Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Opinions on tankless water heaters, please >

Opinions on tankless water heaters, please

Opinions on tankless water heaters, please

Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I think anything that improves the use of water and resources always are getting improvements.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 AM

My water heater just blew and I considered one for a skinny minute. I could get one from between 200-1100 but to install it, in the same place as the old one was between 3000-5000. That's too much for my budget. The summer months my gas bill for water and cooking is between 25 and 35 and there is no way I'm going to save enough to make it worth that much. My son likes his and I was looking forward to saving the extra space but not at that cost. Good luck. By the way, I priced mine thru Home Depot and was going to use thier installer. A lot of people install their own but on most of them if its not installed by a professional then it cancels the warranty, this was according to the manufacture not HD.

With my 40 gal gas and even when I had a house full of people I never ran out of hot water. I thought about getting a smaller one but they are taller and eventually my kids will have this house and they'll need bigger. When doing gas I also had the choice of different warranties, 6yrs, 9yrs or 12yrs which helped with the price. I went with the 12 yr one. I like gas, and even if my electric goes out, I can still take hot showers and cook and I have gas fireplaces.

Last edited by romanojg; 10-12-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 AM

They are great. Also LESS to go wrong (ie:NO leaking). Mine is gas (they also have Pro-pain), the price is a little more to start with. But you save so much and you NEVER run out of hot water (this is a different problem with step son, now I am unable to get him out of the shower), I would never go back. Good luck
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

The one son has one in his house. We all like it. Never-ending hot water and lower cost to operate, but was spendy to install. since they plan on staying in the house a long time they think they will recoup the cost.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM

I don't know anything about them. My brother and BIL who would know and researched them thoroughly decided not to get one. I have no idea why they chose to use a conventional one. They both replaced their water heaters last year. They sound like a good idea to me.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 PM

We were looking into it until we talked to our neighbor who's a plumber. There are 2 problems for us here:
1. The water is fairly hard and we would have to clean the crud from it about every 6 months!
2. We would have to upgrade our breaker box - the smallest one we found here used (3)50amp breakers!!

So make sure your current infrastructure can support it or look into what it would cost to upgrade your service and factor it in. It simply didn't make sense for us.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:40 PM

We had one in our previous house and we loved it. We killed out a Bosch dishwasher because the heater did not like starting with cold water all the time -- it was suggested that we make sure the water was hot in the sink and the replacement dishwasher was still going strong 12 years later. We did not get one in the house we are in now because of cost -- we had to gut the place and replace everything so it got cut.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 AM

We love ours, get hot water on demand, never run out cheaper on electric bill
Old 10-13-2015, 05:31 AM

I wanted to put one in while I was remodeling the house this year. The contractor talked me out of it since my house is all electric. I'm not sure why that makes a difference, but it does.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 AM

Our electric company highly discourages getting electric ones because they pull a lot of power when on. They actually put a "demand" meter on the house if you install one, which greatly increases your electric bill. I don't know about gas ones. I would check with your electric company on the pros and cons from the electric usage before installing an electric one.