Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!! >

Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!!

Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:16 PM

hmmm, this one I have to really think about. Initial instinct of course is to say no-way. But then there is a part of me that kinda approves of it. It's probably hard for most to understand, and I can accept that. But, having been molested for years myself, there is some measure of healing that can come from hearing the stories of others, and having a perp actually admit it is extremely rare, especially after years of denials. For me at least, there is some satisfaction in knowing that the "survivor" (don't call us a victim) is getting a measure of justice. Having the perp accept the responsibility for what they did is a huge thing in the healing process. Since it feels like such a sisterhood, victory for one of us helps all of us. Now, the fact that they're doing it in the middle of the afternoon is an big issue for me. I don't think that it's appropriate when children can see it.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM

I would love to see abusers called to account for their actions. Many abused children of my generation grew up keeping secrets and living with shame because their abusers got away with their actions. How much human potential has been lost keeping the secrets? How many suicides, alcoholic lives, and destruction of souls?

As to whether children should see it, that is up to their parents. I think seeing it with a responsible adult could lead to some secrets being uncovered and save some that are experiencing abuse now, but not having words to express what they are going through.

I am not sure this will be a great show, but I do think it will be an important one.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM

i aggree with you all of you i also stop watching this season,s show,s, most of oprah show,s this year have not been good ,and when i heard that octomom was going to be on forget it big turn off for me ,that lady just rubs me the wrong way
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Do I get stoned with fabric scraps if I admit that I have no clue as to who Monique is?

I belong to the "survivor" catagory...and believe that the only survivors are those that get beyond the abuse...those, like my sister that continually complain about it are still victims...NOT that you can't talk about it, be proactive, etc. and still be a survivor...but all she does is whine about "what happened to me", and does nothing else about it. She'll always be a victim in my eyes...
Old 04-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Charlee -- I have no idea who Monique is either!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM

monique was the actress in the movie ,she played the mother of precious
Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 AM

But why do they wait until they are famos to bring the sins of others to light? Are we less important bc we aren't famos? I was molested too, do you all want to hear all about it??????
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by nellie
monique was the actress in the movie ,she played the mother of precious

What movie?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 AM

Mo'Nique is an African American actress who won Best Supporting Actress Oscar 2010 for the movie "Precious: based on the book Push by Sapphire" (2009). She has a talk show on BET and was on a couple of sitcoms that I know of ("Moesha" and "The Parkers", a spin off of Moesha). Because she is an advocate for empowering women, I am sure this show is about showing women they can have the courage to face their accusers.

I don't usually watch Oprah either, because of the drama, but I am sure this show will help some women see they are not alone. I mean, it's still not Jerry Springer...
Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I won't be watching because I feel like it's a bid for ratings.