OMG! Gas prices!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 AM

Unfortunately, the price of oil seems to only rise, rarely fall, so I think everyone will have to find ways to reduce. I have started consolidating my messages, so I go out less often, walking more, leaving my car in the driveway.
My DH convinced me two years ago to install a geothermal heating system for our house. We live in the suburbs of Montreal, and paid a substantial amount to be rid of oil heating. Heating with geothermal is cheap, and green! Upfront costs are high, but with the ever increasing price of oil, we think it has a 5 year payback. I have started seeing a few houses in my city converting. Yes, DH was right, it was a good idea.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 AM

Sure glad I retired -- the 55 mile round trip was hard on the car and the gas bill
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 AM

I don't understand why we can't use our own oil.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Yes, it is going to be a very trying time for us, my old coot is an independent contractor and pays for his own gas, last time this happened it was a nightmare. Here we go again :?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
I don't understand why we can't use our own oil.
We could if we had ANY wisdom left in this country and didn't fall for everything the environmentalists have spoon-fed us for years. I will say no more for fear my stress level will go up and I'll have to take more Nutri-Calm.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 AM

I heard it will be 5.00 a gallon by end of May----think it is time to finally do something about our huge oil comsumption? People forget way too quick that oil is not a renewable resource!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM

I have started buying more on line when free shipping is offered instead of driving to the store for my parrot food supples. It is not only cheaper, but with free shipping I really save money. I shoppped JoAnn fabrics on line for a couple years when free shipping is offered. PA is one of the states that collects tax on the shipping and handling fees, so that is why I wait for free shipping offers. Obama said when compaigning that gas should be $5 a gallon, guess he is going to get this one his way.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM

LOL I have a farm and dont even own a truck! I drive a yaris and haul stuff in the back! No one has to argue over the price of gas going to 10$ - it will go to 6$ by summer. The only thing that will drive it down a little is people NOT driving. The oil cos rape the planet in how they take oil out of any ground and then at how they charge for it as gas and fuel. We complain and do nothing. (when oil was first discovered in PA and started to be marketed as cars were coming on, electric cars were sold in greater numbers than gas cars - it was the oil cos that put out a concerted effort to kill ele car use thru govt regs and press/ads tothe point that ele cars went away. Gas was cheap!)
as soon as we stop using gas (walk, bike, cut driving) and the oil cos see the useage drop the price will drop until usage levels off, and that will be the new set price for gas in the US. This has been happening evry summer for several yrs now, forget all the other stuff happening on the planet - every yr theres a different "reason". More power to everyone here who can afford to drive a bohemoth vehical, and throw 100$ in a gas tank a week, I cannot and so dont. It doent matter anyway, there is a finite amt of oil on the planet, its going away faster and faster - take lots of pics of you in your gas vehicals cus your kids or grands arent likely to have them. Remember - oil is used to heat and also in fertilizers and many other things we use everyday - that will have to be addressed too, not just gas for cars - it wont be about the price of anything, it will be about what is necessary for life, food may win out over cars. If you grow/make things locally they dont have to be trucked half way around the world. I saw online on how to make a wood burning boiler from an old water heater to run a car on wood (steam driven! Jay Leno has a Stanley Steamer he drove on the tonight show to show how they run- very interesting,) I have 10 acres of scrubby trees! share t
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 AM

To his dying day, my grandfather (been dead 48 years) said the horse would come back. He always farmed with horses, never had a tractor. I am beginning to think granddad was right.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Yep, I know. The prices are different stations are crazy too. One was $3.29, another $3.17, another $3.33 and another at $3.43. Definitely going to cut into my play money.

Susan