Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Online Store - Customer Service >

Online Store - Customer Service

Online Store - Customer Service

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM
QKO

I've been reading a couple of threads about poor customer service in Brick and Mortar stores, i.e. WM, Joanne, LQS's, etc. One of the complaints is that you're not greeted when you come in, there's no one around to help you, etc...

Our online store has a chat function, and occasionally it's used by customers to ask questions, report a problem they're having on our website, etc.

The chat function also has the ability to invite shoppers to chat, sort of an online version of the "Can I help you?" that people seem to like in B&M stores.

Questions: How do you/would you feel when/if a window pops up on your screen and asks if you need help? If this function was used by the store owner, what would you do? Do you think this would be helpful if we used it more, or is it just irritating?

We're interested in hearing your comments. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 AM

I'd love it...I can always say "no" and close the window...I think it's a great idea!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

What a great idea!!! It would be wonderful to shop and have questions answered in real time :D:D:D
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM

I have been on a few sites that had that. I prefer it to be an option off to the side, instead of a pop-up. I understand that some people might need that reminder that it exists, though. I do love live chat. I have used it many times on several sites and it is helpful :)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 AM

I would love it, I used one on a gardening site and it was great. Sometimes I kinda know what I'm looking for but don't really know how to find it so if I could say do you have this >>>>> and they could say "we don't carry that"or whatever I would appreciate it and most likely visit that shop again. and pop up is best to get noticed
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

I like the icons that pop up that say click here to chat with an expert (agent whatever..). If I need help I know its there, if I dont need help, I won't bother the icon...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM

I would LOVE it! There's a lot of times that I spend 30 minutes in an online store and still don't find what I'm looking for. It would be so much easier to be able to type in "I'm looking for motorcycle fabric" and have them point me in the right direction or tell me that they didn't have any.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM

My browser is set to block popups because I find them annoying.
However, I DO like being able to ask a question live. Sometimes there are problems with time zones, though.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 AM
QKO

I guess you could always set your pop-up blocker to allow pop-ups from just the stores you want them from.

Also, most stores that have a chat function only show them as "online" when there's actually someone available.

Thanks for all your input! Keep it coming!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Google Goddess

I love the idea! Yes, go for it!