Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Other than quilts and quilted things... >

Other than quilts and quilted things...

Other than quilts and quilted things...

Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 AM

The daughters and I spend most of the year making costumes for our Renaissance Faire that is held 2 weekends a year. Most of it is "one size fits most". Blouses, chemise, cloaks, skirts, men's pants, men's shirts, vests, doublets, corsets, kid's crusader tunics, so we can work on what ever strikes our fancy at the moment. My quilting gets done during the year in between costuming. But my latest project is trying to build a protective "sleeve" for my DH's .45 ACP magazines. I'm finding it hard to work from a small picture in a sales catalog.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM

I sew with our hospital auxiliary sewing committee which meets twice a month. We make hard stuffed heart shaped pillows for the cardiac surgery ward to give to their patients to hold to their chest after surgery. We also make breast pillows stuffed medium hard for ladies to use under their arm for a cushion following mastectomies. Also, walker bags and Linus blankets for the patients, and items to sell at our annual sewing sale, baby quilts and blankets, Christmas items, aprons and potholders, and the like. Our meetings over the last 20 years are mostly a therapy session-- cheaper than a therapist!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Sometimes I make clothes and hand bags. I was a seamstress before I ever learned to quilt.
I learned to make garments when I was 9, made my first quilt at 31.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 PM

Simple doll quilts, and recently asked by organization where I volunteer to make some playpen sheets. Went out today and bought a bunch of fabric that was 100% cotton and 60% or more off so that I have some inexpensive fabric to make more. I don't want to "spend" my pricey fabric on something that will likely be tossed out or donated within a year, but I want the sheets to be stimulating for a baby at the same time.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I sew everything. used to make all my cloth and coats. went into fur sales to learn how to sew furs. I even make flip flops out of pretty fabs. you use the rubber base and build up from there. I make my kitty a new collar every month. made her a nice 3/4" hex quilt about 50 x 5 for her to lay on looking out of the window. if it can be sewn, i'll do it.
the only thing I don't do is tat, coz I can't find someone to teach me, but I heard it's like macramé only smaller.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:59 PM

Using an old one as a pattern, I sew my own nightgowns because it's only way I get what I like. 1.5 yards of tricot and I want it cheap! They last forever - my luxary is a clean/fresh one every night so I have many !

I enjoy getting thrift or garage sale clothes and curtains and altering them to my liking. I make capris out of long pants, change buttons, etc. I get complements on my clothes and just smile !

Charity quilts for church, baby quilts for gifts, kitchen appliance covers. When grandsons were little, I made them all pajama pants alike every year.

We have 3 church members presently deployed so helping make each a patriotic quilt to give when they come home.

I have half wall between living room/dining room so I drape a table runner over it. Right now it's a long watermelon, soon to be replaced with fall theme.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 AM

I crochet and knit. I also love reading which gobbles up time as much as patchwork. After doing these two things the day is nearly over and food is a must.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

I've been making 'baby stuff', sheets, burp cloths and will be sewing some toys and bibs - mostly I make quilts/bags. Anything useful really.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:31 PM

I sew everything from clothes to slipcovers and drapes. I have always enjoyed making things and was an avid crafter for a long time. I love to repurpose things.