OMG! Gas prices!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
With the unrest in Libya, following what happened Egypt, it is inevitable, and it will effect all aspects of our lives.

And, of course, those that can buy stock in oil will probably do well.
I probably should not broche this subject but here I am. Oil is controlled by OPEC and they are the ones that control the price of oil. Also it is based on supply and demand. Now keep in mind oil is almost everywhere in the world so there is no shortage of it at all. So if you consider the fact that OPEC also determines just how much oil they feel like putting on the market they can control the price. They do the same thing with diamonds. Diamonds are everywhere but they only allow a few on the market every year.

Respectfully submitted,
OPEC may be in some control, however if the fighting were to errupt in the larger oil source countries and things got shut down, they have lost any control they had. Shortages would happen quickly and spikes in prices would happen.
They are afraid of this happening, it was in today's Wall Street Journal.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
We have a lot of tax added to our gas prices here in Ireland, as does the UK. We are about to nudge up to €7.00 per gallon, which is about $9.65 a gallon.

I would trade your prices any day.
Whoa that is just horrible. Man you just don't know how good you have it until you talk to other people.

Blessings...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM

and to think daughter thought moving 70 miles away from where hubby works was a good idea, less rent. :(
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by nana katie
I sure haven't seen an increase in our SS checks.
We probably won't either. Hey I bet the Congress gave themselves a nice raise right before Christmas. This is not sustainable.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
We definitely need to get our own resources from our own Country !!! Someone needs to get their head on straight so we can stop being dependent on other Countries !!!
Now that is the truth and we have lots of oil to get but they just let it leak naturally into the oceans because the pressure is so high it has to go someplace.

The path of least resistance...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gixxerangel
I wish they made motorcycle helmets small enough for my 3 yo DD and a car seat for the motorcyle too....I would ride my bike every day if I had all that....way cheap to fill up than my Expedition
Good friends of mine have a side car on their bike that the car seat goes in. I think they found a helmet small enough by going to a snow mobile helmet. Same protection. Both their daughters have ridden since at least age 3. I think they may have started even younger.

Unfortunately our climate here is not cooperative with riding year round. During summer I commute to work on my motorcycle unless it is pouring rain out. Have gotten caught in downpours plenty of times on the way home. If there is no rain when I leave the house I ride in summer spring and fall. No can do now until all the snow and ice melts.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM

I own a truck and a Prius. I love them both. It is OPEC that does this to us not the big oil companies. Also government regulations cause our gas to be highly refined which adds dollars to the cost of gas.

I live in America, have gone to war, and spent over 20 years protecting society as a detective and taken an oath on three occasions to protect this country from foreign and domestic enemies as well as the Constitution. These oaths do not have a time limit and I will give everything up to protect my country and the citizens thereof.

I am not in favor of raising any prices. I can not imagine the chaos if gas goes to 10 bucks. I tell you the truth we will catch fire and the streets will run with blood just as it is in the Middle East. God help us...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by TootieAnn
I went into Wal-Mart last night to buy milk and bottled water and put money on a gift card to save 3 cents a gallon on gas. When I came out of Wal-Mart, the price of gas had gone up 14 cents. UGG! Wish I had put gas in the car before I went into Wal-Mart.
The grocery store I went to offers 10 cents a gallon off when you spend $100. It was $3.41 when I went in and $3.43 when I came out!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Did you know that Ford makes a diesel car in Germany that gets all most 100 mpg? Well they do but our government will not allow it here because of the regulations they have on commerce that chokes companies to death.

Washington talks out of both sides of the mouth, it is very sad indeed.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
With the unrest in Libya, following what happened Egypt, it is inevitable, and it will effect all aspects of our lives.

And, of course, those that can buy stock in oil will probably do well.
I probably should not broche this subject but here I am. Oil is controlled by OPEC and they are the ones that control the price of oil. Also it is based on supply and demand. Now keep in mind oil is almost everywhere in the world so there is no shortage of it at all. So if you consider the fact that OPEC also determines just how much oil they feel like putting on the market they can control the price. They do the same thing with diamonds. Diamonds are everywhere but they only allow a few on the market every year.

Respectfully submitted,
OPEC may be in some control, however if the fighting were to errupt in the larger oil source countries and things got shut down, they have lost any control they had. Shortages would happen quickly and spikes in prices would happen.
They are afraid of this happening, it was in today's Wall Street Journal.
I have decided this is my last post in regard to this subject since I do not come here to get into passionate subjects about the condition of the world.

I was in the Army and am a veteran of the Viet Nam era and was a homicide cop for many many years but now retired. I respect all opinions but I suppose I am wore out from being in combat in one form or another my entire life.

LOL I knew better that to get involved in this one.

Many blessings...