peroxide vs' bleach

Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 AM

I hate to be the dissenting factor, but I'll stick with chlorine bleach as the disinfectant in my house. Chlorine bleach will kill bacteria including aids and hepatitis C.. peroxide won't.. Studies have shown that peroxide is actually very unstable on the shelf and loses it's effectiveness quite easily. I know a number of doctors who don't use peroxide on wounds as it can be very hard on the tissue.. case in point.. you know how your skin turns white when you get it on there? It is Very effective on anaerobic infections (bacteria that require a LACK of oxygen to thrive) because when H2O2 breaks down it releases those extra oxygen molecules and the bacteria don't like it.. and it becomes plain old H2O .. yep water. That's what the bubbling is on a wound.
The key with chlorine, like anything else is using the correct amount. only a tiny bit will disinfect a lot.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Peroxide isn't a total replacement for bleach. Peroxide is better for some things; bleach is better for others.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
For years I've used peroxide to clean my rings - put them in the cap, pour enuf peroxide in to cover - let them sit awhile - brush them off with my toothbrush - rinse - put them back on.
I do that too!

However, I would never put peroxide in my laundry. I've accidentally dropped peroxide on my clothes, and the peroxide totally discolours it!
Also, my bf uses proactive to clean his face, which has peroxide in it, and all my towels have bleach stains on them.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM

It is also great for getting out blood. My dd had a bloody nose that bled on a white sweater - one bottle later and the sweater was once again white.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM

However, I would never put peroxide in my laundry. I've accidentally dropped peroxide on my clothes, and the peroxide totally discolours it!
I always pour it right onto my clothes in the washer and have never had anything discolor from it, but I think I'll start diluting it just to be safe. :-)
Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I always pour it right onto my clothes in the washer and have never had anything discolor from it, but I think I'll start diluting it just to be safe. :-)
I dunno, maybe it doesn't do any damage to the colours if they're already wet with water, or you're adding it to the clothes that are already submerged in water....
I just dropped peroxide striaght from the bottle and it took the colour out. I did it again this week, I was so mad! I just finished making a really nice puprle jersey dress, and I went to clean something and I leaned up against the counter where I had not wiped up the mess, and I ruined my dress :(