Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other than quilts and quilted things...

Other than quilts and quilted things...

...what else do you sew? I also sew cloth dolls and like to cross stitch.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I enjoy making clothes for the grand kids, myself and shirts for my husband. I do other crafts when the mood strikes.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    I make what I need or others need...lap blanket, wristwatch band, pocketbook, grocery bag, ironing board cover, dog and cat pads, phone protector, etc

I embroider and try to include it in my quilts.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Nice! I make clothes as well, but now just for gs. Sewing him 4 pairs of shorts right now-he picked out the fabric!

I love cross stitch too! Have made scrub tops, curtains/valances, couch pillow covers (I put velcro closure so they can be washed), not too much on clothes, but would make younger baby/child clothes if I ever get grandchildren.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I used to make all my own clothes and enjoyed it, but patterns got so expensive and ready mades got so cheap....
    I'm not good at small stuff, my mind seems to ground to a halt. I can make a full size quilt before I can finish a bag or something like that

I sew 18" doll clothes for the Salvation Army toy auxiliary, some home dec stuff for my kids, and pjs for the grandkids.
    I also do volunteer sewing in the sewing room of the local childrens hospital, and sew whatever is requested by the staff. Most recently I sewed fancy eye patches for a young child. I never know what I will be working on when I show up for my shift!

Acouple of our church ladies started sewing pillowcase dresses for the program "Little Dresses for Africa". Shorts were also needed for the boys, so I starting digging in my stash and soon had a pile of fabric for shorts. The first meeting was at my house, the second, and then the third. In 3 wks, we have completed 75 pr of shorts for the boys. I read in the Bulletin this morning that the sewing meeting will be held every Thursday aft'n at MY house. Imagine my surprise to read that!!! Works out fine as I'd just as soon have it here than carry supplies to another location. Besides dresses and shorts we're also sewing "monthly" pads for the girls to use, wash, and re-use. It's quite a reminder of how lucky we are in our country.
    Last edited by joyce blint; 07-19-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    My next largest sewing project other than quilting is pet beds for the local animal shelter. I always try to take a break from the quilting to make several beds for them. The shelter staff always seems so appreciative.

I just made a sleeveless top for myself (first clothing project in a long time). I have made a few purses in the last couple of months (not tote bag purses, but purses with zippers and snaps, credit card slots, and lining pockets, etc.

I also made smaller zipper pouches because you can use those for all kinds of things.

I have made covers for my sofa cushions and my dining room chairs.

I make American girl doll clothes for my DGD. I wonder who has the most fun with the doll....her or me. Guess I'm a kid at heart.

I also sew wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses. I a m a seamstress at a bridal shop. Quilting gives me something different to do when I get home.

I am making another bag for my best friend. She cooks and gives us half fairly often so good trade I think. I made myself a dress and a top to wear to the gym most recently. A while back I made the granddaughter an entire wardrobe for her American Girl doll. Visiting them now and son is wearing a pair of pajama pants I made him. So,this and that along with the quilts. But it is all a hobby and I can go long stretches without doing any of it and I am fine with that.
    Alyce

I like to refinish furniture, shelves etc. have done cross stitch when the mood strikes near.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    I enjoy cross stitching as well, especially incorporating beads and specialty threads/braids in the designs. The more complex - the more I like it. Here is a Christmas stocking I just completed for my nephew, it is from the Heirloom Collection designed by Donna Cooler. I've done 8 stockings so far, for immediate family.
    Name:  dominic stocking.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  163.6 KB
    Valerie

Blog Entries
    I recently made new cushion covers for my Glider rocker. Re-covered my headboard. I'm still working on re-doing an old Wing Back chair. And my next project is making a fitted cover for my love seat. Store bought ones are never right. And this way I can wash it. Try as I might I can not convince the dogs to sleep in their baskets when I'm not home. And throwing a sheet over it is not the answer. My 7 lb Min-Pin wrestles it into the corner and snuggles in to it. Takes for ever to unravel him out of a queen size sheet. Boy it's a good thing their all cute lol

I, am working on a beaded wall quilt. It has taken me 3 years so far, but as each bead gets two hand stitches, it takes some time. Mostly have worked on it while visiting a family member in hospital, It is getting close to done and I keep telling myself to get busy with it, but what is left is mostly black, and I have been in such a down mood lately, I don't want to work with black

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
    I, am working on a beaded wall quilt. It has taken me 3 years so far, but as each bead gets two hand stitches, it takes some time. Mostly have worked on it while visiting a family member in hospital, It is getting close to done and I keep telling myself to get busy with it, but what is left is mostly black, and I have been in such a down mood lately, I don't want to work with black
    I would love to see a photo of it. Sorry that you've been feeling blue. Hugs
    Valerie

I just do occasional sewing, like costumes for grandkids, aprons, zipper bags.

I only make quilts.
    I have given up all other crafts I use to do. Whatever time I have left I want to spend it making quilts. This winter I plan to donate a bunch of them to our local Food Pantry.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
    Acouple of our church ladies started sewing pillowcase dresses for the program "Little Dresses for Africa". Shorts were also needed for the boys, so I starting digging in my stash and soon had a pile of fabric for shorts. The first meeting was at my house, the second, and then the third. In 3 wks, we have completed 75 pr of shorts for the boys. I read in the Bulletin this morning that the sewing meeting will be held every Thursday aft'n at MY house. Imagine my surprise to read that!!! Works out fine as I'd just as soon have it here than carry supplies to another location. Besides dresses and shorts we're also sewing "monthly" pads for the girls to use, wash, and re-use. It's quite a reminder of how lucky we are in our country.
    What a wonderful mission you ladies are on. Keep up the fantastic work.
    Dance like no one is watching

Quote Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
    I enjoy cross stitching as well, especially incorporating beads and specialty threads/braids in the designs. The more complex - the more I like it. Here is a Christmas stocking I just completed for my nephew, it is from the Heirloom Collection designed by Donna Cooler. I've done 8 stockings so far, for immediate family.
    Name:  dominic stocking.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  163.6 KB
    I enjoy most needlework, cross stitching, embroidery, needlepoint. I also cross stitch or paper embroider cards. I am open to trying most any craft. Love this stocking, it is really well done. I am just figuring out about using beads and such to add to my work.

dd
    If it's made of fabric and fits in my machine, I have probably made it. The stranger things I've made lately are monkey beds for a local rehab/zoo, monthly pads for my daughter who doesn't like to add to the landfill and nursing pads for same reason. After her friends saw the nursing pads they all wanted them too. Now that is part of the gifts I make for showers.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I costume for the local high school productions and then also for a local community theater.

I also knit, crochet and do cross stitch. After I finish the 2 quilts I have to machine quilt this week I will be starting on things for my niece's shower. I am making her a Carpenter's Wheel quilt. I am also helping with the favors. We are knitting aprons out of cotton yarn to put on dish detergent bottles. They are really cute.

Clothes, purses, machine embroidery, crochet, home dec.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I atv, rock hound, gold pan,camp, crochet, craft many different items (right now its Trivets made with tongue depressors and beads), quilt/embroider/sew bandannas for a dog rescue (Great Danes), have veggie gardens, rose gardens and miscellaneous flower gardens. Do some wood working. I also sew garments for the granddaughters upon request!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast