Phony Numbers on Caller ID

Old 10-10-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by judyfry View Post
What is even more irritating is I got rid of the landline and now the call my cell. Especially irritating is the credit card calls to consolidate debt, that I don't even have,
Judy
I understood that calls to cells were not allowed. How the telemarketer would know the difference is beyond me. Anyways, a lawyer here in FLORIDA takes on cases where you get $250 back per telemarketer call on your cell. Not advocating suing, but it sure cuts down on the junk calls!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM

I have gotten one call with my number and name on my caller ID. You should have seen me creeping around to see who could be on the phone in my bedroom. Thank goodness no one was there but it did leave me a little uneasy for a while. I look at my caller ID and don't answer if I don't know who it is.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM

We have caller ID and if we don't know the number, don't answer. If it is a number that we know is a robocall or telemarketer server, we have been plugging in our fax machine. It then gets "recorded" by their system as a non-number (i.e. no human).

Spoofing your phone number by others is definitely a different problem.

A lot of these calls are robocalls that don't say anything unless it gets a voice response from you. We have signed up on the Do Not Call registry, but there are lists being sold by companies that fly under that rule because a company can share information.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 AM

I kept getting the same number showing up on caller I.D. Finally decided to pick up the phone and just let it sit without answering it. No more calls from that number. Yay!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:07 PM

You're talking about phone calls. Lately, I've been getting in my e-mail notifications that my message could not be sent. Either the number was unavailable or there was no pick-up at the mailbox, etc. These were for e-mails that I didn't request. The ads had a line at the bottom where you can unsubscribe, which I did and then would get the message that it was "undeliverable". So, I think it's meant to let you think you are unsubscribing but you're really not. This is really a pain. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
If you Google "caller id spoofing" you will find that there are websites that help you do this! Apparently it's been around about as long as caller ID has been around.
This is so true. A week ago some guy called, slurring his words and accusing me of putting a note on his car with my number saying I hit his car. I told him that wasn't me and he started cussing at me. I get mad when anyone does that. Finally I said that if he called again I was turning it over to the police because its a federal offense to cuss over the phone lines. All week was quiet, then this weekend while at my grandson's game I got the call again. I stopped it short telling him I was calling the police. I started walking back to the stands and here comes my son and his girl and he's holding up his phone with a recording of the whole thing. That little bugger (trust me, if I said what I really called him, I'd be kicked off this board) he set me up. There is a place they can go to do this, different messages, calls are from different numbers so they can't be blocked. I told him that the first call really made me angry so that was why I was so upset with him.

I hate now that its getting to be voting season, we'll start getting automated calls wanting endorsements. You can't do anything about them and they are supposed to be from people who want to represent us. Not even. I was told once that the do no call list, first of all expires and its so specific that it is easy for people to call you and not break that rule. I tried it once, didn't help at all.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:02 AM

[QUOTE=matraina; The ads had a line at the bottom where you can unsubscribe, which I did and then would get the message that it was "undeliverable". So, I think it's meant to let you think you are unsubscribing but you're really not. This is really a pain. Anyone else had this problem?[/QUOTE]

People get paid big bucks for each time you click on those emails, even to unsubscribe (which it doesn't do) so you end up getting more rather than less. You are better off just deleting them.