Old man cat dilemna

Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

I had a black cat live to be 19 years old and the Vet. said his eyes were starting to break up and he could still hear quite well. He would still jump up into the big greenhouse window I have for the cats, so I knew he could see. He never meowed like others, he , all his life made a Maa-Maa sound. A few months after turning 19 , I had to have him put down, he would not eat or drink. I even set food and water on something high to make it easier for him and he just went Maa-Maa and looked at me, we thought that would be the kindest thing to do for him. He was very sweet and a good pet all his life. That was over 7 years ago. I remember and still miss all my past pets, for sure they enter your heart and never leave it.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM

I had a kitty that I had to have put down at 18 1/2. In her last year or so I had to give her fluids to keep her kidneys functioning. She got to the point where she didn't eat well, so I bought every wet cat food and baby food I could think of to tempt her. She might eat a teaspoon a day. Kept her water dish by her bed. She was always a cold natured kitty so she slept on a heating pad her last days. She was the sweetest kitty and loved to be held. She went from 14 to 3 pounds. The day I knew I had to give her up was the day she didn't want me to hold her. It was a very sad day. I dug her grave before I took her to the vet. I held her as she died. I sit here very teary eyed and this was almost five years ago. I have two very sweet kitties now. I can't imagine my life without a kitty or two. Yes, they do touch your life and I'm so glad they do.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

That video clip sent my dogs into a total frenzy...they were hunting everywhere around my computer for the distressed kitty!

Senility definitely makes them cry....so sad when they get old (my Sarah-Evil-Puss is 16 this year). I had a long haired silver tabby who lived til 18, but he only cried the day he died...that broke my heart...I was at work and my husband held the phone up so I could hear him and talk to him...I have had cats in my life since the day I was born, and I couldn't imagine life without them. I love all animals, but cats are just very special.

Hope you find a solution to the problem...maybe earplugs when you are trying to sleep?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 PM

My old Bun is now officially 19. Happy Birthday Bun! She has arthritis and hard of hearing, but sweet! But on another note, my friend has a male kitty, 15 years old. He just started wetting in unusual places, like the laundry basket. Any suggestions for her?

Bun is my old wonderful kitty, age 19 now.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64593[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64588.jpe  
Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM

The last time we had a cat in heat, she was so miserable that I actually, um, rubbed her with a q-tip. It would work for an hour or two. :shock: :shock:
Oh...my.....ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!! Tears on streaming down my cheeks and my DH thinks I have lost my mine....oh...dear...gasping...lol

That is what I call a dedicated cat owner...or desperate for some peace and quiet. My hats off to you! :-)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
My old Bun is now officially 19. Happy Birthday Bun! She has arthritis and hard of hearing, but sweet! But on another note, my friend has a male kitty, 15 years old. He just started wetting in unusual places, like the laundry basket. Any suggestions for her?
First off a visit to the vet may be in order, specially if he is peeing frequently. As you probably know cats are prone to bladder infections. Anyway, dealing with the pee....spray affected area with a vinegar and water solution, clean with soapy water and then spray lavender or citrus oil roundabout (cats hate lavender and citrus). There are also quite a few products in the pet section that deal with "accidents" they are enzyme based and quite effective but the vinegar and water is cheaper and great for emergencies....if a cat smells any trace of a previous "visit" they will use that place again.

By the way, Bun is a very beautiful cat.