OMG! Gas prices!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
With the unrest in Libya, following what happened Egypt, it is inevitable, and it will effect all aspects of our lives.

And, of course, those that can buy stock in oil will probably do well.
I probably should not broche this subject but here I am. Oil is controlled by OPEC and they are the ones that control the price of oil. Also it is based on supply and demand. Now keep in mind oil is almost everywhere in the world so there is no shortage of it at all. So if you consider the fact that OPEC also determines just how much oil they feel like putting on the market they can control the price. They do the same thing with diamonds. Diamonds are everywhere but they only allow a few on the market every year.

Respectfully submitted,
OPEC may be in some control, however if the fighting were to errupt in the larger oil source countries and things got shut down, they have lost any control they had. Shortages would happen quickly and spikes in prices would happen.
They are afraid of this happening, it was in today's Wall Street Journal.
I have decided this is my last post in regard to this subject since I do not come here to get into passionate subjects about the condition of the world.

I was in the Army and am a veteran of the Viet Nam era and was a homicide cop for many many years but now retired. I respect all opinions but I suppose I am wore out from being in combat in one form or another my entire life.

LOL I knew better that to get involved in this one.

Many blessings...
What I meant was, if OPEC spiked the price due to countries that export shutting down, it would not be long before no one would be buying anything, including gas, that is the control they would lose. This fighting overseas needs to stop. Probably won't though and I find that sad.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I filled up at 11 a.m for $3.12. and on my way to work at 2 p.m. it was $3.25. It doesn't take long to go up.
I agree I filled up the work vehicle at 3.23 and leaving to go home it went to 3.35! Stay-cation this year!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by gixxerangel
I wish they made motorcycle helmets small enough for my 3 yo DD and a car seat for the motorcyle too....I would ride my bike every day if I had all that....way cheap to fill up than my Expedition
Good friends of mine have a side car on their bike that the car seat goes in. I think they found a helmet small enough by going to a snow mobile helmet. Same protection. Both their daughters have ridden since at least age 3. I think they may have started even younger.

Unfortunately our climate here is not cooperative with riding year round. During summer I commute to work on my motorcycle unless it is pouring rain out. Have gotten caught in downpours plenty of times on the way home. If there is no rain when I leave the house I ride in summer spring and fall. No can do now until all the snow and ice melts.
I don't think they make sidecars for the bike I ride....I ride a sport bike, so I think the side car is out. ;)
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM

My doctors office, vet, groomer and chiropractor are all on the main street just outside my development. Since I'm in a Powerchair, maybe I should start driving it over there instead of the car. I can always come back and just plug in. I don't know how far this thing will go, but I might just have to find out. LOL
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 AM

$4.00 is nothing! To fill up my tank here costs about $100. We pay by the liter.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 AM
j

OUR motor home has a 100 gal. tank that we usually have to fill everyday that we travel. This is really going to hurt at $4 a gallon and up. Guess long trips are going to be out. That is sad. -- J.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I filled up at 11 a.m for $3.12. and on my way to work at 2 p.m. it was $3.25. It doesn't take long to go up.
Same here, I went to my quilting group yesterday and it was $3.12 on the way there. On my way home it had gone up to $3.29.
Theres no reason for this, we have oil in the ground under us. Here we go again, trickle down is going to affect everything.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 AM

Did you know that Ford makes a diesel car in Germany that gets all most 100 mpg? Well they do but our government will not allow it here because of the regulations they have on commerce that chokes companies to death.

Washington talks out of both sides of the mouth, it is very sad indeed.
Correction: Washington talks out its A**. They are only there for themselves. They could care less about US.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 AM

we live 16 miles from town so with these gas prices we make every trip count and a lot less trips I shop by the month for food , where will it end?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Gas here in Santa Barbara, Ca. was $3.59 yesterday and still going up.