Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pillow cases

Blog Entries

pillow cases

Three friends are at a Elementary school for 8 weeks teaching girls in 3rd to 5th grade to sew. There was one boy but he decided to do something else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Great selection for a first project! Looks like they all did well. Your friends did a great job.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I've made pillow cases, and pillow cases, etc etc. Still cant figure out how to get the 3 pieces/strips, at the top. I better go to there class to learn. Very nice projects to start out with.

Very nice job on the pillowcases! How great they are learning sewing and they may turn out to be quilters! Good Job!

Great idea to teach these young girls how simple it is to sew making those pillowcases.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

What fun your friends must of had. And, I'm sure the young ladies will always remember them.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by isewman View Post
    I've made pillow cases, and pillow cases, etc etc. Still cant figure out how to get the 3 pieces/strips, at the top. I better go to there class to learn. Very nice projects to start out with.
    You Tube has bunches of tutorials on how to make them. Also check out Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Company, and then there's the Better Homes & Garden.com
    Roll it up pillow cases tutorial. I like it the best. Good luck and let us know if any of these links work. Will be watching.

uilt
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Those all look great. What fun!

This was wonderful of you and your friends to teach sewing to young children. Sewing is not taught in our schools and I think it's such a mistake.

Sewing teaches patients, skill and accomplishment. So does technology - and technology is winning. I would love to see sewing brought back as a mandatory class in elementary schools.

You're doing important work and from the looks of your smile you are truly enjoying it! Nice job.

Missouri Star Quilting has a great video on making the three fabric cases. My only suggestion would be not yo make the accent strip as wide as she does.

So cute! Pillowcases are so versatile. My church group has made (all donated) dresses out of them. The past 2 years we sent 450 to Nicaragua and Haiti and this year we'll be making about that many - some will go to the Indian reservation in Okla in March and the rest on another mission trip in June. Even a lot of the trim for strings were donated and yard and estate sale fabrics for the bias armholes, and thread - so it cost us hardly anything. Those little girls are so appreciative.

Blog Entries
    beautiful pillowcases. what did the boy do?
    All my dh's pillows are homemade.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.