists when I was 7. And again later. Nothing a child should have to do. Enough of that or I'll be depressed all day and my shrink has retired.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.

edit: Under Armor is available at the sporting goods stores, but IMO is very pricey. My great grandsons think they can't play football without it - even the peewee league one, so my daughter buys it for them. What a nice grandmother she is. I was going to say I'll ask for some for Christmas, but I need a plane ticket to Albuqueque worse. My granddaughter is graduating as the valedictorian and expects me to be there. Today I need to get my car out of hock. When I was coming down a big hill coming home from a neighboring town yesterday, my brakes went out. More fun and games. Money, money, money. Everybody wants mine. Okay, enough whining.

Have a healthy eating day.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Irish

Great idea about the cookie baking but My baking skilles leave a little to be desired. But I can pick up some starbucks coffe or tea and swing by the station.
Things that make you go hummm.

Lisa
Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
mim

Interesting about mothers and not liking them. I just had a family reunion in Kansas City with both sons. We hadn't been all together for almost 7 years. Space, distance, moving and economics played a big part in the gap.

Anyhow, talking about my mother and how she pitted each of the children against the other and withheld care and attention when we didn't guess what it was that she wanted of us, my older son remarked that it was typical of her background. I had never thought of it like that -- impersonal -- It didn't make me like her any better, but I could understand better. She is long gone and none of us really mourned the way we did for my father.

Mim
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
mim

I haven't lost any weight this month -- I used the excuse that I had to empty the fridge to close the cottage. In KS, we went out to dinner every night and had wonderful breakfasts.

I arrived here in WA late Sunday night so I have no excuse for here :-) :-)

I did bring the sunshine for a day and today it is only cloudy. Maybe later we will go for a walk. Yesterday I was too tired. The plane had brake troubles and we sat on the plane almost 2 hours listening to them work. No air conditioning because the vents were too near the brake lines. It started to smell after a while.

Next month will be better and I will again start to lose. But I didn't gain this month so I am ahead of the game
Mim
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Xylie Thank you for being so wise and sharing your wisdom with us. There is alot of good advise in there.
I lost my mom when I was just 21. She was a sweet lady but very beat down by my alcoholic father. I think that is why she died so young, just 54 years old. I inherited alot of her traits but also the anger she surely had to have in her somewhere. I think we all want to be better mothers than what ours where, so I have always made sure my daughters lives where nothing like mine growing up.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mim
Interesting about mothers and not liking them. I just had a family reunion in Kansas City with both sons. We hadn't been all together for almost 7 years. Space, distance, moving and economics played a big part in the gap.

Anyhow, talking about my mother and how she pitted each of the children against the other and withheld care and attention when we didn't guess what it was that she wanted of us, my older son remarked that it was typical of her background. I had never thought of it like that -- impersonal -- It didn't make me like her any better, but I could understand better. She is long gone and none of us really mourned the way we did for my father.

Mim

OMG! I could have wrote this myself!!!!! Add that my grandparents on my mom's side came from Europe as young adults; not much touchy feelings there!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Gosh what is with the brake thing? My DH just replaced the brakes on the car last week and when I was on my way home in the truck yesterday I stopped at a light and heard that groaning noise you hear when the brakes need replaced. So that is two vehicles in two weeks! lol