Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Oh No...We've Been Skunked! >
  • Oh No...We've Been Skunked!

• Oh No...We've Been Skunked!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by QM
    Peckish, be sure to add the peroxide last and have a open container(major chemical reaction).
    Noted, thanks!
    Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM

One time when we had 3 young dogs my DH let them out the back door before dawn. They ran fast to the back fence. It was too dark for my husband to see what was there, but he was standing with the door open trying to figure it out when all 3 ran back in right past him. They then frantically rolled on the rug and almost immediately the aroma hit my nose, all the way in the bedroom. It was about the most miserable day I've ever had with pets. They each got 3 baths in a row, and heavy dousing with the formula that the vet advised, with peroxide, etc. Later I went to the pet store and got a commercial skunk odor remover that was pretty effective, but I'm pretty sure that there was a lingering smell in the house for weeks, no matter what we tried. The remaining one of those 3 dogs is now 15, and he forgot his lesson, or perhaps just blundered into another skunk last spring because he is deaf and almost blind. So we had a replay, but at least it was only one dog that time. I read that opossums are not bothered by skunk spray and they will fight skunks for their burrows. We definitely have both possums and skunks around here, and the skunk smell is not a rare event. Outside it will usually dissipate in a few hours. I guess sunlight breaks it down.
    Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM

The peroxide,baking soda and Dawn dish soap recipe works wonders. Years ago Patches, my dalmatian/pointer mix, got a face full of skunk spray. We tried tomato juice...the result was a smelly pink & black dog who was very unhappy. We keep the ingredients on hand to mix up in case of skunk spray. Don't ever try to bottle any remaining solution, it will explode.