Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members >

Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members

Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM

I love how you view us Brits!! We DO live in the 21st century but don.t do everything as large as the US. We are a very small island comparatively and space is at a premium!! Our houses are much smaller! I live in a 3bedroom bungalow, my kitchen is 15ftx10ft adequate for our lifestyle!! My sewing room is 8ftx7ft and I manage very well!! My local supermarket is less than a mile away and I shop for fresh bread,milk etc 2 or 3 times a week. I am quite happy don.t feel sorry for us!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM

I would love to be able to walk down the block to a grocery, bakery, or other shop. I have to drive everywhere. I loved visiting in Europe for that reason. Of course, there are places there one has to drive or use public transportation.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Nancy, I live in Texas and I've never seen appliances sold without the cord built in. That's a new one for me. My printer came with the cord, but it is not built in.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I love how you view us Brits!! We DO live in the 21st century but don.t do everything as large as the US. We are a very small island comparatively and space is at a premium!! Our houses are much smaller! I live in a 3bedroom bungalow, my kitchen is 15ftx10ft adequate for our lifestyle!! My sewing room is 8ftx7ft and I manage very well!! My local supermarket is less than a mile away and I shop for fresh bread,milk etc 2 or 3 times a week. I am quite happy don.t feel sorry for us!!!! OOOPS don.t know why this printed twice!!
It is lovely to walk, talk to the neighbours, the school crossing man and generally view the world. Small can be beautiful. I love living in the UK. Have travelled extensively and never seen a country that can vary so quickly over a very small distance.

Our weather can change so quickly and it does give us something to groan & talk about!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
Nancy, I live in Texas and I've never seen appliances sold without the cord built in. That's a new one for me. My printer came with the cord, but it is not built in.
On the other hand, I have two Berninas that have seperate cords (but supplied with them) One overlocker, ditto, One 25 year old Singer, ditto. The only machine I have with a built in cord is my Featherweight (white, built about 1965).

When I lived in the UK I had an under the counter fridge, no room for anything larger, but a 16 cubic ft chest freezer in the garage. Now I have a larder fridge, (about 5ft tall, but only the same width as a kitchen cupboard) and a 7 cu.ft freezer, because I live alone now. [Larder fridges have no ice compartment so more space for general food]
Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
I love how you view us Brits!! We DO live in the 21st century but don.t do everything as large as the US. We are a very small island comparatively and space is at a premium!! Our houses are much smaller! I live in a 3bedroom bungalow, my kitchen is 15ftx10ft adequate for our lifestyle!! My sewing room is 8ftx7ft and I manage very well!! My local supermarket is less than a mile away and I shop for fresh bread,milk etc 2 or 3 times a week. I am quite happy don.t feel sorry for us!!!! OOOPS don.t know why this printed twice!!
It is lovely to walk, talk to the neighbours, the school crossing man and generally view the world. Small can be beautiful. I love living in the UK. Have travelled extensively and never seen a country that can vary so quickly over a very small distance.

Our weather can change so quickly and it does give us something to groan & talk about!
So true!! Where else do you get all the seasons in one day!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy

So true!! Where else do you get all the seasons in one day!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Re Mr Bean---Yes I like him but he hasn't been on TV for ages,did you see his film The Holiday---very funny

We too have a small fridge and a freezer in the garage but we too don't have far to go to the shops,so it has it's bonuses,maybe if we lived in the countryside i would get more sewing done!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Coventry - we don't feel SORRY for you!! WE are just use to the way we live, and can't imagine living any other way --- well that may change.. Your produce is fresh?? Ours is shipped from another country! Hey! I watch Hyacinth and I know what it is like there......that's a joke, ok?
quilty - in CA we had to buy separate cords, and MO too - were told they do NOT sell them together!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mellina
So, someone else loves watching the English comedies!
I love them too!