Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Overused words - - -

Power Poster

Overused words - - -

I just realized that i use the word "really" a lot -

I really like - I really think - I really am -

Really?

Awesome - Amazing -

Any that have caught your attention? (That can be printed on this board!)

I find myself using the word ALWAYS too much.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

"Fabulous"- I find I use it quite a bit. Think I heard it continually on some tv show. Time to change stations!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I find myself using the word ALWAYS too much.
    After having taken three classes where we were repeatedly told that "always, never, every, and none" (and similar words) should be used with caution - I am careful about those.

Blog Entries
    So- so I use so as a transition in my conversation, so how do I stop saying so???
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

"Just." I read an article that said women tend to use this word to minimize what they are asking for, i.e., "I just wondered if you had made a decision yet," or "I'm just checking in." If I say those things and leave "just" out, I feel much stronger.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

For me it is "Needless to say..." There are others but I can't think of them right now.

What about when people say "to be perfectly honest..." Don't you want to say, "It doesn't have to be perfect, just honest.

I'm a "just" overuser as well, and I try to remove it from my vocabulary too, for the same reasons Willferg posted. I'm a programmer and it's mostly men that I work with and for, and sometimes I have to challenge coworkers or even an executive's decisions, so I can't be wishy-washy in what I say in those situations. (Not to say it's a real problem for me; I believe that I am treated with just as much respect as anybody else but I want to keep it that way!) I probably still use it a lot in my non-work life without realizing it, but at work I try to be very aware of how I'm presenting myself. I have to pretend to be a professional and a grown-up at work, heh.

I USED to say "like" waaaay too much too. I grew up in So Cal in the 80's so I had a terrible "valley girl" accent when I was a tween and young teen. "Like, oh my god, TOTALLY!! And then I was all like, woooah! And she was all like, whaaaat? Like, we were totally, like CRAZY!!" Ugh! Seriously, that's how I sounded - I must have been so obnoxious to talk to! It took a lot of work but I think I've finally ditched that tendency. I say "dude" sometimes still, and every once in awhile some old childhood slang like "grody" or "gnarly" will work its way into a sentence but I let those stay. I can't deny my heritage ENTIRELY! LOL

I hear a lot of people say "literally" when that's not what they mean at all, and that bothers me and I'm often tempted to say something about it.... "Your head LITERALLY exploded? Wow, you must have an amazing plastic surgeon, your head doesn't look blown up at all!" (But I don't say it...at least not out loud, LOL)

Sorry. My Dh says I apologize waaaay to often for things that I did not do, say, or have control over. I think the tendency is a carry-over from 15 years in retail and customer service. After all the customer is always right and an apology--even if it is for an imagined slight or someone else's mistake--often calmed the waters.

So I am trying to stop apologizing and gee...sorry...was I starting to ramble?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

One that I hear and grit my teeth to, is "Addicted". I hear too many people talking about something they like say, " I am so addicted to that." My 25-30+ kids use it, and older (than my kids) coworkers have used it.
    I don't mean to sound preachy, but when you have lived with someone who has an addiction of any kind, it can be annoying to have the word used all the time like my youngest does, simply because he likes a product.
    The other one is "you know". "I went to, you know the movie, you know and saw Beaches, you know and I am now addicted to that movie, you know?"
    Sorry... Actually I think we all use a phrase or word to excess at times, and it takes a conversation like this one to make us think about what we say too much, and ways to stop it.

Happy Day!
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Power Poster
    I was at some event - and the speaker used "At this point in time . . . " about twenty times.

I started to keep count!

I use "actually" quite often... and when you try to change it's amazing just how often you catch yourself saying it

I say "well" too often. Well, sometimes I use it to buy time while I think of what I'm gonna say. Or I'll drag it out before stating my opinion that's probably opposite what's wanted. ( "Well, I think you know what the truth is, but you don't want to admit it.").

The phrase that makes me want to grind my teeth to bits is "at the end of the day." Especially when I hear it at the beginning of the day!

It is like nails scraping a blackboard (of course they are obsolete so you young'uns just imagine a horrible screech!) to hear:

'actually' - misused horribly repeatedly even on radio and TV

'reach out to' - people in business are always saying they will 'reach out to' someone but it doesn't mean they will ever touch them or speak to them or invite them to anything or give them an assignment or solicit their feedback.....I think it means 'pretend to make an effort at communication and be glad if there is no response'

'gotcha' - someone I know says this repeatedly whether or not she really has got it, or whether the person she is listening to has finished speaking...
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Many years ago I had a boyfriend who made fun of how much I liked a movie, book, etc., as in "I really liked it" or "I really, really liked it" and so on. Now I find myself saying "actually" more than I should.

Words overused by others that drive me nuts - amazing (and "she did amazing"); awesome ("he did awesome"); anything that starts out with "so"; "well wishes" (where did that come from? what happened to sending someone good wishes?). I could go on and on but "actually"...I think I've said enough.

Power Poster
    ​Repeated words don't bother me as long as they are positive. I don't allow negative words in my world.

The word "perfect"
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

"Amazing"....used to describe every meal.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Well I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO I would much rather hear... awesome, like, fabulous, so, really, or any of the other words listed, over so many foul mouthed men AND WOMEN, young and old, we seem to encounter on a daily basis, who can't get through a sentence without using the "F" word to describe just about EVERYTHING!!!!! So, like, needless to say, I just think it's really, totally awesome when a sentence can be completed without the use of foul language. Seriously!!!!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO I would much rather hear... awesome, like, fabulous, so, really, or any of the other words listed, over so many foul mouthed men AND WOMEN, young and old, we seem to encounter on a daily basis, who can't get through a sentence without using the "F" word to describe just about EVERYTHING!!!!! So, like, needless to say, I just think it's really, totally awesome when a sentence can be completed without the use of foul language. Seriously!!!!
    I do agree with that - - -

On a literal basis - thoughtlessly using any names of any God or damning something bothers me a lot more than hearing the vulgar four-letter words. Most of them are temporary conditions or messy - depending on the situation.

I don't enjoy hearing the vulgarities, either - although sometimes one of them DOES describe the situation concisely!

There is a local radio announcer who puts the phrase "sort of" or "kind of" in nearly every sentence he says. One time I counted eight repetitions of "kind of" in one sentence. Language tics are contagious, so the person he was interviewing was saying "sort of" and "kind of" also. (Isn't anybody sure?) I finally had to scream and shut off the radio because I could no longer follow the context of the conversation; all I could hear were those two offending phrases.

Why is it when people discuss overused words or phrases some clown always has to compose a message using them? I say "clown" because they're supposed to be funny but so rarely are.

Blog Entries
    When people, even media spokespeople start every sentence with "I mean.." If you didn't mean it you wouldn't say it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you ever watch the show "SHARK TANK" almost every entrepreneur potential uses the word "so" to start explaining anything about their product. If you want to stop saying the word just don't. I heard Professors and engineering students use word and I look at DH and tell him "The guy is going to start off with the word "so". I used to use it often til I watched the show. Didn't take me long to break the habit. I have also tried to limit my use of the word "but" and sometimes "and". lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    So- so I use so as a transition in my conversation, so how do I stop saying so???

I love Shark Tank. Anyway, I say "really" a lot too.
    Lori

I'm one of the ones who dislikes the use of 'like' but find myself doing it far more than I should. I used to chide the 'younger set' decades ago when 'like' became the norm for every other word. But I find myself doing it more and more when speaking. I'm pretty good when it comes to written words - look for redundancy - not necessarily so much when speaking. Sigh.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast