Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :) >

Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :)

Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :)

Old 01-21-2019, 04:14 AM

Wink Please give me advice for how to cover Window Seat cushions :)

There are several areas in the new house that have a built in bench that is topped with a thick cushion below the window.

Hopefully the seller of the house will leave the cushions...yet to be determined, so I may possibly have the correct size form to cover.

Has anyone made cushion covers or used an easy tutorial you can share with me? I will be using a domestic sewing machine.

Thank you for any tips and tricks and tired and true methods you have used.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:53 AM

Are they free-standing cushions or attached to the base of the window seat, do you know?? I have not done window seat cushions but have done dining room chair seat cushions. Those were a little tricky because they had a unique corner treatment. I drew a cardboard template of the seat base and took that to my local upholsterer to have them cut me new foam pieces. Measured from bottom back edge to front bottom edge and same process for the sides to see how much fabric/seat I needed. Added in seam allowances (.5" seam allowance on home dec projects).

Used the same cardboard template (plus seam allowances) for my top pieces and then 2" strips for my edges. Made piping. Sewed it all together and stapled to the underside of the seat base.

If they are free-standing/removable cushions, you will need to put a zipper into the back of the edge/side pieces to insert the foam cushion.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 AM

What a fun project!

This is my favorite with tutorials to help you.

https://www.sailrite.com/

You will probably want home dec or upholstery fabric for the project. I used a fabric that is spill proof for dining room chairs. Easy to wipe off and continue with the day. LOL.

Do you know how to make piping? Put in a zipper? Match fabric patterns? The process is step-by step just like making a quilt. Not hard.

If the homeowner isn't leaving the cushions, ask to measure them before the closing/move. Draw out any unique shapes on heavy craft paper to use for the pattern.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 AM

I have window seats in my house and the previous owners left the cushions. Why, oh why, would the current owners want them? Also, I would ask them to leave them.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 AM
anonymous

I am working on the same project right now for my daughter's house. Here is a tutorial that I referenced. https://weallsew.com/upholstered-cushion-cover/ I have made window seat cushions before and purchased the green foam from JF. That is easy to cut to size with an electric kitchen knife. I am using home dec fabric for this cushion, but I have used quilting fabric before that I quilted using a grid. I have made them with piping and without, mostly a personal preference for the look you want.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:37 PM

I reupholstered a chair I picked up at the thrift store. Making a cushion cover is not too difficult. It is basically the same as making a boxy pillow. The only "tricky" part would be if you are not comfortable inserting zippers, but even that is just a youtube video away from being easier.

I'm sure the previous posters have sent you to some great tutes. I just wanted to add that, in addition to using upholstery fabric, use upholstery thread. Thinner thread will either cut thru the fabric or pop with regular use. Also, I wrapped a layer of batting and a thin silky lining fabric over the foam cushion. The batting softens up the edges, and the lining makes the cover slide on easily. Since it is not seen, I just used a couple of safety pins to anchor it.

FYI, Home Depot sells the 3" foam in 24"x6' sheets for cushions at a quarter of the price of the fabric store. You do have to order it online tho. It's nice, comfy stuff that holds it shape well...I've been sleeping on it for 2 years, and it still feels like new.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Are they free-standing cushions or attached to the base of the window seat, do you know?? I have not done window seat cushions but have done dining room chair seat cushions. Those were a little tricky because they had a unique corner treatment. I drew a cardboard template of the seat base and took that to my local upholsterer to have them cut me new foam pieces. Measured from bottom back edge to front bottom edge and same process for the sides to see how much fabric/seat I needed. Added in seam allowances (.5" seam allowance on home dec projects).

Used the same cardboard template (plus seam allowances) for my top pieces and then 2" strips for my edges. Made piping. Sewed it all together and stapled to the underside of the seat base.

If they are free-standing/removable cushions, you will need to put a zipper into the back of the edge/side pieces to insert the foam cushion.
Yes, they are free standing cushions. Thank you for all the detailed advice...great to know.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 AM

Thanks summitbay for the link and tips. I will check it out.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
I have window seats in my house and the previous owners left the cushions. Why, oh why, would the current owners want them? Also, I would ask them to leave them.
Yes, this! I would make that part of the deal. It is part of the house.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 AM

I don't have window seats but I did want to make cushions for my porch swing, metal bench and 2 wicker chairs. My sister had given me this large piece of sponge she used to have on her bed so I kept it knowing some day I'd find a use for it. I ordered some outdoor fabric for my projects since they'd see the sun part of the day. I made a cushion cover out of muslin and used it for a pattern for the actual cushion. For the cushions/pillows with ties I just used some my mother had given me. My cushion for the swing is a box style cushion so I added a long zipper on one edge plus ties as we have high winds around here. I also made it reversible too. I quilted the fabrics before I assembled them, then cut to fit. Also made cushions for my little deck table chairs and recovered my folding chairs to match. With leftovers I made a table cover and added an embroider design in the middle. All in all I was quite happy with the outcome. All cushions for the chairs can also be removed from the cushion so they can be washed. Sorry couldn't find my deck pics,must not have taken any.
Attached Thumbnails swing-cushion-1.jpg   swing-cushion-2.jpg   porch-pillows.jpg