Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Overused words - - -

I ask, "Did I tell you...?" However, it's not mindlessly that I do; my memory isn't reliable. I might have simply thought it rather than said it, or I might have told someone else, and I don't want to annoy the hearer with a retelling if I have already told them. So I follow it up with a very short subject matter. "Did I tell you that my mom was in the hospital last week?" Then I wait for their answer. Or at least I try to remember to ask. Sometimes my inner elderly woman launches into last week's news without fair warning!

QUOTE=bearisgray;7333883]"Did I tell you...?" - when I've already heard the story at least three times!

"Have a nice day" - it's better than someone saying "Have a bad day" - but I am hoping for "nice" for longer than a day.

"It is what it is."[/QUOTE]

My pet peeve is hearing "irregardless" ( which is not a proper word), in place of "regardless".

I didn't realize it, but while sitting with my best childhood friend at the funeral home, I was saying "Weird" a lot. "She is so weird", "That blouse looks really weird on her", It's so weird to be here today". I'm glad my friend brought it to my attention; I will try to not use it again. Weird that I would pick that word, huh?
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Pretentious words in general. "Methodology" (which means the study of methods) instead of "way."

Actually. It's the bane of my existence.

I use "then" way too much when trying to teach something. You don't see it as much because I always read my posts before I click "Post". I try to correct my mistakes and goofs, but I'm not always successful at finding all of them. Sometimes I wonder where people are looking when they type in a post. Aren't they looking at what they are writing?

The editor of our newspaper says: "I bought a ticket for my wife and I." Did you buy a ticket for I? Take the "and" out and see if it works. Our club president always says: "If you have questions, see Cindy or I." Makes me cringe every time. You don't say: "See I."
    Usually I is at the beginning of a sentence and me is at the end. Not always, but mostly.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    ...The editor of our newspaper says: "I bought a ticket for my wife and I." Did you buy a ticket for I? Take the "and" out and see if it works. Our club president always says: "If you have questions, see Cindy or I." Makes me cringe every time. You don't say: "See I."
    Usually I is at the beginning of a sentence and me is at the end. Not always, but mostly.
    That would be Phoebe and I's pet peeve. Bwahahahahaaaa! Just wanted to make y'all cringe!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Me, myself, and I used incorrectly
    The words basically, exited, neutralized, actually
    The phrase "I'm gonna have to say"
    mispronounced words such as "libarry and chimley"

I think I have a lot of pet peeves :-)
    The thing that helped me the most was joining Toastmasters and having to pay a nickel for every umm, ahh, like, and so.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    "Just." I read an article that said women tend to use this word to minimize what they are asking for, i.e., "I just wondered if you had made a decision yet," or "I'm just checking in." If I say those things and leave "just" out, I feel much stronger.
    I had never thought of "just" in this way but so true. Thank you for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO I would much rather hear... awesome, like, fabulous, so, really, or any of the other words listed, over so many foul mouthed men AND WOMEN, young and old, we seem to encounter on a daily basis, who can't get through a sentence without using the "F" word to describe just about EVERYTHING!!!!! So, like, needless to say, I just think it's really, totally awesome when a sentence can be completed without the use of foul language. Seriously!!!!
    I totally agree with you. So tired of the dirty language.

Mine would be "hope." Hope you are well, hope this or that happens, hope this finds you well. . .

The over used word that really bothers me is: No Problem. Whatever happened to you're welcome?

Blog Entries
    I know my grammar is not perfect, but bad grammar, diminishes my opinion of someone. With the caveat that I find regional linguistic traits and dialects to be wonderful.

I recently joined an online dating site. If a fellow has more than two typos or poor uses of grammar in his profile, I stop reading. If I get a message asking to meet with spelling and grammatical mistakes I politely decline.

I know I am guilty of saying "I was thinking in my head." I am trying to break that habit.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I bristle when I see or hear "gifted." (Sorry, folks. I know a lot of you use it.) "Give" or "gave" sounds more natural. We know you didn't take money or you'd say "sold."

"Gifted" also carries an extra layer of self-congratulation to my ear. (Lest you have any doubt whatsoever about my generosity, I want to emphasize it. This, of course, doesn't apply when you're on the receiving end, but what's wrong with "given"?) I realize there are many kind and generous people out there. Please don't taint your good works and actions with this word. What's really nice is to find a way that avoids transaction details altogether. For example, "The quilt is now with my nephew at college." A saying I learned years ago that has stuck with me is: "Do good by stealth and blush to find it fame."

Power Poster
    It is interesting to read about what words grate on some of us - - - -

One that irks me in print is "should of" . The correct way is "should have." Another is "should've went" instead of "should've gone."

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    "Just." I read an article that said women tend to use this word to minimize what they are asking for, i.e., "I just wondered if you had made a decision yet," or "I'm just checking in." If I say those things and leave "just" out, I feel much stronger.
    I say "just" also

Power Poster
    my DH and his brother use "and whatnot" -

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    I absolutely love when people use the conjunction " it is" with the word not ( it's not), get it? you will.
    peace
    Ask if they need a tissue
    June

My writing skills are not too bad, but if I am giving a speech or instructions, I find myself saying "OK" all through whatever I am saying. I am well aware of the problem however, my mouth spits it out before my brain can stop it from doing so.
    June

Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
    My writing skills are not too bad, but if I am giving a speech or instructions, I find myself saying "OK" all through whatever I am saying. I am well aware of the problem however, my mouth spits it out before my brain can stop it from doing so.
    I have the same habit. I became aware of it many years ago when doing a classroom presentation for a college course. My prof told me about it and I tried to stop but never quite succeeded.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    My pet peeve: "My Bad". I really hate that phrase. An "I'm sorry" is what I want to hear.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

In high school an English teacher got really upset when anyone used the word "lots". ie: I like lots of whipped cream on my sundae. She said lots were pieces of property. So that still bothers me now. Another word I dislike is 'hubby' I always want to tell the person to call their husband by their name. I would hate to be referred as wifey.

My pet peeve is the incorrect usage of the word GOT. Even the news people are using it wrong. I don't think they teach kids correct language anymore.
    "I got me a new machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    In high school an English teacher got really upset when anyone used the word "lots". ie: I like lots of whipped cream on my sundae. She said lots were pieces of property. So that still bothers me now. Another word I dislike is 'hubby' I always want to tell the person to call their husband by their name. I would hate to be referred as wifey.
    How about those guys that call their parents the "old man" and "old lady"? I'm afraid I'd have to hit someone!! LOL My predecessor used to say "Yada Yada Yada" in place of "and so on". All the time!!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast