Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members >

Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members

Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members

Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 AM

This really has nothing to do with anything - but as I had watched "Keeping Up With Appearances" and "As Time Goes By" and any other comedy I see on tv, they ALWAYS have this teeny tiny refrigerator in their kitchen. Doesn't anyone ever have any large refrigerators like we do here?? I just don't know how all the perishables could fit in those little refrigs!!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:45 AM

i lived in England for three years and that is all we had.. they still bring milk and eggs and things like that to your door every day if you wish..they do have alittle bigger frig. but not much bigger then the ones you see on the show...
Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 AM

I lived in Germany for 5 years. They only have the small refrigerators there, too. People go grocery shopping daily and buy/prepare fresh foods, so no need for a large refrigerator.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm English but been away from there for almost 20 years now. I think most have "big" fridges now. Dont forget that those TV programmes are not recent - they were made years ago, even though they are still repeated on UK TV too.
I have a "big" fridge here - and a smaller one - keeps the wine cool!
I dont think there are many milk deliveries now, certainly in cities and larger towns - that is dying out, as people tend to do a "weekly" shop at the supermarket.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 AM

I am also English. My brother, who still lives over there, just had to buy a new fridge and, yes, it is still a tiny, under-counter model ;-) However, he also has a good sized chest freezer in the garage - the same sort of set-up I had when living there. Most regular, older houses just don't have room for bigger fridges in the kitchen so you find a lot of compact models in the appliance stores.

Otoh, the large Amana fridge/freezers have been popular for some time with those who are fortunate enough to have bigger kitchens.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I can't imagine having to shop every day... or every other day for that matter, unless it is fabric related LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM

So, someone else loves watching the English comedies!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I am English, but transplanted to Aus. when I was young. Can't recall having a fridge 'til we got to Australia, we did however have a cellar, a giant pantry (with a marble slab). It is very popular in Europe to shop daily and I know some family members only have small fridges, my country cousins have chest freezers. Here in Australia, you just couldn't do without a fridge/freezer.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:48 PM

I have a SIL who is Japanese and she shops for fresh food every day. I would think it would cost more to do it that way.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM

I used to watch Keep up with Appearances. What a funny show, everyone tried to hide from Hyacinth. I also watched that show about the department store. I can't remember the name. Red Dwarf is one of my favorites, but we don't get any of those shows here on satellite.