Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pay Pal Emails

Blog Entries
    Be very careful!!! I have been getting email stating my partial banking info and that its incorrect and to verify. DO NOT ANSWER THESE!!! It is not Paypal. Its strangers trying to get you to send them your banking info!

Blog Entries
    I received one of these yesterday, too. :x

thanks for the heads up. I have been getting emails from paypay but only looking at the subject line and deleting.

Yes, I too have received those scam emails reporting to be from Paypal saying there were unresolved issues with my account. They were spam and false. You need to report them to paypal and always do your homework in regards to spam!!!!!!!!!!!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I got those even before I had paypal.

I've gotten a couple of these too. I also recieved one from ebay on the same day that was a scam.

Blog Entries
    I have not gotten any but thank you for the heads up. I need to be reminded. If you knew, me you know how ture this statement is :roll:

Paypal NEVER puts a link in their emails. If you get a legitimate email from them, it will tell you to log onto your account. It will NEVER link to Paypal, as a safety feature. It's a phishing scam- they set up a site to look just like Paypal, and when you log in- they capture your username AND password. Bad bad bad.

Thanks for the reminder to be careful!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I used to forward those to Paypal and I haven't gotten any more in a long time.

I get these often, but I always report them as spam. if your spam folder isnt catching them you should report it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I just realized that since I have Gmail they've stopped!!
    I thought it was b/c I reported them to [email protected]
    In any event, I stopped getting them.
    You are correct, Paypal would NEVER send emails of that nature.

Blog Entries
    I got one of those but knew it was a false one...I do not and never have had a Pay Pal account. Just resend it to Pay Pall and let them handle it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    Paypal NEVER puts a link in their emails. If you get a legitimate email from them, it will tell you to log onto your account. It will NEVER link to Paypal, as a safety feature. It's a phishing scam- they set up a site to look just like Paypal, and when you log in- they capture your username AND password. Bad bad bad.

A legitimte email from Paypal will also address you by your Paypal name too.

OMG this scared me! last night I was ordering some fabrics from fabric.com, when I went to checkout with paypal it said my account was locked and showed the last 4 numbers of my bank acct and said for me to fill it in, so I did, and it showed my credit card partial, I filled it in then it said I had to change my password, so I did. once I got into my account I saw that sure enough someone had charged 794.00 GBP (what does that mean?) on it. well I filled out the dispute form and this morning I got an email saying that it had been refunded.
    now I'm scared and may close it, but I hate using my debit card number too.

Blog Entries
    I get these off an on. It is just horrible the things people will do to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    OMG this scared me! last night I was ordering some fabrics from fabric.com, when I went to checkout with paypal it said my account was locked and showed the last 4 numbers of my bank acct and said for me to fill it in, so I did, and it showed my credit card partial, I filled it in then it said I had to change my password, so I did. once I got into my account I saw that sure enough someone had charged 794.00 GBP (what does that mean?) on it. well I filled out the dispute form and this morning I got an email saying that it had been refunded.
    now I'm scared and may close it, but I hate using my debit card number too.
    We were recently victims of identity theft. I have no clue how they stole our debit card number and password and were able to take out the max amount of cash every day until we realized that our account had been compromised. We were in possession of our cards and the thieves were taking out money in another state. Bank or police couldn't give us any answers.

Banned
    Do you have $$ in a account that is run by paypal?....When I receive $$ for something through paypal, I automatically send it to my bank acct. Let me know an answer to my question....I am curious.

Blog Entries
    I have always wondered why someone would use their intelligence on scamming people and not use it for legitimate business. A person of these skills would be an asset to a larger company. They must have an evil heart (or greedy). My ebay account was hacked into once and my address changed to Victoria, Australia! I had purchased an item and the seller reminded me that he did not ship overseas; well, I'm in London, AR and was a bit confused-thought he didn't see the AR and thought it was England-UNTIL I went in to pay for the item! That scared me and I canceled everything on ebay and started over (there went all of my feedback!) This has made we a weeee bit more careful.

At least for me, I have no Paypal account at all. And after reading this stuff, I'm wary to open one but I really want something I see on EBay and the seller only accepts Paypal. Grrrrr!!!

Yes, and can you imagine if these thieves would use their great skills legitimately, how much they could accomplish in life!!!??? It disappoints me to no end that some people can be so nasty by stealing. I mean how would they like it if their own siblings, children, parents or good friends were also victims of such things??? Guess bottom line is....they only care about themselves and not others. Sad state of affairs.

There's no need to be scared, Kathy. All you need to do is be careful. Learn to recognize what is and what is not a valid PayPal address in the URL box of your browser. Know that PayPal never misspells its own name, never directs you to enter sensitive information "to confirm things" and ALWAYS addresses you by name or business name (however you're registered.) Most importantly - PayPal web addresses (URLs) ALWAYS begin with https://www.paypal.com/... Note the "s" in the address. If it's not there, it's not a valid PayPal address.

Lastly, if you get an email or a web page that states your account is locked/suspended/under investigation/being held for customs/whatever, stop what you are doing, open a completely new browser window. Type in www.paypal.com, log in to your account. If there is no indication of a problem noted after you log in, you can pretty much assume the problem message you got was a fake.

Don't be scared, be proactive, be smarter than would-be thieves.

Sue

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Be very careful!!! I have been getting email stating my partial banking info and that its incorrect and to verify. DO NOT ANSWER THESE!!! It is not Paypal. Its strangers trying to get you to send them your banking info!
    That is the reason I never mess with pay pal!

Billy

Blog Entries
    I received these e-mails telling me I had a refund comming from paypal and another stating a refund from my bank.
    I knew from the amounts stated were never charged. The red flag was paypal international on the e-mail.

I have a different email address for ebay and paypal so if something comes to my main email I know its false. I just send it to paypal or ebay. I have had PayPal for a bit now and haven't had any problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I don't have a credit card. so It is attached to my bank account. and I never have too much in there. I have a friend that has a separate bank account for her paypal with a minimum amount in it. I may just do that in the future.

My pay pal account was hijacked last month through fabric.com. There was a $498 charge ( in euros!) that I did not make on my credit card on that day. I canceled my card, they issued me a new number and I closed my pay pal account. If someone wants to sell me something, they have to do it without pay pal. check you statements carefully!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast