Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM

thanks everyone for the positive posts! i am trying to raise my spirit, but i think it's stuck in lisa's mud, with no firemen in sight!
i was once an excellent speller and then i became a teacher! after years of seeing words spelled wrong, they begin to look right. i do have spell check but i drive it crazy because i don't use capitals. and it won't tell me when i use the wrong word either! jeanne, i love your new word "exhaustertested". probable meaning--tired of being tested, leave me alone! i'm not laughing at you! i think it conveys a very strong message!
missy--how wonderful! i hope you will get to spend some quality time together! just knowing she is safe is more valuable than gold!
irish--have you heard of, or tried, under armor? it's supposed to be wonderful! all the young guys who were working outside for my old employer swore by the stuff! i am asking for a pair of sheepskin lined slippers this year. my feet have never had much circulation, and even tho' they felt cold to the touch (my poor husband! LOL) they didn't feel cold to me. this fall i've noticed they are getting cold. also, invest in a down comforter if you can. sorry, but even quilts are not as warm and lightweight. ooppsss, is that blasphemy?
i have no idea what my weight is doing. i am trying to get back in the groove as i feel all puffy and sausagey.(spellchecker doesn't recognize that word!)
part of my sadness is due to my mom's condition. i haven't seen her in almost 6 yrs because i don't like her. she is now in a memory unit with altzheimers and has started getting violent. she would no longer recognize me if i did show up. in a way it is more of a death than her actual passing. she is still my mother, so i still reluctantly have feelings. she was a good friend to a lot of people, but we never got along. clash of the titans! she hated that i didn't agree with her on much of anything. i hope her remaining life is short for her sake. she is 91 and wanted to die long ago. the life she has now is what she envisioned as her personal hell. i would not wish that on anyone. so, i think that's a large part of what's eating me and causing me to eat.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM

Sure looks like something has been working for you! Congrats I'm the slowest loser ever, but have always known that age does make a diff. The older I get, the slower the flab leaves.
I just keep plugging along & what will be, will be.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM

I have read some of her books & liked them.Reading was my 1st love & if I get started on a good book, all else fades away.Thanks for the reminder.Will find me another WB book.

"Pat~ love the pictures! We used to live in Ohio & I loved visiting Sugarcreek & Millersburg. Do you ever read any of the Amish books by Wanda E Brunstetter? I enjoy them"
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Oh,my....the relief you must feel! Tell her thank you from us. Our Grson is waiting orders to ship out soon, we don't know yet where he will be going.

"BEST. NEWS. EVER.

I just found out that my daughter (who is in the Army) will be coming home from Afghanistan before Christmas!!

I cannot wait to hear that she has touched American soil!

Oh please bring our soldiers home safe and sound!"
Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM

Hello everyone. Glad to hear most of you are doing well.

Nancia, don't beat yourself up about how you feel in regard to your mother and don't let it beat you! You need to take care of you and let God take care of her now.

Cindy, it's great to hear you're doing so well but don't rush back to work before you are ready. It takes a lot longer for us to heal than it used to and you need to be patient with the process. You'll know when you're ready!

Fall has definitely arrived in the Ozarks. We spent the afternoon today raking leaves. Tomorrow it will look like we didn't do anything out there. I'm looking at it as a great way to burn calories--built in exercise without leaving home!

Today was a very busy one for me. It was my first day of classes for the CNA course I'm taking at a local college. It's going to be four very busy weeks of learning/studying for me but it will all be worth it when I get that certification and begin working again. If any of you in the nursing/medical field have any advice on how to deal with the classroom part of this new adventure, I'd appreciate your input. Most of the students in the class want to do home care but I'm more interested in working with the elderly in nursing homes. After caring for my mother-in-law in our home the last three months of her life, and for several years prior to that when she was in assisted living facilities, I've decided I'd like to help others in the same situation. If all goes well, I'll be able to get started doing just that during the holiday season.

Hope all of you have a good week and that things get better for those who are having difficulties.

I'm in control, I'm losing, I CAN do this!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM

thanks, princess. i am definitely trying. ( old joke, but my mother used to say i was the most trying child she'd ever known).
Old 10-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Sounds like everyone is living life to the fullest!!! I am doing better on the eating but (how embarrassing!) having lots of constipation. Does anyone else have this when dieting? I try drinking lots of water. Any advise?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
elm

Hello,
Just got back from the Documentary Film Festival in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Even though I tried to do some walking every day, all that sitting and eating out resulted in weight gain. So, I'll just have to start again. I don't like this one step forward and two steps back, but I did enjoy the festival and am glad I took the vacation.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gelswood
Sounds like everyone is living life to the fullest!!! I am doing better on the eating but (how embarrassing!) having lots of constipation. Does anyone else have this when dieting? I try drinking lots of water. Any advise?
How is your raw vegatable intake? That may help.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM

My weight has leveled out since my surgery. I have lost 17lbs so far. I am still eating healthy and several small meals a day. I dont have the energy to eat large meals. I have to increase my fiber and raw vegatable intake to help counter act the pain pills.

I have a doctor's appointment in the morning for a follow-up with the PCP since I was in the hospital. I need to see what we need to do about my insulin as I have been having low blood sugars 100 to 150. dont want to bottom out so will see what we need to change.

I am losing and in control of what I do.

Cindy