Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Hope everything is going well for everyone. This week has been busy with all sorts of stuff, so I haven't had much time to log in. I'm still sticking to the salads, they seem to help. I'm definitely not hitting my 180s goal yet, but I'm still trying. LOL Keep up the good work!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
That sounds awesome. I imagine it would be wonderful in a hot tea brew as well. Thanks for sharing, sorry I have no idea about how much spice. Would tasting as you season help?
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Okay folks...let's talk oranges!

I am picking up our baskets from Bountiful Baskets on Saturday and one of the things that will be in our baskets is 100 valencia oranges (about 36 pounds or so). I want to cut them in half then juice them. Once they are juiced then I will carefully pull out the membranes and then place them on a cookie sheet cut side up. Next I will pop them in the oven at 250 degrees for all night to dry out. The next day I combine a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. My question is...about how much of each spice should I use? The orange halves (minus the membranes) can hold about a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the packed brown sugar and spices.

I have made these many times but I cannot find my recipe for my life! Ugh. These cidar mulls are so wonderful. All you do is place the entire mull (the half orange with the sugar/spices) in a pan with apple juice and heat on low until warm. The aroma is out of this world and it tastes so much better than the packets of powdered apple cider.

Thank you so much for your help with this! I really appreciate it.

Missy
I think that is what I am going to do...

Missy
Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Another month almost over and I wish I could say I met my goal this month, but due to a lengthy plateau I am still struggling to reach a 5 lb loss. Just a couple more pounds to go so maybe by next week I'll get there. At least I didn't gain any back!

It's been raining all day and cold. I guess winter is here to stay....yippeee!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM

I am picking up our baskets from Bountiful Baskets on Saturday and one of the things that will be in our baskets is 100 valencia oranges (about 36 pounds or so). I want to cut them in half then juice them. Once they are juiced then I will carefully pull out the membranes and then place them on a cookie sheet cut side up. Next I will pop them in the oven at 250 degrees for all night to dry out. The next day I combine a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. My question is...about how much of each spice should I use? The orange halves (minus the membranes) can hold about a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the packed brown sugar and spices.

I have made these many times but I cannot find my recipe for my life! Ugh. These cidar mulls are so wonderful. All you do is place the entire mull (the half orange with the sugar/spices) in a pan with apple juice and heat on low until warm. The aroma is out of this world and it tastes so much better than the packets of powdered apple cider.

Missy
I think this is your recipe, just for wine mulls instead of cider, same thing though...

http://phatfoodie.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/wine-mulls/

I love oranges and I admit I am jealous! This sounds wonderful. I checked into Bountiful Blessings and the nearest sight is about 150 miles from me. Is it worth the drive?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM

I found the recipe!!

CIDER MULLS

How to make a cider mull...

Using a juice orange (that has a thin skin), cut in half crosswise, removing all the pulp and skin.

Dry the skin. You can do this by putting them above the refrigerator (there is some heat that comes off the back of the fridge) or by putting the skins over an inverted cupcake pan in a low oven (about 150) for about an hour or two. You will want to take the skins off the pan at this point, you can put them back in the oven (with the oven turned off) over night. Keep checking to make sure that you have the skins totally dry before you go any further. Next you will pack the dried skin with brown sugar. On top of the sugar arrange some whole cloves, whole allspice and a cinnamon stick.

Wrap the completed cider mull in a piece of plastic wrap. You will want to place the wrap so that the pretty side of the mull is up and the gathers of the plastic are to the back. Finish off with a piece of ribbon or other decoration.

Add one mull to one quart of apple cider and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277943.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Try these no sugar spice cookies:

https://phatfoodie.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/pumpkin-spice-meringues/]https://phatfoodie.wordpress.com/201...ice-meringues/[/url]
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem

Missy
I love oranges and I admit I am jealous! I don't know what the spice ratio would be but this sounds wonderful. I checked into Bountiful Blessings and the nearest sight is about 150 miles from me. Is it worth the drive?
It is for us, at least in the winter that is. We do not get a good selection of produce in the winter. So, if you have a good selection of produce year round it might not be.

Missy
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM

I have a very good selection of produce here in frozen N Mich. Trouble is the winter apples are Washington ones, not Michigan. I will fill one of my fruit/vegetable keepers in the fridge with Michigan apples very soon. Tomorrow's the last farmer's market. They might have some bargains, otherwise I can go to the fruit market. I just ate my last home grown tomato. I want to pick up a couple of sugar pumpkins, too.

The oatmeal with flax in it was good and I'm not a flax fan. I'll grab a couple more of those while they are on sale. A 5 pack for $1. The one I had didn't taste nearly as sweet as the Quaker brand. It's hard to eat healthy if you don't make the supreme effort to go shopping. I hate shopping except for fabric.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - Do I have enough time to me my goal for the month? Whole Foods grand opening in our town was yesterday, we tried out the food bar today. Last night I had some caramel corn. I have to get myself back on track. I will drink lots of hot tea tomorrow and quilt, quilt without thinking about food. Oh, they had holiday grapes there that were huge and sweet. That's what I will have for lunch tomorrow. Hope tomorrow is a better food day.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Sure, you can make it. Eat lightly one day and normally on the alternate day, then repeat. I made my personal goal and have to hold for three days. Sometimes that's not easy either. I will folow my own advice.