Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pinterest

Blog Entries
    not too exciting....alot of artsie stuff....not into it either
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

I belong but don't really understand it.
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

I'm addicted to it! It is a great way to store ideas to some day use without having to print them out. Also to view what other quilters are interested in. I also got some good recipes stored. When I want to use one, I just click on it and I will get the instructions or recipe
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Blog Entries
    I do it but don't really get it!!

I also think it is just one more thing to keep me sitting here on this infernal machine.

I unsubscribed yesterday. I couldn't get into it, for one thing. Then, one of the bloggers I follow posted the terms and conditions where it states that you have to have the permission of the owner of any copyrighted information to pin their sites. Too much trouble for me.

I guess this pinterest in another social media thing...........too much time looking at screens, I would rather look at someone's face and talk to them....but I guess I am old fashioned.........I look at it as just another way to intrude on my privacy....so I won't go there....email is bad enough............

I love it, I have it on every computer, Ipad and phone that I own.

Blog Entries
    I can't sau I'm addicted - I put cool things on my boards that I think I'll go back to, but spend so much time on this board that I seldom look at my pins!

After reading Jacquie's comment and exploring the provided link, not for me.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnya View Post
    I have some pins from the quilting board on my pinterest. Matter of fact i have 3 boards set up just for quilting and patterns and tutorials.
    It is amazing what you can find there, I am totally addicted.
    How do you get the pictures from one site to Pinterest.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

My niece introduced me at Christmas but have only gotten on once. I need more time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janbland View Post
    I unsubscribed yesterday. I couldn't get into it, for one thing. Then, one of the bloggers I follow posted the terms and conditions where it states that you have to have the permission of the owner of any copyrighted information to pin their sites. Too much trouble for me.
    After reading this post I will have to make sure nothing is copyrighted. There are many free quilt designs that are on line now and if they are free I don't think they are copyrighted. If I am wrong I hope someone will correct me as I don't want to infringe on any copyright laws.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Northwestern Lower Michigan/Seminole, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
    Pinterest is an online pinboard, i.e., kind of like a digital bullentin board. You can set up "boards" for any topic that you choose. I have recipes, my son's upcoming birthday party ideas, clothing, quilting, etc. Then when you are browsing around Pinterest or the internet if you see something that you like you can "pin" it to your board.

I like it because it helps to visually organize things, it keeps my bookmarks from filling up, and since it is online you can access it from anywhere. So, for example, say you are visiting with a friend and you remember that you wanted to show her a new pattern or techinique that you "bookmarked". If you pinned it on Pinterest you would just log into your account and show it to her. With a regular bookmark you couldn't do that you would have to wait until you got home to email her the link. The other thing that is nice about it is there is no more forgetting why in the heck you bookmarked that site because they have moved the site or the link is dead.

Is it another time waster? Yes. However, I think it can be a nice tool if utilized properly. And since quilters are such visual people it just makes sense.
    Thanks for this info. I can see where being able to access your "bookmarks" from anywhere would be great! I requested an invitation and will be trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    AFQSinc

Thanks for the explanation! All along I had thought it was just a place where you looked at other people's "stuff". I thought ... "why?". The way you explain it, it sounds like a tool I could use. I currently drop pictures of quilts that I see here on QB and elsewhere into different folders on my desktop. Convenient yes, but only possible to access from my PC. If I'm traveling and find something interesting while browsing on my IPad I have to remember to find it again when I'm home on my PC to drop a picture of it somewhere. I might have to check into PInterest!
    I too am grateful for your explanation AFQSinc... Pinterest makes so much more sense now.

Also... Have you all tried Dropbox? It's a free file backup system that works great. After a system crash that happened after I had not made back ups of my files for a few months, we now store and work on all our files through Dropbox. I do all my work in those files and they are updated as soon as you save the file whenever you add or make changes.

No more worrying about lost work if you didn't do a backup! I bring this up because it is accessible from any online device and you can also share files across the Internet... like if you were working on a group project or wanted to show someone something you had saved.

Hand in hand it seems like Pinterest and Dropbox would have you totally covered.

Blog Entries
    I like looking at all the pictures & getting all kinds of ideas from there.

Now that's an idea! It's like looking a quilting magazines in the car, but without the paper. I have to get the app.

Pinterest is great because you can narrow the category to whatever interests you. I find it inspiring. Myocean12, just go to pinterest.com and have a look around. You don't have to register to browse. I have not signed up and see no reason to participate in that way, but there are times when I enjoy some idle scrolling along. If you can't think what to cook, for example, you can look at food. That almost always inspires me, although most of the most popular foods are sweets.
    Last edited by Rose_P; 03-03-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I NEED A 12 STEP PROGRAM FOR PINTEREST. ............... enuff said...............lol

I look, I see, I drool and yes, I Pin it. But, I do not go everyday, I do need a break from this computer. Oh bother, I do need to get the house work done, no one else does it. sigh
    ABCDEFG

EllieGirl, I feel the same way. I have an account there but I don't get the whole purpose of the thing. But all my friends think it's neato.
    Daffy

Took a look at it, but when it wanted to download all my already existing information, I deep-sixed it.
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

Quote Originally Posted by HMK View Post
    AFQ Sinc ... great explanation. I find it's like looking through a magazine and tearing out pages to keep for later reference but you immediately put it onto organized boards and there's no having to look through binders or files where you may have put them. I don't watch TV hardly at all and would much prefer to "waste my time" looking at Pinterest.
    Great explanation. I was just looking and looking and trying to remember or printing these out until someone pointed out that you can create your own boards. It is a great place to find things.
    Live and love as though today is your last day on earth.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I am going to have to come out of the closet here... I spend much more time on Pinterest than I do here! I just haven't been enthused about the changes here. And I find so much inspiration for quilts, organizing my house, and garden ideas on Pinterest.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highmtn View Post
    I NEED A 12 STEP PROGRAM FOR PINTEREST. ............... enuff said...............lol
    Right there with ya, Highmtn!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast