Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members >
  • Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members

• Off Topic - Focused at Our England Members

Old 09-04-2010, 04:20 AM

Ohh As Time Goes By was one of my DH's favorites!! Judi is just too busy I guess making the Bond movies and starring in so many other things. The set that it was filmed on was just darling - I would love to have a house like that! If anyone hears about a DVD set of Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By let us all know!! Those could NEVER be made in the states, especially KUA. There is another program I discovered when we had the "free Channel" and that was......NUTS! I forgot the name! It was a reality program where 4 strangers would take turns making dinner for the other 3 and then they would be rated. The winner would win $$. Too bad I had that for only a week - now if they did THAT program in the states, it would be too "dry" but over the pond they were so funny!! Their comments were catty, crisp and made ya feel that you wanted to be there with them! Does anyone know what I'm talking about??
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 AM

What about --Open all hours,Fawlty towers,Only Fools and Horses---and here I am thinking that the Americans don't always "get" our humour!!!
    Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by campion
    What about --Open all hours,Fawlty towers,Only Fools and Horses---and here I am thinking that the Americans don't always "get" our humour!!!
    Sometimes it takes me watching it a couple of times, then I get the humor. Mostly because the line is very English life specific (you have to live there to get it).

PS - Love Black Adder and Red Dwarf.
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Red Dwarf and Black Adder were big favourites of my Sons when they were younger.
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 AM

Lived there also in 60's and they were small. However eggs, milk and other things were delivered and I had 2 shops and a meat shop in the little vilage We lived in. Also you always knew when a grocer would come in his little lorry y with his specialties.every Friday, the fish and chip van would come. Oh, they were absolutley to die for!!!

I MISS YOU MERRY OLE ENGLAND!!!

lOVE THE BRITISH COMEDIES. dOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE OLD RAT BAG? IT WAS 2 OLD FRUMPY GUYS A A FRUMPY OLD LADY? Absolute hoot!
    Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Ohh As Time Goes By was one of my DH's favorites!! Judi is just too busy I guess making the Bond movies and starring in so many other things. The set that it was filmed on was just darling - I would love to have a house like that! If anyone hears about a DVD set of Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By let us all know!! Those could NEVER be made in the states, especially KUA. There is another program I discovered when we had the "free Channel" and that was......NUTS! I forgot the name! It was a reality program where 4 strangers would take turns making dinner for the other 3 and then they would be rated. The winner would win $$. Too bad I had that for only a week - now if they did THAT program in the states, it would be too "dry" but over the pond they were so funny!! Their comments were catty, crisp and made ya feel that you wanted to be there with them! Does anyone know what I'm talking about??
    It.s called "Come Dine with me" !!Sometimes they do it with Celebrities!!!!
    Old 09-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Coventry - we don't feel SORRY for you!! WE are just use to the way we live, and can't imagine living any other way --- well that may change.. Your produce is fresh?? Ours is shipped from another country! Hey! I watch Hyacinth and I know what it is like there......that's a joke, ok?
    quilty - in CA we had to buy separate cords, and MO too - were told they do NOT sell them together!
    Lol. don't you know that we feel sorry for you? You are really missing something that you can only get here.
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 PM

YES Coventry! "Come Dine With Me" I adore their spicey attitudes - they are so friendly and laugh alot - Oh! tonight on KUwithA, Hyacinth was referring to cream cakes - what are those?? They sound scrumptious. Our terminology is different from yours, like our cookie is your biscuit, right? and your chips are our french fries??? So, does that mean that our potato chips are your crisps??? So, is a cream cake a cake that has a cream filling?? hmmmmmmmm
    Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Those comedies are too funny :) can still see them in this area on PBS. Always interesting to see how others do things.
    Now for some reason grocery stores recently have started to put on the sign where produce comes from, like Cal produce shipped out of state, and have seen lots of imports to Cal??
    Old 09-05-2010, 01:33 AM

Nancy --you have got it Cream cakes are various types of cake or scones and even flaky pastry with cream and sometimes jam in.
    Even in parts of England there are different terms---Teacakes to me are buns--sweet bread buns with currants in,in Cumbria they are bread buns!!! Now I will confuse you,