Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
One of my cats ran 50ft up a tree and can't come down. >

One of my cats ran 50ft up a tree and can't come down.

One of my cats ran 50ft up a tree and can't come down.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Waiting on the tree service. Looks like rain soon too. All the cats were strays that showed up, so no, five cats aren't living in my house. The cats have a cat door into a heated utility building. I wish the cat had ran in there! I had them all neutered.
The tree service will not cut down a tree on first visit. There is a lot of planning involved in removing a large tree.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 AM

My cat ran up a tree and couldn't figure out how to get down -- he was trying to come down with his face looking out. I told him to put his tummy next to the tree and back down. He did! A miracle. First and last time a cat's ever done anything I suggested!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Cats will come down on their own, when they are hungry or need the potty. They have to back down because of the way the claws are in the paws. Prevents them from coming down head first. Backing down isn't a natural instinct so it is difficult. I had two indoor/outdoor cats years ago. I now have a 10 year indoor only cat and have saved a ton on money on vet bills.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Default Update

Tree service guys came and had no problem climbing the tree. Took about 5 min. Cat is down and seems okay. Went straight to the food bowl. He's asleep in his cat bed now in the utility room. Forgot it was a holiday. Holiday rate applied. LOL.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Cats will come down on their own, when they are hungry or need the potty. They have to back down because of the way the claws are in the paws. Prevents them from coming down head first. Backing down isn't a natural instinct so it is difficult. I had two indoor/outdoor cats years ago. I now have a 10 year indoor only cat and have saved a ton on money on vet bills.
My vet said that was not true. I called him first. Cats will not come down on their own if they have no learned climbing skills and are too high up, and this cat was up over 50ft. Too high. They will dehydrate, get disoriented and fall out of the tree but the vet bill will be more then the rescue bill so a no brainer.

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-17-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 AM

I agree with your husband , I hate those gum ball trees.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Please understand that I love cats, especially mine, but having said that, the best cat rescue I ever helped with was my neighbors cat. She ran from my dog, who was barking in my yard, and she felt I should rescue it. I got a bowl of really smelly cat food, set in on her porch, and put a fan behind it aimed at the cat in the tree. It took about an hour, but the cat came down to get the food, and I was her hero. It never occurred to me to call anyone because, grandpa once told me "Did ya ever see a cat skeleton in a tree? Me either." Lol! (I am glad your kitty is safe.)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Tree service guys came and had no problem climbing the tree. Took about 5 min. Cat is down and seems okay. Went straight to the food bowl. He's asleep in his cat bed now in the utility room. Forgot it was a holiday. Holiday rate applied. LOL.
Hallelujah!!! That is one lucky cat to have a family like yours!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad your cat was saved. Fire Dept. in my area will not save a cat. I called them years ago. From now on mine will all be declawed all four feet. I have three now and have not been outside on their own since I took them in and got shots and neutered.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Every town that has power lines has a tree service of some kind. Most of the tree climbers will do rescue work off hours for extra money. The guy went up the tree in less then a minute, got the cat, and was down in less then a minute. He said he does cat rescue but this was the highest he's seen a cat climb and he doubted the cat would have come down on his own. He estimated it to be about 70 ft high, he had to go above the cat to pick up the cat. He said don't try to pull the cat down but pick him up. No clawing or hysterics from the cat doing it that way.