Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Old Fashioned Blankets

Old Fashioned Blankets

What ever happened to the blankets that had print and lace or just the plain colors on them? Not sure what the fabric was, but I know back then it wasn't plush or fleece. If these are still around where can I find them?

Maybe they were fleece just don't remember what kind they were. I am having a hard time finding them. I guess I will check for fleece blankets.

Are you talmking about chenille blankets with the satin trim? I see them at walmart and other stores.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj View Post
    What ever happened to the blankets that had print and lace or just the plain colors on them? Not sure what the fabric was, but I know back then it wasn't plush or fleece. If these are still around where can I find them?
    It depends on when "back then" was. Acrylic blankets were nice, but the best was, and still is a Pendleton Wool Blanket.

Blog Entries
    fllece didn't come into being until recently, polar fleece is recycled soda bottles melted down and spun into a thread that is then woven. that's why it dries so quickly. I know the kind you're talking of. I had one 50 yrs ago when I was about 5 or 6. don't know what they are made of. didn't interest me at the time, but I knew it was midweight, under my quilt and over my sheet.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Yes wool is nice. But I think it is acrylic. Will look for both the chenille and acrylic. Thanks.

I use 100% cotton woven blankets or a heavy weight flannel blanket between sheet and 100% cotton bedspread/100% cotton quilt. Once upon a time I used to get them from 'the company store'; most recently from overstock.com.

It makes me think of sheet blankets, which were heavy flannel sheets used as blankets. Haven't seen them around...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

TryVermontCountryStore.com

delma

Blog Entries
    If you're looking for sheet blankets, ask at a spa if they use them and would give the name of their supplier. There are still flannel sheets with patterns and plaids and stripes printed on them. I get a catalog that has them and while a bit 'spendy', I have used mine daily for 3 years and they still look like new. They get washed every week.
    If you are looking for chenille, check out the Blair company. They should be on the internet and you can request a catalog. They carry 'down home' type bedding that isn't all the latest gray, etc. No connection to the company.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

You can probably find them at Vermont Country Store. They were an acrylic, also dried fast. I still have four of them that were wedding presents in 1962. Have just put new satin binding on them. We've lived in FL almost 45 years, no doubt the reason they lasted so long. Nine months of the year, a sheet is all that's needed. :-)

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...FUSPHwodpGABdA

Blog Entries
    I have 2 of these sheet blankets and just love them. My DM gave them to me this past fall. I also have the fleece blanket with the satin binding. I just purchased them from Bonton. They remind me of the blankets the Grandma had.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Blog Entries
    I remember the old blankets of the '50s being very itchy and needing something between you and them.
    Finished is better than a UFO

ditto to Vermont Country Store. They have a vast inventory of hard-to-find items.

I think the electric blankets are like the old style blanket fabric. The best insulated blankets to keep the cold and heat from your body were the thermal blankets which had a big weave, like a waffle look. They are impossible to find now. My last one is almost in tatters.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.