Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
over fifty and knee are hurting >

over fifty and knee are hurting

over fifty and knee are hurting

Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 PM

How about Glucosomine/Chondrotine? I know people that swear by the stuff. After Woody had his knee surgeries, the vet told me to put him on two a day. I've just started myself up on it again today. I have bad knees - too many years of skiing, running, jumping rope have taken their toll.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Good deal! I went to a therapist that explained our joints need "oiling" and to oil them, we had to move the muscles....works for me! I'm 60 and I'm in better shape today than I was at 50!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 PM

I have an ankle I broke in the 70s, first diagnosis was I'd never walk again so now I figure I'm ahead of the game since I can walk a lot. But when the weather gets bad the screws in it hurt like mad. Probably calcium buildup, but I rub on DMSO cream and it makes it better. I also take MSM for long term pain in the winter, also seemed to help a little bit with migraines, they aren't so bad when taking it. If I'd only stop eating things I shouldn't would not be so bad at all. I'm 77 and feel lucky to have the mobility I have at this age.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

You are spot on...you have to keep moving or everything seizes up. I have Systemic Lupus and Psoriatic Arthritis...my rheumatologist seems to think the way I stay as mobile as I am is because I maintain my flexibility (stretching and simple yoga) and keep on the move. Keeping your weight in a healthy range is also essential. I am not even 50 (yet), so I am always a bit self-conscious on the days I have to use my walking stick.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:22 PM

I really need to get on the treadmill every day. I'm 47 and I notice that when I squat down, it's harder to stand up again than it used to be.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:24 AM

I have a friend with problems moving her hands in the AM. Her sister told her to get MSM -I think she gets it at Wal-Mart in the supplement aisle. She was very skeptical but tried it. Said it took about 2 weeks and she got up one morning and her hands didn't hurt and she could move them. Have no idea if it would work for others, but she said a bottle only cost her about $10.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the good advice :) It is amzing how time just slips up on u. One minute ur 30 and full of energy , the next minute u walk by a mirror, pause and say " who r u? " lol will def work on the streaching and arm movement..now that I have time for me ( done raising my family ) I want to enjoy every minute!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Glad to hear there are others out there walking and stretching 'with purpose'. I've heard the best exercise is to lay down on the floor . . . and then get up. Think about it - at 30 it's easy - a little more difficult at 40 and sometimes impossible at 60. :(

I'm like a cat in the morning - stttttrrrretching for quite a while!

For those with bad knees watch how your legs are when you sleep. Would putting a small flat pillow under the back of them help? So they're not perfectly straight or worse bending backwards. I have to bend mine a bit.

Great topic - let's go down fighting!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 AM

What is MSM?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 AM

Since I've lost 33lbs, my back clunks when I walk, but only sometimes. Sounds like two bones knocking together.