Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Overused words - - -

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love when people use the conjunction " it is" with the word not ( it's not), get it? you will.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I do agree with that - - -

On a literal basis - thoughtlessly using any names of any God or damning something bothers me a lot more than hearing the vulgar four-letter words. Most of them are temporary conditions or messy - depending on the situation.

I don't enjoy hearing the vulgarities, either - although sometimes one of them DOES describe the situation concisely!
    I rarely use curse words unless someone has pushed me over the edge. When that happens watch out! I can make a sailor blush...haha My husband says he finds it very attractive that I don't cuss on a daily basis. I never saw the point in it. My step father never cursed and always said you don't need to "color" a conversation with those words.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    I absolutely love when people use the conjunction " it is" with the word not ( it's not), get it? you will.
    peace
    and sometimes it is!!

Power Poster
    !!!!!!!!!!!

I use more exclamation points when posting on this board -

It seems like just a . at the end of admiring a quilt is inadequate when most of the other posts have !!!!

Not minimizing yourself at work is very important for both men and women. I worked with a project manager ( a guy) who was very good at his job. I liked working with him, more than most project managers. One day, while I was at lunch I heard people who didn't work with him criticizing him.

He had a habit of qualifying every question he asked of the technical folks on the project. He used phrases like:

"I don't know too much about "X", so maybe this question is kind of 'out there'...

"It seems to me that, x and y, means z, but what do I know?"

and so on.

The next meeting of his I went to, he started minimizing himself and I rolled my eyes. That was bad of me, I know, and it even surprised me that I did it. He noticed, and, after the meeting, he asked why I had rolled my eyes.

So I told him what I had heard (not who said it), and I explained why I thought they were saying it.

To his credit, he took the eye roll and my news to heart, did not get angry with me, and I never heard him minimize his own knowledge again. About a year and a half later, he was promoted and was well respected. All that had changed was his personal presentation of himself.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I get so tired of repeated "like', 'you know', 'basically', Some people cannot speak a sentence without "you know' in between every word. Then there others who do the same with 'basically'. I'm especially annoyed by that word being used repeatedly on news and interview shows on tv. But the phrase that makes my teeth grit is "at the end of the day" that every politician thinks might make his/her opinion sound so intelligent. That one is wearing out the mute on my remote. If only they could complete a statement without it!

I am "teaching" sewing to two little girls and the youngest one has pointed out to me that I say "so" often...."so now you need to match the seams", "so now lets cut the threads", " so you can see.....". Funny! She has taken up the word too and we are having "so" much fun with that.

I use "fabulous" a lot. I may have gotten it from Ina Garten who says it all the time on Barefoot Contessa cooking show. Two phrases I am weary of: "at the end of the day" and "going forward".

Don't think (?) I have repeat words in my speech but I get (so) tired of the phases used that are so trendy on the news and tv. Do they not know transparency means "the ability to see through". How often in an interview do we hear the phase "that's a very good question" Well, if it wasn't, I wouldn't be asking.

"Have a nice day" and "you know" come to mind. Especially irritated by four letter words being used as adjectives by the linguistically challenged.

LOL, love this. Now of course I never do this LOL But I do have an Aunt, who always, always says "Now listen" before and between every statement!! Love her dearly!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    See what I'm sayin? See what I'm sayin? See what I'm sayin"? Someone trying to convince you they're telling you the truth. Ok 4-5 words. That phrase drives me bonkers.

I'm from Texas and the phrase I hear used the most and am guilty of it myself is "I'm fixin' to......." I've tried to rid myself of this but it's more difficult than I thought. Soooo I'm fixin' to start sewing. Have enjoyed this thread. It has made me have my morning chuckle.

I believe the term, to die for, is really over....done...passé....yep, abused.

I think the most overused phrases are:

"It's complicated" and "It's unacceptable".

Power Poster
    "Did I tell you...?" - when I've already heard the story at least three times!

"Have a nice day" - it's better than someone saying "Have a bad day" - but I am hoping for "nice" for longer than a day.

"It is what it is."

Ummmmm, I'm now afraid to say anything.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    "Have a nice day" and "you know" come to mind. Especially irritated by four letter words being used as adjectives by the linguistically challenged.
    I agree. There's one particular four-letter word, which grates on my nerves like no other (I'm sure you know the one). I've seen it (or a version of it) use as a noun, adjective, verb, and adverb, all in the same sentence. The 'shock' of that word has long passed. Now it just sounds stupid!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    Funny how some things irritate some of us and the rest of us are oblivious to whatever.

I am noticing that I am using "whatever" frequently.

I dislike poor grammar from tv and radio people. The one that really really annoys me is the improper use of "Me and I". In school (yes, many many many years ago) I was taught that if your sentence was something like "Mary made a cake for me" then she could definitely a cake for you and me." But that cake would never be for "you and I" Conversely, if "I made a cake for Mary" then "You and I could make a cake for Mary" but "You and me" never could. See what I mean?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    I dislike poor grammar from tv and radio people. The one that really really annoys me is the improper use of "Me and I". In school (yes, many many many years ago) I was taught that if your sentence was something like "Mary made a cake for me" then she could definitely a cake for you and me." But that cake would never be for "you and I" Conversely, if "I made a cake for Mary" then "You and I could make a cake for Mary" but "You and me" never could. See what I mean?
    Yes. Try it without the other people and see if it sounds right. ("Thanks for the card you sent I.")

"I" when it's the subject of the sentence, "me" when it's not.

Blog Entries
    After thinking about this question, I could only come up with one thing that sets my teeth on edge. That is hearing anyone say "aks" instead of "ask". Drives me crazy for some reason.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    It was the judges on America's Got Talent that got me started on thinking about this - - -

They used "awesome" and "amazing" frequently when commenting on the performances.

I have also noticed many people describe almost any good experience as "awesome" and/or "amazing."

Thank you! As an English teacher and grammar nerd, I am smiling!

QUOTE=Manalto;7333978]Yes. Try it without the other people and see if it sounds right. ("Thanks for the card you sent I.")

"I" when it's the subject of the sentence, "me" when it's not.[/QUOTE]

This example might be local to Baltimore. Do you hear people say, lazily, "and stuff like that" or "and everything" on the end of a sentence that needs concrete examples?

"My dog's got some bad habits. He barks his head off and stuff like that."

Well, sir, if his head is off, how can he keep up that bad habit?

"He chews ice and everything." Everything? Does he chew the TV, the faucet, the doorstops, the laundry basket? Surely you could think of at least three more specific examples than just ice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast