Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash >

Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM

my guess would be yeast, try Lotrimin cream. find it in the foot cream isle.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM

when my kids were young I used, starch powder (from the kitchen kind you cook with ) with real diapers at home and disposable only when we went out and made sure they were changed often. I always changed the kids I took care of when I worked for a agency as soon as the parents left. with the disposable ones they seem to leave them on longer cause they say on the packaging that it still keeps baby feeling dry. but they do break out that way cause no air can get in for the bottom to breath. I have seen some people that want to leave them on all day as long as they aren't messed in cause they are expensive and they won't used a real diaper.God forbid to have to wash something like that.
with machines I don't see the problem just wash and give a extra rinse.
My husbands family has a young girl just 25 and pregnant with the sixth kid and has 3 in diapers now so they try and stretch out using them. Poor kids.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Dr treated my daughters diaper rash as a yeast infection. I found out later she was allergic to something in Johnsons baby wipes. I used wash rags and plain water on her after that. Also Desitin diaper cream with zinc oxide. I hope it clears up soon. My youngest son got a rash every time he got diarrhea. The only thing that worked was bathing at each diaper change and air dry.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM

When my sons were babies (34 years ago) one had a terrible diaper rash. Almost blister-like. I phoned the doctor who was in her 70's THEN. She told me that she could prescribe an ointment that would cost around $20 (back then that was quite a bit of $$) or I could follow the tried and true "old time remedy". I said I'd give that a try first. Worked so incredibly well that I never did buy the prescription.

Boil up a bit of water and put in maybe 5 or so regular tea bags. Take them out after about 15 seconds and let them cool completely on a plate. Once cool, pack the diaper with the tea bags and leave on for an hour or so. Then, remove the diaper and let the baby be "butt naked" for as long as possible.

The tanic acid in the tea is a natural healer. The air dry works wonders.

Please give this a try. You won't be sorry, and it costs practically nothing. I'm a grandma now and have given this advice to many a new mom and it always works.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Sometimes a diaper rash can be caused by the diaper. Assuming he's in what we used to call 'paper diapers', you could try changing brands.

My DS used to get terrible rashes when we visited our family in another state. Then we'd go home and it cleared up. I used cloth diapers at home. Having said that, the 'paper diapers' 40 years ago were saturated with perfume, and that could have caused the problem. Also using the local water in his formula could have caused some intestinal issues that made his waste more caustic.

Desitin ointment worked well on the rashes. A warm wash with salty water might help, as well. That's cheap and won't do him any harm. I wouldn't use any steroids without a prescription.

My daughter was allergic to milk...once we found that out, her rashes cleared up quickly.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM

This is not an old time remedy but it does work very well, Aquafor and milk of mag. mix until it makes a paste consistency. Works great
Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM

One time when my son got diaper rash that I couldn't get rid of, I sat him outside on a cloth cover on the ground so the warm sun and air could circulate around it. Diaper rash went away.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM

I agree with Judy, you gotta try a bunch of different things and see what works best for the individual child. One of my boys responded best to zinc oxide cream, the other boy seemed to do better with A&D.

You might have mom check with the pediatrician about witch hazel. It's the active ingredient in hemorrhoid pads. My younger son uses it when he is ill and has diarrhea; his skin is sensitive and he can end up with what amounts to a chemical burn on his bum if he doesn't use it. However, it DOES have 14% alcohol, so I would check with Doc first and never use it on open sores. Ouch.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Great comments. All of the above, DS was so bad only cloth diapers or he would break out. His son was the same way. Is there a history of diaper rash this severe? The chemicals in the paper diapers cause the problems. DS would break out when we use paper. His son was the same way. Also soak the child in clean water. I used the sink and let them play while I watch and held them . The soak pulls the urine out of the skin. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM

Got to keep it dry. I found the best plan was frequent diaper changes and generous use of cornstarch. If I used an ointment, it was Lotrimin (the whole yeast thing).