Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Photo of JoAnns in Joplin, MO >

Photo of JoAnns in Joplin, MO

Photo of JoAnns in Joplin, MO

Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 PM

That is a sad situation, and I have shed some tears for Joplin, But I have to say it is very enlightening to know that the company has took the initiative to help those who have lost there jobs. That makes you feel good, even if you are a few states away.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM

We moved from Joplin 4 years ago. A very dear friend of mine and her daughter were in JoAnns when the tornado hit. She said that they all crammed in the small bathroom and began praying. Rubble covered them quickly, but they all came out alive. She posted pictures of the pile that they crawled out of on FaceBook. I'll see if I can get it posted here. Please continue to pray for everyone there. There is alot of work to be done and many lives were lost.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM

It hurts,every time I see the news about joplin, I was born and raised south on joplin,it hits very close to my heart
I haven't lived in missouri for many years,but you never forget where you called home.

d.swindle
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Holy cow!!!

Billy
Old 06-12-2011, 04:02 PM

People for our church and community have been going to clean up -- one site at a time--today a friend reported that she found two perfect precious moments figurines in perfect condition under a pile of pure rubble. Another friend reported finding several hundred dollars in a house's rubble. We are sending lots of supplies and $$ from here. It's only 80 miles away. My son went with the Southern Baptist Missionary Board and while there in a destroyed church met a man who was back looking for his Bible. One of the visitors found the Bible!!!! Terrible devastation but such an opportunity to reach out in love.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Wouldn't it be neat to send quilts?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

In addition to what the Company is doing, JoAnn employees around the country have contributed money through their store managers/corporate office for the Joplin employees. Haven't heard how much was donated, but in this situation every bit helps.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM

That's sad...
but had a thought while looking at it....wonder where all the fabric ended up?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Just had to take a pic of the JoAnn's store. Don't think I will be shopping there anytime soon! The white you see through the windows is SKY! There is no roof or back walls. Sorry the pic is not so good, but it's hard to drive and take a picture and not run into anybody.

I heard from a clerk at the JoAnns in Fayetteville, AR that they were already planning to build a new building in Joplin before the tornado hit, and it's going to be bigger and better than the one that was there. YAY!!! I also heard that the company was extremely considerate of the employees and has taken good care of them financially and in other ways. That's really good to hear![/quote]

The company of Joann's has certainly earned my respect and business, whenever I am near one, if they stepped up and took care of their employees.
Robin in TX
Old 06-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Oh man that is so sad.