Other Hobbies..??

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Gardening - we own a business in the horticultural industry so we get a lot of free plants :)

My biggest hobby though is breeding and showing dogs. I'm very involved in it as well as a volunteer in governing the National Parent Club (past President, past Secretary, current Board Member, current Chair of the Judges Education Council, and columnist for the AKC Gazette magazine).

Another passion is writing. I have a regular magazine column in the premier dog magazine as well as a feature article (paid!!), and have done tons of articles for our breed magazine.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

I love reading, gardening and antiquing. Used to do a lot of renovating, houses and furniture, but not so much anymore. I can crochet, but am thinking now I should have paid attention more when my mother taught me to. I would like to knit socks, so maybe in winter I'll give it a whirl.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Most any of the arts & crafts which do not require a kiln, needle felting, punch needle, embroidery, crochet, and small scale weaving, textile arts; cooking, caving, kayaking, canoeing, camping, white water rafting, animals and pets, computers, environmental interests, gardening, dutch oven cooking, birding, writing, mentoring youth, graphic arts, traveling, bat ecology. Many things, like reading, unfortunately, have fallen by the wayside, yielding to quilting.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by liondenise
I like to crochet, read and swim - I love being outside and have even set my sewing machine up on the porch when it is nice out
I do the same thing....my back porch is my living room in the summer, and I bring my sewing machine out there too. I also love to swim, read, cross stitch and I play the guitar.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:09 AM

I have too many interests and not enough time--just like most of you. I teach piano, guitar and voice to over 40 students from my home, so, no retirement for me yet! Besides quilting (at this point, mostly collecting fabric, and clipping quilting patterns!), I love to design quilts I want to make. I am close to finishing four doll quilts for four of my granddaughters. I need to finish up the larger quilt I promised to one of my grandsons and the baby quilt for my newest baby grandson (age 1). I look forward to finishing all my UFO's, but that might be a bit optimistic!I enjoy drawing and my husband, who is an artist (a very talented one), is teaching me to paint with oils. I really would love to learn to paint wildlife. I also love to write children's stories. Reading and cuddling with my beautiful little basenji are also great (actually he's not so little anymore--too many treats!) Besides my love of the piano and guitar (and singing), I am taking lessons on the mandolin and loving it! Aah--so many fun things to do--life is too short! WLee
Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Quilting is my #1 hobby, but I also like to paint, crochet, embroider, sculpt polymer clay and make jewelry. I also love to cook!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM

I have about a half a dozen. If you will send me your address and I will send them to you.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM

If you are talking pencils, I will be happy to send you my address and a pre-THANKS! I will be happy to return the postage to you.
PM for address
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane
I have butterfly gardens. One summer I had at least 25 chrylsalis on my deck and for days there were all stages of the butterfly at a glance! I loved going to the Spice Bush and seeing the googly-eyed catepillars-too cute! We also collect pottery (McCoy and Roseville), and antiques. The antique category covers a LOT! R.A. Fox prints, anything related to sewing, Iris and Herringbone depression glassware, old linens and doilies, etc and too much ETC!
Jane, for many yrs. I haunted every antique shop/mall in every town we traveled through. My search was for Early American Pattern Glass in the Moon & Star pattern. Now I have so much glass I feel I'm drowning in it & don't know how I'm going to sell my house til I get rid of my glass first. There is a M&S grp. online just like this grp. We know every maker, it's history, & every pc. made. It's been so much fun to learn all about it. Just like we're all learning the fabric mfg'ers & pattern makers now.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Knitting, counted cross stitch and baking breads, any kind of bread.