Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
One of my cats ran 50ft up a tree and can't come down. >

One of my cats ran 50ft up a tree and can't come down.

One of my cats ran 50ft up a tree and can't come down.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

The last two vets I've used refuse to declaw cats. I used Soft Paws on the inside cat. That was so much better, he still had his claws but couldn't do any harm, not even to skin. The dog wasn't trying to harm the cat just play with it. The other cats ran and stopped, kinda like chase and the dog stopped when they did. This one cat wouldn't stop so the dog didn't stop either. It was a friendly dog and he ran off, I hope back to his home. If he comes back I'll take him to the vet to check for a microchip. He is too healthy to be homeless.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

call the fire department. that is what those long ladders are for. some towns don't mind doing rescue of cats.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
call the fire department. that is what those long ladders are for. some towns don't mind doing rescue of cats.
Unless you are in Jersey... you'd get charged a fee for that. Easier to have a tree service help. I would ask them to cut tree down while they were there. Cheaper than them coming back a second time.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 AM

Waiting to hear if they got the kitty down out of the tree : )
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
Unless you are in Jersey... you'd get charged a fee for that. Easier to have a tree service help. I would ask them to cut tree down while they were there. Cheaper than them coming back a second time.
Depends on the town...and the department. I know ours does not charge. One of our former fire chiefs has been teased mercilessly by the department about the cat rescue he performed during his tenure. I wasn't there at the time but apparently it was quite an adventure for him.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 AM

I'm surprised nobody has suggested KEEPING YOUR CATS INSIDE!! They are much safer, not just from cars, dogs and giant trees, but from environmental toxins and disease as well as removing them from the role of predictor on other smaller animals.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has suggested KEEPING YOUR CATS INSIDE!! They are much safer, not just from cars, dogs and giant trees, but from environmental toxins and disease as well as removing them from the role of predictor on other smaller animals.

My thought exactly.....it is a known fact cats can go up but may not be able to come down....something to do with the way their clawed grasp the surface.......BTW I have three lovely i
INDOOR cats...they are spayed and front declawed...they are all rescues....I would have them NO other way.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM

Oh I can't wait to hear the end of this story! We never had cats... children were always allergic to them. They weren't allergic to dogs, but if they ever came in contact with a cat, they started breaking out within a few minutes!

I've just started a part-time job for the local "country vet"... he'll de-claw the front paws, but doesn't like to de-claw the back. He says a cat should have at least SOME defense... If a client insists, he'll do it, though...

Hope the cat is OK!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM

I would leave some open cans of tuna fish under the tree, I bet he will come down. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 AM

I rescued a kitten from up in a tree, thicket type, where the dogs had killed the mother and rest of the litter. She was screaming uncontrollably. I did what Lynnie did,I got both hind legs and a tail in one hand and pulled. She let go of the tree, but grabbed my leg and pants. I had to hobble home with a wild kitten attached to my leg. This was in 1974-5. I let her go in the house and she lived behind the dryer for a couple weeks, then gradually came out. She wanted out so I put her in the barn where there were plenty of places to hide from that dog (neighbors). She slept in a coffee can. She was part Siamese and the most ferocious cat I've ever had. We moved and we took her with us. She had kittens and she would catch 5 pound muskrats to feed them. (We fed her too, but she felt she needed to provide for them)

Once another neighbor came over with his special hunting dog. The dog pointed at Pricilla and I warned him that she would defend herself. The guy said the dog would not attack and would be fine. A few seconds later Pricilla shredded that special hunting dogs nose and face.

Pricilla lived a long life.