Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
over fifty and knee are hurting >

over fifty and knee are hurting

over fifty and knee are hurting

Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM

I am going on 61 and I walk 2 miles everyday weather permitting, which is most days. I also sleep with a pillow supporting my legs so as not to stretch my back out of wack. Since my heart problems a year & 1/2 ago, the walking has helped, lost some weight, have gotten stronger, so one needs to keep moving no matter our age.
I also make sure that when I am sewing, I have to get up and move to my ironing board. Keeps the up & down part of the old body MOVING!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 AM

I have RA. I take EPA 660 mg and DHA 340 mg (all one pill) of Fish oil a day for my joints and a supper vit for over all health, it helps. It took awhile to find a fish oil that doesn't give you the fish burps. I started going to a homaphatic doc..for my supplements this summer. It is starting to help. Her fish oil tabs are natural and pricy, but no burps so far. Good luck. I also walk 5 days a week and lift 2 and half # weights and some 5#. (dumbells) Yes, keep moving!!!! Just turned 61!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:23 AM

correction.. I take 1 fish oil twice a day..
Old 11-27-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by leonajo
After I turned 52, I started noticing a small problem getting worse. My knees and joints were really starting to hurt. They did not want to bend, squat or even fold a leg under me...and there was no getting down on my knees. I'm an active gardener and use to walk alot but had given up the walking several years ago because I never had the time. My weight is in the normal range, and I didn't have any health issues. I kept complaining to my friends til one day, someone a little older than me said since I was getting older ,that I problaly had Arthritis( shock!! me that old!!) The next morning I was on my good ol THREADMILL walking 1 mile a day. It is AMAZING! within 2 weeks my knees were 50 % better. Now I walk every morning and sometimes in the evening too. I feel so much better. So for everyone with a dusty threadmill, get on it and walk. Heck with the weight issues! do it for ur mobility.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 AM

one more thing. www.nowfoods.com is a good website. Molecularly Distilled Super EPA... check it out for fun. It also says cardiovascular support...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Is it helping you.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM

I am 65 close to 66 and my arthritis is terrible. I have it my hands, and can hardly move them when I get up in the morning and after I start using them they get a bit better but still have trouble moving my right pointer finger. I also have problems getting up in the mornig. Such pain in the knees. When sitting at computer it is hard to get going again. I use to walk a few yrs ago and did not have this problem. I need to start to walk to see if my knees feel better. My mom, when she was in her early 80 was so agile and was able to get right up from the middle of the room without any help.. Oh to be so lucky. Glad to hear that other people have trouble with their arthritis too. And they say we are in our golden years. I still have not found any gold. ha ha
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM

I am 65 close to 66 and my arthritis is terrible. I have it my hands, and can hardly move them when I get up in the morning and after I start using them they get a bit better but still have trouble moving my right pointer finger. I also have problems getting up in the mornig. Such pain in the knees. When sitting at computer it is hard to get going again. I use to walk a few yrs ago and did not have this problem. I need to start to walk to see if my knees feel better. My mom, when she was in her early 80 was so agile and was able to get right up from the middle of the room without any help.. Oh to be so lucky. Glad to hear that other people have trouble with their arthritis too. And they say we are in our golden years. I still have not found any gold. ha ha
Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Yep, moving is the key! I am 58 have had osteoarthritis for about 8 years now and fibromyalgia. I try and walk everyday. I have built up to 4 miles a day although this week it has been too cold and rainy to walk and feel the difference. It is so true, use i or lose it! Good luck!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by conniebrooks
Is it helping you.
I'm doing really well, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I went off the ugly drugs a year and half ago..