Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pit bull puppy ???

Quote Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
    I would never own a Pit Bull or allow my children to play in a home that had a Pit bull. I'm sure it's true that not all pit bulls are bad, but whenever something bad happens, it usually involves a pit bull. (Bad dog accidents, that is).

That said, I am personally afraid of most aggressive type dogs like Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. My brother was attacked by a large mixed bred aggressive dog when we were kids and my dad severely injured when he tried to free my brother. So I'm a Shih Tzu fan!

I am with you! Pits are gorgeous dogs but I don't want to take a chance with that jaw strength. I don't want others to be afraid of my dogs either. Yes, dogs can do damage esp if not properly trained and socialized. I used to live next door to the sweetest Rotty on one side of me and two sweet German Shepherds on the other. Those breeds KILLED my house sale! The prospective buyer backed out of the deal . She gave a lame excuse but the reality was that she feared all dogs! My subdivision had a dog or two at each house. No prob, my house quickly sold again the next day.

Socialize the heck out that new puppy. Start..NOW! expose him/her to new people every day !

sandy

ps: i have a corgi. They can be snarky, stubborn, and aggressive too! My female (deceased) had major behavior issues. I adopted her at 3 or 4. She kept ripping into my male corgi. I should have re-homed her as the only dog. A week before Christmas (2010) my sweet docile male had enough!!! We buried HER that day. He must have bit into a neck artery. It will always be a day that I will never forget. I learned some important lessons in dog ownership with her. Pretty tragic when you realize that one of the dogs will DIE in a dog fight and you start praying to God which one to let go. Sadly, it was her that I prayed would pass. I still cry when I allow myself to revisit that day in my mind. Which is not often. Yes, even the "cute" breeds can do damage.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I believe it's all how they are raised. My brother had a pit and she was the sweetest thing! My 3 yr old (at the time) got lots of loving from peanut. Never hurt him.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Quote Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
    My DD and SIL have just adopted a six week old pit bull puppy. My heart did flips when she told us that. I'm afraid my brain did a quick flash back of the stories of pit bull attacks. Those of you who have pit bulls .... would you please give me some input in their aggressiveness or lack of?

Right now I am hearing all the cute puppy stories....but still am anxious. They have no children and this is their new 'baby'.

Thank you for your input.
    There are a lot of "fear" stories out there right now. Here is a link that might help
    http://einhorninsurance.com/californ...perament-test/

There are other studies that show pretty much the same thing.
    Find a POSITIVE trainer. Please Please Please. The domination theory has been disproven time and time again and most animal behaviorists recommend the positive training way. It may take longer but it is better for the dog , and longer lasting.
    Here is a link for free downloads ... http://www.mybestbuddydogtraining.com/free-downloads/

Look up Ian Dunbar and Dr Sophia Yin..

None of these are mine or have anything to do with me.
    I did rescue for 8 yrs mostly puppies. By 9 weeks my puppies were potty trained enough to whine for me to take them out,I didn't always move fast enough, and learned to sit on command. I never never tried to dominate the puppies or rolled them on their backs . I also never had a foster returned Good luck with your new family member . Puppies are fun , and a lot of work but the love they return is all worth it.

I was at the vet once when someone came in with a little pit bull puppy that was very snarly at everyone but the owner. The vet came out (into the waiting room!) and gave them a lecture about getting their puppy around other people and training it better or they would need to put it down. I've never seen him so upset with a client in public. It seemed a bit unprofessional, but I think he was just very serious about getting the point across. I think it has a lot to do with training and teaching any dog that other people are okay.
    Thimble and Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
    I was at the vet once when someone came in with a little pit bull puppy that was very snarly at everyone but the owner. .... I think it has a lot to do with training and teaching any dog that other people are okay.
    It really, really does. We have a lab mix right now that is absolutely a nightmare on a leash, and it's totally our fault. We tried to socialize her as a pup but she got attacked by other dogs twice while on the leash and it put her into a bad place, and we weren't knowledgeable enough to bring her out of that on our own and we never got professional help. OUR FAULT.

Off the leash she is the SWEETEST thing - loving and calm. Fine around other dogs, kids, cats, men, strangers, loud noises, even strange workmen coming into the house...she just wants to stick her big head into everybody's business and collect scritches from everyone.

Put her on a leash and she becomes a MONSTER if she sees another dog. She will snarl and snap and yank at the leash, rear up, bite at the leash, even snap at me. It's horrible, and it's NOT HER FAULT.

We tried training it out of her on our own but we failed. We should have hired help but we did not realize that for far too long. Now she's an old lady so we are just dealing with her as an un-leashable dog and learning from our mistakes. Our other dogs are great on the leash in all sorts of situations - we learned. Thankfully we have a nice yard so she doesn't NEED to go on walks. Big lesson we learned at her expense, and something I will regret for a very long time. Fortunately she is very obedient off-leash, so when we need to take her to the vet or to be boarded she will tag along right at our side. Not ideal, though, due to leash laws and unleashed dogs making OTHER people nervous. Not a mistake I will repeat.

Treat any dog (or Holman) with love, discipline and kindness and he is a blessed friend for life. Make any dog (or Human) fight for their food, beat them, praise them for aggressiveness and cruelty and you have a fighter for life. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Edie: Totally understand about your position on the "Pit" name. I have a different take on the name. I so enjoy introducing people to my gentle and affectionate "Pit Bull". He is such a living example of how wrong the stereotype is that actually I like to bring up the name in some hope of desensitizing people to the label. The flip side is I have had a couple of women get hysterical at the mere sight of him sitting in the car with me. My vet says that teaching people that Pits are not dangerous is kind of a hopeless task but I think dealing with people one at a time on this issue may help.

Billi is correct, With proper training, they do make excellent house pets WITH children. I also was skeptical but then I my friend's daughter who has a young child pit bull and he was as much of a lover as any lab I have ever met. The breed has a bad reputation from evil people who should never bee allowed to own any living animal.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My friend has one and he is the most adorable big ole baby!! He has never been aggressive in the 10 years she has had him. She has three kids and he has been climbed on, rode like a horse, had his tail and ears pulled on and not once snapped at any of them. It is all how they are raised. They are not aggressive by nature but are very protective and loyal dogs. They only do what their human trains them to do.

As with all dogs, regardless of breed, they should never be left alone with small children. Plain and simple. It's usually the owners fault when a dog, regardless of breed, turns bad. When choosing a puppy, go for the outgoing, friendly pups. Not the scared one hiding in the corner, temperament always tells.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Training, training, training it is all about training. roguequilter RE: the infection I again suggest Calcium Bentonnite Clay I buy mine from Global Light Networks www.GlobalLight.net or 1-888-236-2108 for humans and animals. Use internally and/or externally. can also bathe in water with some added to your bath water. good for plants also . They are very helpful When I was on a bus trip to Phoenix the owner asked where I was staying, met me there and spent over an hour with me. That was awesome!

QB buddies, I just continue to thank everyone for the insight about the new puppy in our family. I can hardly wait to meet Daisy! Everything I am hearing from DD and SIL are positive comments about Daisy and how lovable she is.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    I like pits in general. Good training, without hitting is best. Also my friend who rehabilitates and trains pits for service dogs said chaining one up is the very worst thing you can do. Pits are people dogs and want to be around you all the time. Plate at the table, front seat, and on your lap. I wish I had the photo of my friends purebred pit, Boston terrier & 2 yr old grandson all curled up in a big ball sleeping. That dog is still as gentle as can be.
    If you look at some of the old photo's of days gone by, the very rich had them as companion dogs for their little ones, and for protection for the kids. Heck Spanky and Alfalfa had one too. Just love the little critter, and you'll be fine.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Guess I'm not with most folks on the board. I would not own a pit bull, especially with children in the house. It's just not worth the risk. That being said, I would be very cautious about ANY breed around children. I am the owner of a sheepdog, and he's very cute, but I would never let him around infants because he's bossy and unpredictable. So, yes, it does depend on the individual dog, the damage a pit bull can do in nano-second is often deadly, if not at the very least, scarring.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    my ex boyfriend had one, what a wimp. the new kitten swiped at him and took a piece of his earout.
    It's all how they are raised.
    Petey on the little rascals was a pit bull too.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

A bit of info I found on the internet that is interesting....
    that pit bulls pose a substantial danger due to their selective breeding for dogfighting. Unlike other dog breeds, pit bulls frequently fail to communicate intention prior to an attack (surprise attacks); possess a lethal bite style (hold and shake) and a ruinous manner of attack (gameness).
    It's not just the way they are raised....
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkankwilt View Post
    A bit of info I found on the internet that is interesting....
    that pit bulls pose a substantial danger due to their selective breeding for dogfighting. Unlike other dog breeds, pit bulls frequently fail to communicate intention prior to an attack (surprise attacks); possess a lethal bite style (hold and shake) and a ruinous manner of attack (gameness).
    It's not just the way they are raised....
    It is the human interference with this " selective breeding" that has destroyed so many once wonderful breeds of dogs!

Some breeds are so weak from this selective breeding...it has made them susceptible to fatal diseases too.

Staffords were a great breed and if one carefully picks the breeder who has the background info on parentage chances are the dog will be a great family dog, if the owner knows how to raise the dog. That goes for any human/animal association......

There are some human/human relationships that are frightening too.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
    I would never own a Pit Bull or allow my children to play in a home that had a Pit bull. I'm sure it's true that not all pit bulls are bad, but whenever something bad happens, it usually involves a pit bull. (Bad dog accidents, that is).

That said, I am personally afraid of most aggressive type dogs like Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. My brother was attacked by a large mixed bred aggressive dog when we were kids and my dad severely injured when he tried to free my brother. So I'm a Shih Tzu fan!
    Please keep in mind, that dogs who have no recognized "pack" will build their own. That is when you hear or dogs attacking people, no matter what breed it is, it is because the owners never bothered to learn how to be good dog owners. I will suggest that your family spend some time on youtube watching videos by Ceasar Milan. That is why although I have a dog with a reputation for stubbornness, I have no problems with him at all. Good luck, a pit bull dog can be a wonderful house pet as long as the owners are willing to learn how to be good dog owners. My friends have several that I would give a home to if needed. (This comes from a woman who nearly lost her right leg to infection from a dog mauling years ago.) When I first got my big dog, I was afraid, but he just walked over to where I was sitting on the floor, and went to sleep with his head on my lap, hard to be afraid of a dog who is snoring on your leg....lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    this thread is being closed because the topic is becoming too controversial and disturbing posts have had to be deleted
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2