Pet Peeve

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 AM

the only marks I cant get off is from an aluminum teakettle that boiled dry and was on the stove for a long time with high heat.
I use the ceramic cleaner they sell in Home Depot, or softscrub, or sometimes baking soda, and everything comes off pretty easy except for the teakettle ring!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
I have the smooth black one and it shows the marks just as bad. I just use the stove top cleaner that's made for it, but you could spend hours standing there & still not get every little spot off, especially if you happen to let the potatoes boil over!
I also have a smooth black stove top and if I had it to do over again I would have gotten white. Every little water spot of piece of lint shows up! You can only imagine what bacon splatters do to it. The magic eraser seems to be the best.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 AM

I have the black smooth top. More work to clean that thing then the old type of stove tops! My husband ALWAYS over sprays the frying pans and then that cooks on to the surface. Geez. He also picked out the cream colored kitchen sink when we remodeled - I wanted to stay with STAINLESS steel! He doesn't scrub the coffee stains after he pours out coffee. I guess this is a a 'venting.'

The last time I cleaned the stove top I used Bartender's Friend - the cleaner that doesn't scratch. I think that did as good as job as the cleaner they gave me when we got the stove.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I was wondering how those tops would be for cleaning.

Because I still can, I bought the electric range with the "old-fashioned" burners and was thinking I was missing out on something good.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM

We use a razor blade to get stuck on stuff off our glass top. Maybe that would work for you too. Then we use the cleaner meant for glass tops because it puts a protective layer on the glass top to make it so that the next spills are not supposed to stick as hard.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:10 AM

I am so glad to see this discussed. I want to buy a new stove with two ovens. The only top is the smooth top. If I spent 1500 on a stove and I hate it I will be sick. I may rethink and just keep the electric stove I have it works good.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Getting the burned on stuff is easy, most any cleaner or scrapper will work on that. What I was livid about was the permanent marks made on the burner ring it self. These marks are burned into to the top. I was assured it would not happen with the new Maytag ceramic smooth top like the older glass tops. My mistake was not getting that in writing. Maytag just said sorry but so what. Sears said it's paid for, we don't care.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM

I have a GE Profile glass stove top and love it(black). I use a cleaner called Sidol, by Henkel (Miele). My DH buys it at an appliance store. It works well and for a final shine I spay Pledge on it. I know that sounds crazy but many have asked how I keep the stove top so clean.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Bartenders Friend! Works good on a lot of things that you need to clean even counter tops with stains on them. I agree the smooth top stoves take more elbow grease to clean and you have to be careful what pots and such you use. I had one for a while, but not have the old stand by.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

I have a GE white cooktop and love it. Yes, I have to put some elbowgrease into cleaning at times, but a scrubby and the white liquid cleaner made for cooktops does the trick.

One other thing to consider for anyont planning to buy one: what kind of pots and pans do you have. A cooktop requires flat bottom pots. Mine are stainless and work great. One of my pans is an enamel over cast iron and its bottom isn't flat. I still use it but it does have some hoit spots AND I have to be careful. Heavy pots should not be dragged or banged on the top.