Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :) >

Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :)

Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :)

Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
What a fun project!

This is my favorite with tutorials to help you.

https://www.sailrite.com/

You will probably want home dec or upholstery fabric for the project. I used a fabric that is spill proof for dining room chairs. Easy to wipe off and continue with the day. LOL.

Do you know how to make piping? Put in a zipper? Match fabric patterns? The process is step-by step just like making a quilt. Not hard.

If the homeowner isn't leaving the cushions, ask to measure them before the closing/move. Draw out any unique shapes on heavy craft paper to use for the pattern.
That's so funny that you mentioned Sailrite! I'm doing boat cushions and seats and this site is the best!!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:39 PM

if you want the cushions, put it in the contract. Chances are the owners would leave them anyway since it's unlikely they'll have a window seat the same size in their next place. I'd hate to think they'd toss them out before moving, thinking you might want new. Just be safe and write it in the contract.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I made a great big cushion, almost twin bed size. Back in the day I got a book and it really is just a box cushion. I put a big long zipper in it, zipper by the yard, and ready made welting. It wasn't hard, just cumbersome.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM

I would use sunbrella fabric our outdoor fabric so it does not fade with the sun. I have made many sofa cushions and they are not hard. Just look at your sofa cushions this will be constructed the same way. I bought a roll of zippers and the zipper pulls you put on but you are able to cut the zippers the size you want.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:34 AM

Thank you for sharing the tips and photos. I appreciate everyone's input. I didn't know zippers came on a roll to cut the size you want. Great info I will put to good use!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 AM

if it helps you gird your loins re: domestic machine, my grandmother reupholstered her couch and two different chairs using her treadle machine. A good friend made all new canvas boat cushions using her featherweight. The right thread and needle and enthusiasm!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
if it helps you gird your loins re: domestic machine, my grandmother reupholstered her couch and two different chairs using her treadle machine. A good friend made all new canvas boat cushions using her featherweight. The right thread and needle and enthusiasm!
Ha!...I liked your story and your Grandmother's enthusiasm. It won't hurt to try 1 and see how it goes. I haven't put in a zipper and did piping only once. Thanks to all for the links with tutorials.