Overcoming Problems?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM

I only have a cell also, 2 of my 3 children also only have cells. The only 'down" side of me having a cell is that they expect me to answer whenever they call !
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM

I used to love my job but detested the people i worked with. i honestly think that the tension and stress of that job, coupled with the commute in ATL traffic, contributed to my heart attack late year ! The job was awesome it was the dumb butts, self centered self righteous know it all folks...from the top down that were my problem ! Seems like everyone was always trying to catch someone else doing something wrong and playing police !

ONE of my jobs was to buy all office supplies including toilet paper; I bought 2 ply toilet paper and got in trouble ! Can you believe that ? Boss said that we were on septic tank and had to use single ply; I tried to explain it didn't make any difference because the single ply was so thin that we would use twice as much ! It really ticked him off when I pointed out that the toilet paper that was used in men's bathroom was 2 ply......it came on those big industrial type rolls and the women's bathroom had to use regular toilet paper rolls !

The older I get, as I'm 64 now, crap like that is too small for me to stress over.......I'm much rather stress over what shade of red looks best on my quilt !
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM

If that dang company calls from citi bank to tell me its my last chance to lower my interest I am going to scream.. I have had so many last chances its not funny. I keep telling them to take me off my list but they keep calling. Sunday they called me seven times..seven.. geez
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sandybeach
Absolutely not!!! I really love my job. However, I can't stand the people I have to work with. They come in late, leave early, take 2 hour lunches, talk to their kids on the phone all day. Yet, "we are a TEAM" so I have to pick up their slack when they aren't there. I go home every night ready to strangle someone. Get this, on my evaluation, I got pinged because our supply room is not spotless all the time, even though 250 people can get a key with no trouble and they go in there and make a mess and drop off boxes of used stuff. And, by the way, I get yelled at if I am not at my desk to answer the phone when the other two are gone. So NO you are not alone.
Do we work in the same office? LOL.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM

I almost peed my pants reading your story. The phone ringing, and the recliner refusing to go down and the cat flying through the air trying to get out of the way. It happens to me so often. Two nights ago some research person called. It was 9:00 pm, and I was really upset about being bothered. I still can't believe that I actually said this, but I did, "What the hell are you doing calling me at 9:00 pm", and I hung up the phone. Naughty me, and I am even on the no call list. Now I keep the phone next to me, when I decide to relax for the evening.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 PM

We live in the woods and have to have a land line- no reception for cell phones including __Do you hear me now? brand.
We got the cordless ones with 3 extensions ( got them at walmart). So there is one between DH's chair and mine in the great room, one in the kitchen and one in the loft which is my sewing area.
We also have caller ID. If we don't know the number, we don't answer it!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Our machine rings 6 times before answering - long enough for DH to get to the phone. We had caller ID. Now we have U-verse and the ID shows up on the TV screen.

Most of the telemarketer/politicians ring 3-5 times and hang up. Some hang in and start their automated sales pitch as soon as our machine says "Thank you for calling..." so all we hear is the tail end of their pitch. Others hang in and cut off without leaving a message as soon as they hear our machine.

We don't even try to pick up the phone anymore since at least 95% of the calls are of this type. If they don't think we're worth a message, they are most certainly not worth any effort on out part.
That's what an answering machine is for, isn't it? It drives hubby crazy when the kids nor I run for the phone but he rarely bothers to get it himself unless he just happens to be standing near it when it rings.

I answer it when I'm expecting a call or bored. Otherwise the answering machine works just fine. If it's important--they'll leave a message.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 PM

I can relate to the recliner and the dog, but have to admit that I've given up answering the phone. We've given up our land line and I have ring-tones for hubby, the kids (all grown), and work, so if they call I know right away that I have to pick it up. Anyone else can leave a message and I'll call them back when it's convenient for me.

I'm getting contrary as I get older, but I figure that I pay for the phone for MY convenience not that of telemarketers, politicians, and my cable company to call me.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM

My new motto is: I did what other people wanted me to do for first 45 years! I will do what I WANT to do the next 45 years!!!!!!! Sometimes people don't like hearing that! Can you believe it? :lol:
Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
There are so many things happening that almost drive me to drink....do any of these things happen to you?
.....you are relaxing in the recliner; feet are up and your pets are on your lap - you are reading a book when the telephone rings......the pets won't get off your lap but FINALLY they jump down. The foot rest on the recliner is up and so stiff that you can't get it down...oh oh - there is the second ring.....you struggle to get out of that chair but something just won't let you...oh nooooo - there is the 3rd ring..........the answering machine will pick up after 4 rings so you are scurrying to answer before that. As you reach for the receiver, someone knocks at the door..but that phone MUST be answered first before the machine clicks on.....out of breath, you say, "hello"????"hello"?? and there on the other end is a RECORDING from a company. Your blood pressure goes up, and you run to the door to answer it...and find out it was just the door mat hitting the door from the wind blowing............
Oh, yes! But I must add----wet pants from struggling to get out of the chair. :oops: :oops: :oops: